News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Significant Plays in Giants' History

Started by jimv, November 08, 2018, 02:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

1.)  50 yard FG in the snow.

2.)  4th and 17.

3.)  The "Catch."

4.)  The "Fumble."

5.)  Selecting to defend the east end zone.

Giant Obsession

Jim,

Great topic.

Your no.1 reminds me of exactly why our present day team gets beat with so many ungodly long distance FG at games end.  Kickers who are hitting well beyond their "range" and personal bests to that point.

Their is the film clip of Mr. Summeralls FG that day that i will try and find.  I mean this was the late '50's and rarely was a FG of that length ever attempted.  Chewed up turf, snow, cold....very lousy conditions.  yet when you watch that clip the FG would have been good from 60 yards out.  It did not crawl over the crossbar.  there must be an adrenaline reservoir that a few of these guys can tap into is the only way I can explain it.  To me, prejudice aside, it was THE most amazing FG I have ever seen.

It is hard to add to your list, but here goes.

The HIT -- just to watch that mouthpiece fly out the RB mouth == gives me shivers.  And i am glad it was by Gary Reasons, too often overlooked a a very fine LB in our Golden Era and the perfect 4th LB for our 3 - 4 defense.

The Fake Punt --  again Gary Reasons.  In that game if the Fumble was #1, this play was #1A.

The 5th FG -- same game.  That baby was just left of the upright starting out and never wavered an inch in the 42 yards it travelled.  There are days I still do not believe we beat that team in their own home.  It is #1 on my sweetest non SuperBowl victories.

The Hakeem Hail Mary....last play of the first half against GB.  GB with Rodgers and all his weapons at home seeking revenge for 4 years earlier.  That play sunk them and even a 2nd half of dubious officiating could not raise their Titanic.

"Bye Bye Perfect Season" --  Kent Graham to Amani Toomer and Denver's 12-0 record goes swirling down the bowl.

Eli Comes of Age and Commands our Destiny --  Actually this encompasses 2 games.
  a.  The season ender against Dallas his rookie year after some very hard growing pains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpSQkaWNr84

b.  The next year...year 2 of the Manning era vs. Denver.  Enjoy his footwork on the last play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKisO_3f3N4

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

jimv

Obs, I've seen that clip of Summerall's  FG many times.  But, I don't know how to get it.  The sad thing is that I never got to see it live!  I was living in NY at the time and all the home games were blacked out.  I listened to it on the radio. ~X(  Earlier in the game, Frank Gifford threw a TD pass to Bob Schnelker.

LennG

It's almost game time, but let me throw a few out there, that do NOT get all the publicity

SBXXV  Hoss hits Mark Ingram well short of a 1st down but Ingram miraculously weaves his way for that 1st down

SBLVII--After 'The Catch'  Eli hits Smith for an out that was well short of the 1st down but Smith does another miraculous job of extending the play before he goes out of bounds for that 1st down.

AND let's not forget the turning point for that season, Cruz catches a short out and turns it into a 99 yard TD.

Got to go but I'll be back with a few others.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Corrections: The Catch & Smith's catch & run happened in SB XLII & Cruz's great play happened prior to SB XLVI.

LennG

Quote from: jimv on November 14, 2018, 02:16:40 PM
Corrections: The Catch & Smith's catch & run happened in SB XLII & Cruz's great play happened prior to SB XLVI.

Isn't that what I wrote?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Scared Homie

weeze

Hmmmmm. Well for me, the absolute destruction of Joe "thinks he jesus" Montana. I couldn't have been happier then when that happened. Karma, just Karma, he so had it coming and I had waited so ling for that to happened and it finally did, at a very acute time also. Seen with a whole bunch of rowdy fans that I did not know personally, we had so much fun during that game and it was the bar of my neighborhood Bowling Alley! again I think.
  The elusive ELI to throw the catch on the head.
The time on Monday night football when Mort called a T O  for the Eagles because he couldn't find LT when he approached the center. Lt was out for that play. Every once in a while Mort alludes to it. At the time , if I remember correctly, the announcers didn't know why the TO was called. I am thinking it didn't get out to the public for weeks...I think. Long time ago ya know?
and SO manyh more, the time Sehorn grabbed the ball out of the air and sprinted right past the kickoff team. That was a good un. the goal line stand against the stinkin niners when Gary Reason when up and met the runner in mid air for a dead stop... man there are just so many.
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

weeze

it wasn't the giants but just the same, the time Ferrotte knocked himself out hitting his head agaist the wall in celebration in Washington. Really enjoyed that. Just had to give it honorable mention!
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

jimv

weeze, I just now saw you last two posts.  GREAT!!!  But, Reasons' great stop was against the Broncos in Denver during a snow storm.

Giant Jim

LT's 2nd half against Detroit on Thanksgiving. The TD interception was the icing on the cake.

philo43

NapoleonBlownapart

My Dad (whom passed away in 2005) told me stories about:

WR/DB/K HOF Ward Cuff.  Dad wasn't sure if it was 1938 or 1939 but Cuff made a spectacular one armed in stride catch @ the Polo grounds for a game winning 78 yard TD vs the Brooklyn Dodgers.

WR/RB/DB Kyle Rote. a picture of this catch still hangs in the Giants offices...  Dad said Rotes famous one handed leaping grab for a TD in the back of the end zone at Yankee Stadium, was one of the best catches he had ever seen by anyone.  Dad said it was similar to Lynn Swans leaping grab on the sidelines in SB 10.  the difference? Rote was in the back of the end zone for a TD! the stadium erupted