News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2014 - Defense (COMBINED)

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 14, 2014, 03:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

The talent available
A veritable smorgasbord of talent with something for every alignment and type of defence. I have one player ranked in my top 10, one in my top 15, three more in my top 32, two more in my top 64, two more in my top 75 and another two in my top 100.

What do I think the Giants should do?
The Giants succession planning has been spot on in at the position in recent years with a smooth transition made from Cornelius Griffin through Barry Cofield to Linval Joseph. Whilst Joseph was a big loss there is no reason to think that Jonathan Hankins will not be able to step up, especially when you consider how well he played as a rookie. Mike Patterson did a good job in reserve as a run stopper (though he offers little pass rush) and his return should be welcomed. Shaun Rogers did a fine job for 20-odd plays per game but as he

DesG89

Good read as always Ceri. Looking forward to your DE and LB reviews. Judging from their absence in your review is it safe to say you don't think much of Tennesee's Daniel McCullers and Johnson's teammate Ego Ferguson?

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: DesG89 on April 14, 2014, 07:22:39 AM
Good read as always Ceri. Looking forward to your DE and LB reviews. Judging from their absence in your review is it safe to say you don't think much of Tennesee's Daniel McCullers and Johnson's teammate Ego Ferguson?

In the draft previews I write pen portatraits of those I consider likeliest to be taken on the first two days of the draft and then pick out a few guys who have a skill that fits in with the Giants needs at the position (as I see them) who will likely be taken on the third day.

To answer your questions, I think McCullers is overrated. He's absolutely enormous but he stands bolt upright on every single snap and moves about 3' in either direction at most. Even amongst big guys we value quickness so he's not a fit for us. Ferguson I actually prefer to Johnson but he's not as good an athlete. He is one of a number of one-techniques such as DeAndre Coleman (Cal), etc who will go in the 4th round but who don't offer the sort of size I'm looking for as a Rogers replacement so don't appeal to me.

MP21WAYS2PAY

Jaime

Ceri, I have Justin Ellis in my Mock being selected by us #152 overall. When I did my Mock a few weeks ago it seemed doable, but the buzz surrounding Ellis has him moving up the board. Agree, he could be selected in the top 100.

todge

Great stuff as usual Ceri.

I don't think there is much question the Giants are looking to the Draft for a 3T.  But who?

I would be surprised if they picked Donald because they made such a concerted effort to stopping the run with their DTs off the 2013 season. I just don't think his size and small stature will allow him to be an everydown DT in a 4/3.  If the Giants feel the same way, then I feel he would be a long shot at #12.  Hagemann at #12 is far too high.  So I think the 3T will come from the middle Rounds of this Draft and hope that Jenkins holds up the entire year.

UKGiantsFan

DEFENSIVE ENDS

The talent available
It

MightyGiants

No report on Michael Sam?  The Giants did interview him
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DesG89

Good stuff Ceri. I agree that is a bad year for DEs. MG beat me to noting Sam's absence. I guess you see him more as a 3-4 OLB

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: DesG89 on April 18, 2014, 12:21:24 PM
Good stuff Ceri. I agree that is a bad year for DEs. MG beat me to noting Sam's absence. I guess you see him more as a 3-4 OLB

Nope, I just see him as a one-trick pony.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

bamagiantfan

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 18, 2014, 12:28:19 PM

Nope, I just see him as a one-trick pony.

Yes, but its a hell of a trick.  8))

I can see why Sam is rated where he is but some expect more because he made a lot of plays in college. I'm not sure he can make those same plays against blockers who are a little faster and a little bigger. That will be his challenge.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Philosophers

The DE class is just exciting to me.  I think we clearly have other positions of need that are much greater than reaching for a DE in a less than stellar class.

Cid in Dupont

Am I the only one that thinks Aaron Donald could be a DE?  He has the motor, the speed & his size would seem better suited for that position...is this too crazy?  Just thinking...Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

Philosophers

As Ceri noted, we seem to have a DE mold and it's a few inches taller than Donald.  The guy who intrigues me as a sort of play every position along the DL is Hageman out of Minnesota.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Cid in Dupont on April 19, 2014, 02:49:52 AM
Am I the only one that thinks Aaron Donald could be a DE?  He has the motor, the speed & his size would seem better suited for that position...is this too crazy?  Just thinking...Cid

Donald could do spot duty at DE, but I would doubt he would thrive there
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE