News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

GREAT SITE FOR OLD BALL PARKS

Started by Webster29, February 20, 2015, 04:08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

If any of you are like me you will enjoy this.   I just love old baseball parks.   To me it is Americana at it's best.  Anyway I was looking for some pictures of Dunn Park in Elmira to post for dasher in the Jamestown Jammers thread and I found this site.   I thought it needed a thread all it's own.   

http://www.digitalballparks.com/Index2.html

LennG

Great site Bill. although I'm not really interested in the minor league parks, just looking back at the original 16 major league teams and where they played was great. Too bad they didn't have a pix of Forbes Field. I used to love those old ball parks. Each had it's own personality and each really gave the home team a definite advantage. Now they are back to building ball parks with some personality, but still, the fields themselves are still all the same. No more hills in the outfield (Crosley Field), no more chip shot HR's (Yankee Stadium) no more massive center fields (Polo Grounds). really, only Fenway is there last of unusual dimensions and a real home team advantage.

One of the things that bothered me, when the made the movie '42' was their inability to even get the Parks correct. yes they had their names in the movie, but Crosely Field was NOT Crosley Field, same for the Polo Grounds, and Forbes Field. A big time movie like that should have gotten some consultation who would get this right.

Anyway, thanks for the walk down memory lane.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss