News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NYG history vs. Atlanta Falcons

Started by Giant Obsession, September 27, 2014, 02:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

Next Sunday, the Blue face what has been a pesky opponent in their history.  The Giants and Falcons have faced each other 22 times in their history, each winning 11.  The last meeting last year I hope is emblazened in our coaching staff and players.

The Atlanta Falcons came into the NFL in 1966 coached by Norb Hecker.  They promptly dropped their first 9 games.  Then they ventured into Yankee Stadium to face the 1-7-1 Giants.  What ensued was one of many embarrassments the 1966 Giants would suffer that year.

A 27-16 loss at home in which the Giants never lead.  This expansion winless franchise caused 4 turnovers and had 7 sacks of Giant quarterbacks Tom Kennedy and Gary Wood.
Amazingly, the Giants actually outrushed and out gained their opponents in total yards and committed only 2 penalties.

Two years later, 1968, a hopefully very different Giant team went to Atlanta sporting a perfect 4-0 record and thoughts of resurrecting their climb back to an ultra competitive franchise.  They had Fran Tarkenton at the helm and the mercurial Homer Jones at WR along with great complimentary receivers Aaron Thomas and the venerable Joe Morrison.  The running game seemed more than adequate with Tucker Frederickson, Ernie Koy, and newcomer Bobby Duhon and Ronnie "Bye Bye" Blye.  The defense was anchored by a group of young veteran DB's, including Spider Lockhart.

The Falcons meanwhile continued to suffer from a lack of talent and were mired at 0-4 and had fired Coach Hecker that Monday after winning only 4 of their first 31 games.  He was replaced by HOF QB and Tarkenton's former Viking coach Norm Van Brocklin.  The bad blood between Tarkenton and Van Brocklin was legendary in the Vikings organization.  One of the many comments Van Brocklin made about Tarkenton after he resigned in Minnesota was "he's a loser".

So the stage was set for what should have been an easy win for the Giants and a chance to extend to 5-0 in a 14 game season.  Alas, Van Brocklin proved to be quite the motivator that day, with an assist from 3 fumbles lost by the Blue.  In fact, this day started what for me has become a common thread that exists to this day for the Giants...being beaten by the backup QB.  The Giants knocked out starter Randy Johnson in the 2nd quarter with a knee injury only to have Bob Berry, Tarkenton's backup in Minnesota, come in and have Atlanta ahead 24-21 late in the fourth quarter.  Tarkenton deftly marched the Giants downfield for the potential game winning score.  Facing a 3rd and 1 on the Atlanta 11 with 2 minutes left, Sir Francis eschewed a ground attack that had rolled up 180 yards and tried a rollout to the left pass play.  he was pressured and floated a very catchable ball towards Aaron Thomas in the end zone.  But unable to set up and throw with any ferocity the floater was intercepted by Lee Calland and the perfect season became a vapor.

The Giants would rally briefly that year beating Dallas in Dallas and take their record to 7-3, but sadly dropped their last 4 games for the 2nd consecutive and 3rd in 4 years .500 season.  Van Brocklin and the Falcons would go on to win only 1 more game the rest of the season.  It was billed as a game of revenge.....Van Brocklin vs. Tarkenton...but what resulted was the most gut wrenching loss of the Tarkenton era in New York.

Another noteable footnote in this rivalry is the game played in November of 2004 at Giants Stadium.  It marked the beginning of the Eli Manning era.  A loss...14-10, with Michael Vick rushing for 104 yards.  Eli was 17-37, 1 TD, 2 int.  But every great story has a beginning, and that was Eli's.

For anyone interested I have listed below the series results.

If anyone has any other memories of any of those games or the ones I discussed , please feel free to add.  history is meant to be shared, to learn from, and hopefully in many cases not to be repeated.

Also, I do have highlights from the 1968 game which i will be glad to send to anyone interested...just need an email address from you.

Finally, this is your team and your teams history.  if you have any specific requests please feel free to let me know. 

12/16/2012 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA) L 34-0 70,741
01/08/2012 * New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H MetLife Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) W 24-2 79,909
11/22/2009 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H Giants Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) W 34-31, OT 78,491
10/15/2007 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA) W 31-10 69,828
10/15/2006 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA) W 27-14 70,840
11/21/2004 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H Giants Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) L 14-10 78,793
11/09/2003 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H Giants Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) L 27-7 78,813
10/13/2002 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H Giants Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) L 17-10 78,728
10/08/2000 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA) W 13-6 50,947
10/11/1998 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H Giants Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) L 34-20 71,173
10/23/1988 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, GA) W 23-16 --
10/14/1984 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, GA) W 19-7 --
09/11/1983 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, GA) W 16-13, OT --
09/12/1982 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H Giants Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) L 16-14 --
10/25/1981 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, GA) W 27-24, OT --
11/11/1979 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H Giants Stadium (East Rutherford, NJ) W 24-3 --
10/01/1978 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, GA) L 23-20 --
10/02/1977 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, GA) L 17-3 --
10/06/1974 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H Yale Bowl (New Haven, CT) L 14-7 --
11/14/1971 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, GA) W 21-17 --
10/13/1968 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, GA) L 24-21 --
11/20/1966 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons H Yankee Stadium (Bronx, NY) L 27-16 
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

ELCHALJE

And, in the long list of backup QBs, was it not an Atlanta QB (Doug ______?) who we made look like Joe Montana?  When was that?

