News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Any Baseball rules questions answered here

Started by LennG, October 14, 2014, 11:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Mike

The hidden ball trick is very difficult to pull off because most teams call time as soon as a play is over. This is especially true in HS ball. Why, I have no idea, it's just they are taught that from LL on up, call time and nothing more can happen. As an umpire, we have the right not to grant time, and I usually don't unless a player needs time. But anyway, if time is called then the pitcher has to go back on the rubber to put the ball in play, nullifying the hidden ball trick.

As to where the pitcher has to be, has always been a bone of contention. The rule book specifically says the pitcher can't be 'on or astride the rubber' without the ball. Never even mentions being off the mound comp[lately, but that seems to have always been the accepted rule, like he must be in the grass area, off the mound. Where this came from, I don't know but that is what I follow.
Since most of my games are 2 man games, it is hard sometimes to even know when, or if, a team is trying the hidden ball trick. I'm not sure if my partner called time, who has the ball. Sometimes a team will come over to me, sort of whispering that they are going to do it so be aware. That is the best way . I see it work maybe once a year, rarely on a HS level, mostly summer league ball. But hey, if we can get an easy out, go for it.  :D :D :D :D :D
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

Quote from: nygsem on October 15, 2014, 07:23:21 PM
Not a question but I remember hearing something interesting back in September. You guys probably already know about this but back in September when Giancarlo Stanton was hit in the face by Mike Fiers it was ruled a strike as apparently he swung at the pitch, making the count 0-2. Because he couldn't continue Reed Johnson came in to pinch hit with an 0-2 count. Fiers then hit Johnson, who, it was ruled also swung at the pitch during the act of getting hit. So two batters both get HBP in the same at bat, and the end result is a strikeout. I wonder if that's ever happened before in MLB.

Another little bit of information about that at bat is Stanton also has the strikeout on his record.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Sem

Quote from: ps11yat14 on October 16, 2014, 06:20:53 PM
Quote from: nygsem on October 15, 2014, 07:23:21 PM
Not a question but I remember hearing something interesting back in September. You guys probably already know about this but back in September when Giancarlo Stanton was hit in the face by Mike Fiers it was ruled a strike as apparently he swung at the pitch, making the count 0-2. Because he couldn't continue Reed Johnson came in to pinch hit with an 0-2 count. Fiers then hit Johnson, who, it was ruled also swung at the pitch during the act of getting hit. So two batters both get HBP in the same at bat, and the end result is a strikeout. I wonder if that's ever happened before in MLB.

Another little bit of information about that at bat is Stanton also has the strikeout on his record.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I was wondering who the K went to.

LennG

If I am not mistaken, if a batter assumes the count with 1 strike on him, and he then strikes out, it is on him, but if he comes up with 2 strikes then it is on the batter he replaced.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on October 16, 2014, 07:19:20 PM

If I am not mistaken, if a batter assumes the count with 1 strike on him, and he then strikes out, it is on him, but if he comes up with 2 strikes then it is on the batter he replaced.

Absolutely correct on that Lenn.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Giant Obsession

Lenn,

A thought....is there any way this thread can be pinned so it stays at the top.  i personally would love it and find your knowledge very useful.

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

LennG

Charlie Weiss

LennG

How about some 'knotty problems ,a s we like to refer to them.

I got this out of my paper

What do you guys think the correct ruling is

Jack Cust is on first base for the Athletics with one out. Eric Chavez hits a drive to deep center field. Cust assumes that the ball will fall in and is halfway to third. But no! Vernon Wells makes a spectacular catch. Cust now tries to get back to first. But on his way back to first, he misses second. Wells spins and throws the ball back to the first, but his throw sails over the head of Curtis Thigpen and the ball rolls into the dugout. Cust gets back to first. But now Bob Geren is out claiming that Cust is entitled to third because of the bad throw. John Gibbons wants his team to appeal that Cust missed second.

What's the correct call.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on October 18, 2014, 11:19:17 AM
How about some 'knotty problems ,a s we like to refer to them.

