News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Predict the season

Started by vette5573, August 19, 2014, 04:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueMoshik

I expect a season of soaring heights and occasional downs. Excitement every week. Fresh, unpredictable play-calling. Post-game interviews in which both coaches and players tell us what they really think. Twists and turns in each game. 4th quarter heroics and follies. The commercials on TV will get shorter, and less inane. Folks on this board will wear smiles and sing kumbaya every week, regardless of the game's result.

And in the end, an 8-8 record. Team brass will remind us that this is better than 7-9 and something to build on for the future. Coach Coughlin will tell reporters that he's disappointed but in a secret talk with his players in the locker room that will be seen only by millions on YouTube he will tell them that the world can kiss his a*s. Co-owner Steve Tisch will tell the media that he looks forward to next season and then go sailing on his yacht. Co-owner John Mara will tell the media that he expected much more from the team and will decide to comb his hair to the right rather than the left.

One thing for sure: There will be many threads on Eli here. Many, many threads.   

JimboWHO

There's enough here to win some games - TC will see to that much.  But there are way too many questions that require all the correct answers for a 10 or 12 win year to result.

A .500 ish record, likely 8-8, maybe 7-9 and certainly no better than 9-7.  It's The New York Giants, after all.

JJM

Jintsman74

I had been pretty good predicting the Giants record the past couple of years but this year I am having a very hard time.  I believe the NFC East is once again a weak division. If the Giants could go at least 4-2 in the division I can see them either 8-8 or 9-7. However, if the offensive and defensives lines along Eli, his receivers and the new offense can't get it together and then I wouldn't be shocked to see 6-10. I don't feel good about the 2014 Giants.

finnref

My prediction is 5-11. We could even start off 0-5.

Our prized WR, OB, will be injured most of the year with his hamstring giving intermittent trouble. Most WR do not break out until their third year anyway. He is a mere diversion to the everlasting  hope of Giant fans.

The OL does not look like any of our pick ups are starting material so far, e.g. Schwartz.

Just think, we could have had Lewan playing for us right now. Only needed one more loss last year in those meaningless year end games. As a loyal Giants fan looking to the future, I had hoped for such. So we will pay with more losses this year. Not that Lewan would have turned us completely around, but it would have started us on the right track to improving the team. It all starts with the OL The big question is: can our leaders draft us back into a good team.

I am still hopeful that we will see a few good developments for the team this season.

JimboWHO

Good point on the O line, Finn (not that others haven't made it as well).

In yet another story - God help us - on Eli here......

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2168281-giants-offense-has-plenty-of-issues-but-eli-manning-remains-the-biggest-problem?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=new-york-giants#articles/2168281-giants-offense-has-plenty-of-issues-but-eli-manning-remains-the-biggest-problem

........ you can see them blowing the protection on a simple A gap Safety blitz in the first video.  Eli predictably reacts poorly as he makes his mind up on Cruz even though the pre-snap read had to inform him that Randle would be singled-up as the Z at the top of the screen.

I think Ed is onto something with the idea that it's tough to teach an old dog new tricks.  This shouldn't be that hard for a guy that has seen so much over 11 years. It's still early, we'll know soon enough but as Rolle says so often, you gotta "play outside the X's & O's sometimes."  Like it's a street game.

Will this new offense present a problem for him in that regard?

JJM

TONKA56

Quote from: dasher on August 19, 2014, 04:55:45 PM
I see 23 new roster faces, an inept offensive line, a new system for a QB in decline and overall questionable running back speed especially with the loss of Wilson.
Anywhere between 6-10 and 8-8 is my thinking unless the defense is absolutely lights out.
Then 9-7 is my best guess.
Unfortunately my glass is not full nor do I look through rose colored ones.

I don't see much in the way of a pass rush either. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeavyweightChamp49

Jimbo-

I understand your concern, but I would like to offer one important ingredient in a QB/WR relationship...TRUST.

While Randle may have been Eli's choice according to the read, I have been watching Eli long enough to see that once he begins to lack trust in you...he will go to those he actually trusts, even in the case where the other guy is more closely covered.

Is it the right thing to do? No. Can he get away with it? Sometimes.

Bottom line, these guys need to develop chemistry in this system and Randle in particular needs to reestablish trust in Eli.

Oh, and did I mention? Someone needs to block for him too.

JimboWHO

Quote from: HeavyweightChamp49 on August 20, 2014, 11:37:55 AM
Jimbo-

I understand your concern, but I would like to offer one important ingredient in a QB/WR relationship...TRUST.

While Randle may have been Eli's choice according to the read, I have been watching Eli long enough to see that once he begins to lack trust in you...he will go to those he actually trusts, even in the case where the other guy is more closely covered.

Bottom line, these guys need to develop chemistry in this system and Randle in particular needs to reestablish trust in Eli.

I saw Flacco trust Boldin and light it up two years ago.  I saw Tannehill and Wallace thrive as a new tandem too.  Ditto Foles & Jackson.  We just witnessed the instant chemistry of Luck and Nicks!

I can't agree with this Champ.  Eli & Randle connected for six TD's last year (and on at least a couple of 'em Randle bailed Eli out on balls that were "jump balls.")  Eli has to make the right decisions under pressure and ignore the numbers on the backs of jerseys.

JJM

HeavyweightChamp49

Quote from: JimboWHO on August 20, 2014, 12:43:38 PM
Jimbo-

I saw Flacco trust Boldin and light it up two years ago.  I saw Tannehill and Wallace thrive as a new tandem too.  Ditto Foles & Jackson.  We just witnessed the instant chemistry of Luck and Nicks!

I can't agree with this Champ.  Eli & Randle connected for six TD's last year (and on at least a couple of 'em Randle bailed Eli out on balls that were "jump balls.")  Eli has to make the right decisions under pressure and ignore the numbers on the backs of jerseys.

JJM

I am not excusing Eli, you are correct.

But this is not a new relationship. Randle himself admitted that he was in fact the culprit on many attempted connections between he and Eli last season, many of which resulted in interceptions.

JimboWHO

Quote from: HeavyweightChamp49 on August 20, 2014, 12:59:56 PM
Quote from: JimboWHO on August 20, 2014, 12:43:38 PM
Jimbo-

JJM

I am not excusing Eli, you are correct.

But this is not a new relationship. Randle himself admitted that he was in fact the culprit on many attempted connections between he and Eli last season, many of which resulted in interceptions.

Problems last year?  What better way to get rolling this year than to ID Randle singled up on the outside with a step on his man?  Looked to me like Randle made the sight adjustment on the blitz but wasn't rewarded.

JJM