News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

HISTORY -- NYG vs. Philadelphia Eagles -- Part ONE

Started by Giant Obsession, October 07, 2014, 01:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

The Philadelphia Eagles joined the NFL back in 1933.  The season series stands at 84-76-2. Through the years they have been involved in MANY memorable games with the Blue.  A lot of those games were (and for some of us still are) honestly quite painful to swallow.  But it is a rich history, which I will post in 2 or 3 installments this week.  I hope you enjoy.

It is a series that started rather benignly with the Giants winning 17 of the first 20 games played.  But in 1960, the matchup of these 2 teams began a life of its own....in many ways a historical life.

1960 -- In a hard hitting game, an Eagle team that would go on to win the championship that year over Lombardi's 2nd Packer team, beat the Giants 17-10.  But the story of the game was a play that in Eagle lore is referred to as "The Hit".    The link will tell you why. 
Chuk BEDNARIK plaquage Frank Grifford
Gifford was removed on a stretcher and taken to the dressing room and on to the hospital.  During that 4th quarter a fan suffered what proved to be a fatal heart attack.  He was taken to a room off the dressing room for emergency assistance and a priest was summoned.   The game ended and as the Giants trudged into the locker room they saw the priest in the other room administering last rites.  Many of the Giants mistakenly assumed it was Gifford's body in the other room with the priest and believed that Gifford had died from the hit.

1964 -- Coming off 3 straight Eastern Division first place finishes but failing each time in the Championship, the "64 Giants were a blend of aging veterans but many controversial trades that off season as Allie Sherman sought to remold his defense but still field a team capable of returning for another try to the Championship game.
The first game of the season was at Franklin field and the first play after the kickoff was a preview for the entire season.  A handoff to Earl Gros by Norm Snead resulted in a 59 yard TD gallop paving the way to a 38-7 route. The resulting season of 2-10-2 followed.
https://www.profootballresearchers.org/Coffin_Corner/22-05-867.pdf

1970 -- A resurgent Giant team lead by Fran Tarkenton, winners of 6 straight, including back to back breathtaking victories over Dallas and Washington the previous two weeks, strode into Philadelphia for the very first appearance on Monday Night Football.  The Eagles stood at 1-7-1 in a season where they would only win 3 games.
Alas, the Giants would play their worst game of the season in front of a national audience...losing 3 fumbles and dropping 2 wide open TD passes and slump home with a 23-20 loss.  And ultimately they would lose their division by 1 game.

1972 -- In a somewhat resurgent season under Alex Webster and lead by Norm snead, Ron Johnson, and Bob Tucker the 6-4 Giants met an Eagle team that was to win only 2 games that year.  This was NOT one of them.  The Giants rolled on air and ground and late in the 3rd period lead 41-10.  Not wanting to inflict any further embarrassment on his old friend Eagle coach Ed Khayat, Webster replaced Snead with backup Randy Johnson who was under orders to run and only pass short.  Unfortunately the Eagles were so disinterested in the game by now that 2 short passes to Don Herrmann resulted in 32 and 63 yard TD's.  That combined with a 2 yard run by Johnson resulted in an embarrassing pasting of 62-10.  After the game Webster apologized and consoled Khayat (who would be fired at years end) as the two walked off the field together.

1973 -- Buoyed by an 8-6 finish the previous season and winners of all 6, yes SIX, of their preseason games, the Giants were ready to make a serious challenge in 1973.  Add to that a resounding win over Houston in their opener at The Stadium, and the Giants were on a roll.  Week 2 was to send in the sacrificial Eagles for the very last Giant game at Yankee Stadium, which was to undergo a 2 year renovation.  The Giants were to play the rest of their "home" games in the Yale Bowl that year.  Despite rolling up over 400 yards of offense, the Giants found themselves trailing 23-20 in the last 2 minutes.  The video tells the story...........
The resurgence was dead.  The Giants won 1 more game that year finishing winless in their "new" home.

1978 -- November 19 to be exact.  This game propelled the Eagles to their first playoff appearance since 1960 and ultimately proved to pave the way for a new era of Giant football under new GM and Vice President George Young.  Historically this game proved the old adage "it is always darkest before the dawn".  "Miracle in the Meadowlands" it is called by many, most of us simply know it as "The Fumble."
Eagles vs Giants 1978: "The Miracle in The Meadowlands" -Insane Last Play Fumble Return.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Webster29

Thanks Mike.   A great job again.    But I can't watch the "fumble".   It was the angriest I have ever been after a Giant game.   The apartment building I used to live in had a hole in the wall until the day it burnt down a few years ago.   Put there by me right after that game.