I got this out of my paper

What do you guys think the correct ruling is

Jack Cust is on first base for the Athletics with one out. Eric Chavez hits a drive to deep center field. Cust assumes that the ball will fall in and is halfway to third. But no! Vernon Wells makes a spectacular catch. Cust now tries to get back to first. But on his way back to first, he misses second. Wells spins and throws the ball back to the first, but his throw sails over the head of Curtis Thigpen and the ball rolls into the dugout. Cust gets back to first. But now Bob Geren is out claiming that Cust is entitled to third because of the bad throw. John Gibbons wants his team to appeal that Cust missed second.

What's the correct call.

Since Cust missed 2nd base in getting back to first, he has to retrace and touch 2nd before touching first.  On appeal, Cust is ruled out, therefore nullifying the 2 bases he would have gotten on the overthrow if he had retraced correctly.  No shortcuts on the basepaths allowed in baseball, you gotta touch em all, both backwards and forwards.
Mike

LennG

Mike

Your answer is correct, but you missed what many people think takes precedence, that the throw went into dead territory, and the baserunner should be awarded 2 bases, since the ball in now dead.

Here is the ruling right from the rule book

Rule 7.10 (b):

With the ball in play, while advancing or returning to a base, he fails to touch each base in order before he, or a missed base, is tagged.
APPROVED RULING: (1) No runner may return to touch a missed base after a following runner has scored. (2) When the ball is dead, no runner may return to touch a missed base or one he has left after he has advanced to and touched a base beyond the missed base.

So before the next pitch, the Blue Jays pitcher throws an appeal to second base, steps on it, and Cust is declared out.

Normally, the runner could try and go back and touch the missed base but because the ball went dead, he is not allowed to. As soon as they put the ball in play, the appeal is made and the runner is called out. The overthrow on him means nothing.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on October 18, 2014, 08:28:34 PM
Mike

Your answer is correct, but you missed what many people think takes precedence, that the throw went into dead territory, and the baserunner should be awarded 2 bases, since the ball in now dead.

Here is the ruling right from the rule book

Rule 7.10 (b):

With the ball in play, while advancing or returning to a base, he fails to touch each base in order before he, or a missed base, is tagged.
APPROVED RULING: (1) No runner may return to touch a missed base after a following runner has scored. (2) When the ball is dead, no runner may return to touch a missed base or one he has left after he has advanced to and touched a base beyond the missed base.

So before the next pitch, the Blue Jays pitcher throws an appeal to second base, steps on it, and Cust is declared out.

Normally, the runner could try and go back and touch the missed base but because the ball went dead, he is not allowed to. As soon as they put the ball in play, the appeal is made and the runner is called out. The overthrow on him means nothing.

Totally understand Lenn.  My reasoning was that the first infraction has precedent regardless of what subsequently happened. 
If the overthrow lets say hits the wall behind first and caroms into short right field instead, Cust would have to go touch second and then go back to first before he could try advancing on the overthrow.  Is that correct ?

I love baseball rules, one of my favorites is the catcher committing a balk during an intentional walk.  Another reasons these heads of baseball are crazy when talking about the intentional walk becoming automatic ,  it doesn't happen often, but things do/can happen on an intentional walk.

Thanks for making your knowledge available.  i imagine if you do softball also that is quite a lot of different rules to remember.
Mike

LennG

Mike (or anyone else who wants to participate)

You seem pretty good at this. For several years here, I used to put up a baseball quiz, on the rules, before each baseball season started.

Here are a few of the questions, I'll continue with a few each week

1)  Man on 1st. Pitcher deliver's the pitch and the umpire calls a BALK on the pitch. The batter swings at the pitch and hit's a single with the runner from first going third.
What is the official call??

2)  Man on 2nd with 1 out. Batter hits an infield pop up. The shortstop, while going to try and catch the ball, runs into the base runner who is standing on 2nd base. The base runner didn't interfere with the fielder, but made no, effort to get out of the way. The ball dropped in the infield and everyone is safe.
What's the call.

3)Runner on 1st with 1 out. On a 3-2 pitch to the batter, the runner goes. Batter swings and misses and his momentum carries him over home plate and interferes with the catcher trying to throw the runner out.
What's the call??

4)  What's the call in these situations
  a-- Batted ball hit's 3rd base and caroms into the dugout.???
  b-  Batted ball hit's the pitchers rubber and caroms into the dugout???
  c-  Batted ball hits an umpire standing in the infield before passing a fielder, and caroms into the        dugout. ???

5)  Bases loaded, batter hits a soft line drive to the 2nd baseman who lets the ball hit his glove and drops it intentionally. He then proceeds to turn a double play.
Legal???????

Charlie Weiss

jimv

First of all, I agree with you on intentional walks, Obs.  As a matter of fact, in last week's playoffs, one of the pitches got by the catcher & a run scored from third base.

I'll take a crack at your questions, Lenny:

1.)  Once the balk is called, the ball is dead.  Runner on first advances to second.

2.)  Everyone's safe.

3.)  Batter is out on strike out.  Runner is returned to first because of batter's interference.  Two out, runner on first.

4. a.) Fair ball.  Ball dead. Batter takes first base.
    b.)
    c.)

5.)  First of all, what do you call "soft line drive?"   And, how many are out?  If there two out, the ball is in play regardless.  Less than two out, it depends on whether or not the ump calls the infield fly.  If he does, the batter is out & a base runner can only advance at his own peril.

LennG

Jim

I won't divulge the answers just yet, but you need to go back and reread your rule book. Quickly looking you got one correct, another partially and the rest, well, I'm glad you ain't my partner on game day.  =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on October 20, 2014, 06:53:35 PM
Mike (or anyone else who wants to participate)

You seem pretty good at this. For several years here, I used to put up a baseball quiz, on the rules, before each baseball season started.

Here are a few of the questions, I'll continue with a few each week

1)  Man on 1st. Pitcher deliver's the pitch and the umpire calls a BALK on the pitch. The batter swings at the pitch and hit's a single with the runner from first going third.
What is the official call??

2)  Man on 2nd with 1 out. Batter hits an infield pop up. The shortstop, while going to try and catch the ball, runs into the base runner who is standing on 2nd base. The base runner didn't interfere with the fielder, but made no, effort to get out of the way. The ball dropped in the infield and everyone is safe.
What's the call.

3)Runner on 1st with 1 out. On a 3-2 pitch to the batter, the runner goes. Batter swings and misses and his momentum carries him over home plate and interferes with the catcher trying to throw the runner out.
What's the call??

4)  What's the call in these situations
  a-- Batted ball hit's 3rd base and caroms into the dugout.???
  b-  Batted ball hit's the pitchers rubber and caroms into the dugout???
  c-  Batted ball hits an umpire standing in the infield before passing a fielder, and caroms into the        dugout. ???

5)  Bases loaded, batter hits a soft line drive to the 2nd baseman who lets the ball hit his glove and drops it intentionally. He then proceeds to turn a double play.
Legal???????

Okay, let me have a crack. 

1.  Once a balk is called anything after the call does not occur.  Normally ther umpire will jump out from behind home plate to make the call, thus play is stopped automatically.  Runner advances to 2nd on balk.

2.  A runner HAS to make every effort to not interfere physically with a fielder.  In short he has to make every effort.  In this instance both runner on 2nd and batter on who hit the pop up are out...double play the nonconventional way.  Not making an effort the umpire could rule "intentional" interference, which is what I am basing my answer on.  If unintentional, everyone is safe.

3.  Batter is of course out...runner is returned to first base because of the interference.

4.  All 3 are part of the field of play, thus a single is awarded in each instance.

5.  Batter out, runners advance at their own risk....not so basic "infield fly rule", but still the same principle.  This one I am not sure of.  my answer is based on the "intentional".  Tells me the umpire has ruled the catchability of the ball is very routine and thus would immediate call out "infield fly rule".

Mike