News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2015 - Guards

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 11, 2015, 11:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiller99

Might see an unbalanced line towards Beatty to help with the outside run game.More and more teams are doing it,also change splits from guard to tackle slightly.

vette5573

The left side run blocking wasn't an issue LY as Beatty did fine with the smaller DE's and was the best run blocker on the team. I think we will see Richburg pulling from the Center position to either side at some point. I'd like to see better synchronicity in Strong Side alignment to the Run/Pass play side. Did anyone else think Eli rolled right more often last season?

chiller99

When you are 29th in running no one is doing a good job .McAdoo has already made subtle changes last season to help Beatty in the run game .

Hadron

Probably rolled to the right because of his throwing arm and lack of overall athleticism. Generally rolling away from the better pass rusher which limited the damage that the left side of the could inflict on the offense.

vette5573

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/nyg/type/rushing/new-york-giants

Sean, take a look at "By Play Direction". You will see that the left side averaged 4.6 ypc. Then look at the right side and it's 3.1 average with only 15 FD's. It's not great but the left side was pretty good in comparison. The problem imo was balance and if you go back to the 2007 season you will see both sides were equally effective. I know you have an astute mind so consider tendencies and the effect it had on defensive alignments in running situations.

vette5573

Quote from: Hadron on April 20, 2015, 01:28:23 PM
Probably rolled to the right because of his throwing arm and lack of overall athleticism. Generally rolling away from the better pass rusher which limited the damage that the left side of the could inflict on the offense.

I meant designed plays as a rollout. You are correct though from this perspective.

chiller99

My reasoning for the remarks are based on circumstances as well as result Ed. We all know Jerry is a horrific run blocker and signed as a backup and for this season we hope that's what he would play. McAdoo changed roles to aid Beatty on run plays as he struggles to get to second level.You are right on your facts about last season ,my assumptions how ever far fetched is Jerry wont be on the right side.

vette5573

Quote from: chiller99 on April 21, 2015, 10:23:56 AM
My reasoning for the remarks are based on circumstances as well as result Ed. We all know Jerry is a horrific run blocker and signed as a backup and for this season we hope that's what he would play. McAdoo changed roles to aid Beatty on run plays as he struggles to get to second level.You are right on your facts about last season ,my assumptions how ever far fetched is Jerry wont be on the right side.

I agree on Jerry. I have wondered though if coming off that injury had any effect on his ability to play the position as he had 3 good games at the end of the season. Then I checked and found out that he never was a good run blocker, ever. I really believe that this line is one player from being a solid line. If I'm wrong about Schwartz then it's 2 players off. They need a starter from this draft and there is no question about it as far as I'm concerned.