News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

1958 NFL Championship Game

Started by Webster29, August 22, 2014, 03:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

OK.   Mr Matt and Jim were discussing this game on another thread.    If anyone is interested, and I hope all Giant fans are, here is a film of that game.   Some of the pictures are not that clear and at times you only get the audio but it does have some great background features on several of the players from that game.  Also Jim brought up the controversy about Frank Gifford's 3rd down run late in the game.  On that play the Colts great DE Gino Marchetti broke his leg and had to be attended to.  Giff has always said that during the delay to take care of Gino the officials mispotted the ball short of the line to gain.  He was sure he made the first down.  I have looked at the play several times and have tried to be objective.  Sometimes I think he made it and sometimes I think he was short.  If you go to around 2:06.25 of the film you can watch the play.  The picture is not real clear and it is a bad angle to see it very well but take a look and decide for yourself.   Bad ending but some great history here.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlj0lWngCc

jimv

Thanks for putting that up, Bill!  But, I have no desire to watch it.  The goal line stand when we were down 3 - 14 was amazing!

Shoelessjoe

Jim / Bill:

Wasn't Rosy Brown besides playing OLT also playing defense on that goldline stance due to an injury to that other Rosy.

jimv

No Frank.  Brown & Stroud regularly played on the goal line stand team.  They'd take out  two LBs & insert them.  As I've said before, I think Rosey Brown would've made the Hall of Fame if he had played only DT.

Shoelessjoe

Jim:

Gifford has been quoted as saying that he was the best athlete on the team.