News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Any Baseball rules questions answered here

Started by LennG, October 14, 2014, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Most know I have been a baseball umpire for well over 40 years now and always considered myself a good to very good knowledgeable person as far as rules go. So if anyone ahs any rules questions, ask away and I'll see what I can do to answer them.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

When they the stat line for a player at bat, what does OPS mean?

Giant Obsession

Quote from: jimv on October 14, 2014, 12:58:30 PM
Jim, allow me.

OPS is the combination of the players "on base" percentage plus their "slugging" percentage.  Basically, it is used to measure not only a players ability to get on base, but to hit for power also.

An OPS of .900 is phenomenal.  .700 denotes an average player's OPS.

This is all part of the new sabermetrics way of measuring players.  David Cone in particular loves sabermetrics.  This and other sabermetrics measures sprang forth in the mid 1980's from a book called "The Hidden Game of Baseball".  peter Gammons then championed the heck out of it and it has slowly wormed its way into most of baseball.

Most of their stats involve adjustments for the player based on the park and the league in which he plays.

For me the purist, I have not warmed to it at all.  If I had to make my living as a GM I would probably give it more attention and credence.

Hope this helps.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Giant Obsession

Lenn, acouple of years ago at the pro level they outlawed the pitcher doing the fake to 3rd then throw to first with runners on the corners.

Why did they outlaw it ?  And was it forbidden at other levels as well ?

honestly, I never saw the harm in it.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

jimv

THANKS, Obs!!!  Now I know it's just another stat that I can ignore.  It's like that new fangled PFF in the NFL.  I don't have a clue what the numbers mean & how they're arrived at.  And, to be honest, I don't care!  I can see with my eyes whether a guy is playing well or not.

Sem

Not a question but I remember hearing something interesting back in September. You guys probably already know about this but back in September when Giancarlo Stanton was hit in the face by Mike Fiers it was ruled a strike as apparently he swung at the pitch, making the count 0-2. Because he couldn't continue Reed Johnson came in to pinch hit with an 0-2 count. Fiers then hit Johnson, who, it was ruled also swung at the pitch during the act of getting hit. So two batters both get HBP in the same at bat, and the end result is a strikeout. I wonder if that's ever happened before in MLB.

Giant Obsession

Quote from: nygsem on October 15, 2014, 07:23:21 PM
Not a question but I remember hearing something interesting back in September. You guys probably already know about this but back in September when Giancarlo Stanton was hit in the face by Mike Fiers it was ruled a strike as apparently he swung at the pitch, making the count 0-2. Because he couldn't continue Reed Johnson came in to pinch hit with an 0-2 count. Fiers then hit Johnson, who, it was ruled also swung at the pitch during the act of getting hit. So two batters both get HBP in the same at bat, and the end result is a strikeout. I wonder if that's ever happened before in MLB.

That is a heck of a question.  I never knew how the at bat finished because all the focus of course was on Stanton.

But, I am sure deep in the computerized bowels of MLB they would know.  I have never heard of it happening, but they have been playing this game for a long long time.  there is probably a website somewhere that can connect you with an answer.  If I find out I will post it and shoot you a PM.
Mike

Sem

Thanks Mike. It's weird for sure. I know it's the only time I've ever heard of it happening. Although I've been following baseball since the mid-60's, I do so much less than now when I was a teen, prior to free agency. Back then I knew most team's rosters it seemed. Now, aside from watching most of the Yankee games, I no longer pay much attention to the sport except at World Series time.

LennG

Quote from: jimv on October 14, 2014, 12:58:30 PM

GO already explained it to you, but is THAT a rules question?  :o :o :o :o

I know nothing of stats as I don't follow baseball, but GO was nice enough to explain it to you.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Quote from: nygsem on October 16, 2014, 10:43:54 AM
Thanks Mike. It's weird for sure. I know it's the only time I've ever heard of it happening. Although I've been following baseball since the mid-60's, I do so much less than now when I was a teen, prior to free agency. Back then I knew most team's rosters it seemed. Now, aside from watching most of the Yankee games, I no longer pay much attention to the sport except at World Series time.

The great thing about watching the Yankees is the Yes Network.  Best camera coverage from every angle.

And, if that incident had happened at a Yankee game they would have had the answer to your question.  They seem to have a guy plugged into Elias and within an inning of anything happening tell you if/when it ever happened, no matter what the incident/record or rule.

Mike

LennG

Quote from: Giant Obsession on October 15, 2014, 06:52:46 PM
Lenn, acouple of years ago at the pro level they outlawed the pitcher doing the fake to 3rd then throw to first with runners on the corners.

Why did they outlaw it ?  And was it forbidden at other levels as well ?

honestly, I never saw the harm in it.

The play you speak of was changed just this past year. It is now a balk to do that 'fake to 3rd, spin around and throw to 1st'. Why it was changed, believe me, I have no idea, either does most of my fellow umpires. The only thing we could think of, in an effort to try and speed the game up, and that play NEVER caught anyone, was to basically penalize the pitcher for trying it.

As of yet, this new rule hasn't filtered down to college or HS baseball, but I expect it to in the next year or so. In HS, I have seen the play work every once in a while, but many pitchers abuse it, doing it 2,3 even 4 times in a row.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Apologies Lenn, I just realized I am partially guilty for taking this thread askew.  Will modify immediately and make a new threat with my rant. 
Mike

LennG

Mike

\ Don't bother. It's fine. I enjoy the banter.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: nygsem on October 15, 2014, 07:23:21 PM

That is a pretty unusual thing. Something like ONE batter getting HBP, and having a strike called on him because he swung is an unusual thing in itself, but twice in the same at bat is probably a new record.
Things like this usually happen on a bunt, when the batter squares to bunt and the ball comes in on him, but the way batters crowd the plate now and pitchers are determined to pitch inside, I can see it happening more and more.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on October 16, 2014, 12:29:59 PM
Mike

\ Don't bother. It's fine. I enjoy the banter.

Lenn, appreciate it, but I know how i feel when threads go off line and I do appreciate the fact you are volunteering your expertise.  I love the rules of baseball, and your explanation to my question rang my memory bell.  I do believe that was the complaint (slowing the game down).

I also have seen that play work once but seen it tried hundreds of times.

My favorite play was always the "hidden ball trick", which I know Gene Michael pulled off 3 or 4 times in his career as a Yankee.  Great part of that play was the pitcher had to be off the mound or was it off the rubber ?(correct me if i am wrong).  I have only seen it once in maybe the last 20-30 years which amazes me because todays modern players are half asleep on the basepaths sometimes...poster child "Robbie Cano".

Thanks again for your explanation.
Mike