Giant Obsession

Bill, i understand.  For some reason I am completely the opposite.  it is not that I enjoy rewatching losses, or in this case///disasters.....actually I have no logical reason for it, but I can.  And I do get a varying degree of sad afterwards, depending on the game.

I reconciled "the fumble" years ago.  Without it, we would probably have muddled to a 7-9 or 8-8 season, which was an improvement.  And as much as I love Wellington Mara and Andy Robustelli (GM at the time) I fear we would have just continued down the same path of those last 15 years....occasional daylight followed by long darkness.

The fumble begat George Young basically, and his moves, drafts and hirings lead us into a very nice era and seem to plant us on a solid ground with the rest of the NFL for our future.  I am outspoken about the to me childishness of not mentioning Joe P. by name, but I will respect it.  Fact is, the guy played his guts out for us...and the fumble was not his fault.  Bob Gibson was the culprit and he was fired the next day and like Ray H. disappeared from the NFL forever more.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

Webster29

Mike:  I agree with everything you said.   But for me, at the moment it happened I had no idea what it would lead to.   I just lost it.   God I was Pi**ed.  And of course everyone I knew spent the next several weeks reminding me of what happened.

jimv

GREAT job on the history write-ups, Obs! <:-P  I hope you're doing it for every game.

MightyGiants

In some ways I think the Eagles could be the greatest of the Giants rivals (edging out Dallas).  The reason I say that is there have been more odd and big plays going against the Giants when they play the Eagles than any team I could think of.  Plus the Giants and Eagles often have been good at the same time. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

Quote from: jimv on October 07, 2014, 10:15:52 AM
GREAT job on the history write-ups, Obs! <:-P  I hope you're doing it for every game.
That is definitely my plan Jim.   It is time consuming because I am trying to double check all my facts and memories and find something video wise because I know that is what the younger members relate more easily to, but it is a labor of love.  Hope to have Part 2 ready for tomorrow.
Mike

murderhill

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 07, 2014, 11:50:21 AM
In some ways I think the Eagles could be the greatest of the Giants rivals (edging out Dallas).  The reason I say that is there have been more odd and big plays going against the Giants when they play the Eagles than any team I could think of.  Plus the Giants and Eagles often have been good at the same time.
Good point Rich.  In my opinion, these rivals have taken their turns.  Washington during the Allen years and the over-the-hill gang years were the ones that stick in my mind.  I actually came to admire some Redskin players like Fischer, Kilmer and Jurgenson.  I hated Allen with his finger licking habits with a passion.  Hated the Oline hogs.

The "Fumble", for me was the quintessential bungle.  If one believes in yin and yang principals, you have to have an event like the "fumble" to offset the Tyree and Manningham catches or the JPP blocked punt in Dallas.

BlueMoshik

Isn't that Frank Gifford narrating the clip of the 1973 tie game?

Suburbanites II

Great job GO, it's great having a board historian, you would have made Christopher Allen proud.

Giant Obsession

Quote from: Suburbanites II on October 07, 2014, 02:44:32 PM
Great job GO, it's great having a board historian, you would have made Christopher Allen proud.
I am humbled by such a statement, but thank you.  Honestly, there is no comparison, I long for those lessons Chris used to deliver back in the day.  He was a true source of knowledge in depth from every angle regarding NYG.

History will always be a labor of love.  Too many regard history as living in the past.  Quite the contrary, history is to be celebrated, embraced, and its lessons applied to the future.
Mike

Giant Obsession

Quote from: BlueMoshik on October 07, 2014, 12:42:28 PM

No, it isn't.  I am trying to think or remeber his name.  Will keep researching, but know it is not Frank.
Mike

Giant Obsession

Quote from: Giant Obsession on October 07, 2014, 05:51:57 PM
Quote from: BlueMoshik on October 07, 2014, 12:42:28 PM

No, it isn't.  I am trying to think or remeber his name.  Will keep researching, but know it is not Frank.

I am embarrassed, that is the unmistakeable voice of Ray Scott.
Mike

Giant Obsession

Quote from: murderhill on October 07, 2014, 12:20:18 PM
Quote from: MightyGiants on October 07, 2014, 11:50:21 AM
Good point Rich.  In my opinion, these rivals have taken their turns.  Washington during the Allen years and the over-the-hill gang years were the ones that stick in my mind.  I actually came to admire some Redskin players like Fischer, Kilmer and Jurgenson.  I hated Allen with his finger licking habits with a passion.  Hated the Oline hogs.

The "Fumble", for me was the quintessential bungle.  If one believes in yin and yang principals, you have to have an event like the "fumble" to offset the Tyree and Manningham catches or the JPP blocked punt in Dallas.

I hope down the line to do a thread on George Allen  in relation to the Giants.  I.M.O. he would have been a great coach for the Raiders, he cared only about winning....by any means/methods necessary.
Mike