Giant Obsession

In 1985, ouir prep year for the Super Bowl we were 10-6.

three of those losses came to backup QB's, including the infamous Joe Theismann broken leg.  In fact against Cleveland we knocked out Gary Danielson, who was starting in place of an injured Bernie Kosar.  Kosar came in to relieve and we knocked him out of the game.  Cleveland only had 2 quarterbacks on the roster, so they had to send the already injured Danielson back out to finish the game.  The second Dallas game they had to finish with their 3rd string QB.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

Giant Obsession

Quite a see saw affair, played on a Saturday.  we trailed 21-7 in the 2nd quarter and by midway in the 4th had scored 26 unanswered points for a 33-21 lead.  Browns score their last 2 possessions and then Simms drives us into makeable FG range with 4 seconds left.  The immortal Eric Schubert hooks it to the right.  Game over.
Mike

BlueMoshik

Giant Obsession

Quote from: BlueMoshik on September 27, 2014, 09:12:14 PM
Wasn't the 2002 game a loss?

Correct...my bad....copied from an Atlanta website....since corrected.  thanks for catching that Sir :)
Mike

MightyGiants

10/15/2007 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA) W 31-10 69,828

I believe that was a BBH meetup at FishKill NY.  A bunch of BBHers met at a bar and enjoyed this victory in the "Giants room".   Dasher Dale treated us all to t-shirts and I got to meet many BBHers for the first time.  Great game and great times.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BlueMoshik

What I remember from that godawful 2002 game is thinking, "why can't Kerry Collins be a little more like this Doug Johnson kid?"

Webster29

Mike, great post.   I enjoyed that.

I have very few memories of the Falcons but there are two that really stick out.  The most recent one (I am trying to black out my memory of last years game) was the big play off win in January 2012.  MY son and I attended that game.  Met life was just rocking.   It was the loudest game I had been to at the new stadium.  Even an old fart like me was jumping, hollering, high fiving everyone and waving our Giants towels. 

The other big memory I have of the Falcs didn't involve the Giants at all.   My wife, her sister, a buddy of mine and I attended a Falcons at Bills game.  There were two big mammas sitting in front of us and each one had a pom pom in each hand.  Every play from scrimmage even if it was nothing more then a simple dive play to the line of scrimmage these two gals would raise these pom poms up so they were right in front of my wife's and her sisters face so they had to stand up to see what was happening.  Of course row after row of people behind us then had to stand up to see and they started complaining about it.  So my wife tapped one of the gals on the shoulder and politely ask them to stop waving the pom poms in their faces as they can't see and the domino effect on the rows behind.   The gal said nothing.  Next play up went the pom poms so my wife again asked them politely to keep them down.  This one big blond who looked like a lady wrestler gets up and turns around and blurts out who back there can't see.  The folks behind us said nothing so the blond looks at my wife and her sister and says apparently it is just you two and if you don't like it go sit somewhere else.   Next play the pom poms came up but this time my wife reaches out and gabs her arm and pulls it down.  The two girls started to come over the seats and I had to dive between them and my wife to keep them apart.  These two also had some guy with them, boyfriend perhaps and he was pretty sizable too.  But he wanted no part of the situation and tried to calm the girls down.  Anyway grabbing the arm by my wife worked as the pom poms stayed down the rest of the game.  And the two gals said no more to us until after the game when one of them  turned around and said "We'll see you girls up here again sometime". 

jimv

Giant Obsession

Mike

bamagiantfan

10/15/2006 New York Giants Atlanta Falcons A Georgia Dome (Atlanta, GA) W 27-14 70,840

This was the first football game I ever took my son to see. He was 8 years old at the time and we drove over to Atlanta to make a day of it. There were several things about that day I will never forget.

We arrived early and watched the Giants warm up. I remembered thinking how small Hasslebeck was and what a great arm he had. One of the things that was interesting is that Eli was working on fade routes with Plaxico Burress. On one, Eli put what seemed like the perfect touch on the ball and dropped it right into Plaxico
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

jimv

TERRIFIC STORY, Mitch!  I assume your son is still a Giant fan.  One thing I was glad to see you mention was Toomer's down field blocking.  He's probably the best WR blocker I've ever seen.

bamagiantfan

He is still a fan Jim, but the patience lesson remains hard for him. As a fan of the Giants and the Crimson Tide, he thinks one or the other is supposed to win a title every year. That's the only history he has to go on.   :laugh:
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

jimv

Maybe you ought to teach him about the late 60s & 70s, Mitch. :yes: