News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daily News article about the Sneakers Game

Started by uconnjack8, December 09, 2014, 01:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

Great story, uconn.  we also had a "Sneaker Championship Game" in 1956.

Giant Obsession

Excellent contribution uconnjack, Thank you.

I always wondered with that known history why in the great Ice Bowl of 1967 neither Dallas or Green Bay chose the sneaker route.  I understand that no one expected the frozen field due to Lombardi having electric coils under the turf, but still you would think at least the home team would have had sneakers readily available and at least tried them.

A little history warning (estimated cost $800) and Dallas may very well have derailed the Lombardi leagacy.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

jimv

But, Lombardi already knew about the '56 sneaker game; he was the Giants' OC at the time.  Perhaps the warmer ground for the game in GB made the game OK for cleats.

Giant Obsession

Quote from: jimv on December 10, 2014, 10:35:04 PM
But, Lombardi already knew about the '56 sneaker game; he was the Giants' OC at the time.  Perhaps the warmer ground for the game in GB made the game OK for cleats.

I had forgotten that, yes he was.

Actually jim, the story is theground was warmed by the coils and under a tarp the night before.

the next morning, gameday, they took the tarp off and the coils had quit working....BUT the field was warm and fine.  But when -15 degrees met the uncovered field icing began and grew worse .  By game time it was bad...and steadily grew even worse.

You reminding me about Lombardi being the OC in 1956 is another reason he should have been prepared for the happenings of a frozen field.  But then if he had, we wouldn't have such an epic game with ultra dramatic circumstances.  In fact, jerry Kramer might just be another great guard in NFL lore and not a household name.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon