News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can someone go over the difference between 2-gap and 3-gap technique?

Started by bamagiantfan, January 08, 2008, 09:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagiantfan

I had asked this question before and received terriffic responses and realized many had the same lack of understanding of what these terms mean that I did. I want to say GiantJason and Painter gave great insight.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

To be frank Bama, I think you are getting gap and technique confused.  I have never heard of a 3 gap, but I have heard of a 3 technique lineman.   Now Gaps are the area between offensive men on the line.   They are lettered and here is a standard diagram

There are two different options of defensive line play, one gap or two gap.  I will go into detail later.

Now there is also designations as to where a d-linemen (or linebacker for that matter) lines up.  They are designated by numbers.  Here is the diagram for that.

A 3 technique lineman lines up on the guard
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE