News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2015 - Defensive Tackles

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 12, 2015, 07:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
While there is some top-end talent available the best players this year three of the top four likely to be drafted fit better in 3-4 schemes or a the 1-technique position than at the 3-technique where the Giants needs lie. That said, there is some solid depth available into the third day of the draft with two players ranked in my top 15, two more in my top 40, two more in my top 50, another in my top 64 and two more in my top 100.

What do I think the Giants should do?
The Giants succession planning has been spot on in at the position for more than 15 years with numerous 2nd and 3rd round draft picks invested at the position and the last ounce of flesh squeezed out of a number of veterans at the journeyman point in their careers. It looks like the Giants are finally deciding to get younger. Jonathan Hankins mans the 1-tech spot at RDT and is a young superstar in the making. Veteran 3-tech Cullen Jenkins suffered from injuries and declining play. If he makes the team his biggest value will be as a mentor to the younger players. Fellow veteran Mike Patterson was supposed to provide depth but ended up starting and was overmatched. He won

Bob In PA

I haven't mentioned Bennett in a while, but for months I've been hoping he would become temporarily invisible and fall to pick 40 where he could be reunited with his college D-line mate Jonathan Hankins.

This man has NY GIANTS written all over him, in so many ways.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 12, 2015, 09:19:36 AM
I haven't mentioned Bennett in a while, but for months I've been hoping he would become temporarily invisible and fall to pick 40 where he could be reunited with his college D-line mate Jonathan Hankins.

This man has NY GIANTS written all over him, in so many ways.

Bob

You're not the only one thinking that way. Brian (BigHitta) wants him bad for the same reason.

Philosophers

I guess my feeling is that if teams are now playing nickel and dime defenses as base units given the much higher level of passing, then isn't it more important now to have a 3 Tech to be a pass rusher to help take away a QB stepping into this throws?  For that reason, I love Michael Bennett as he has been extremely productive as a 3 Tech. 

Hadron

I've been a fan of Malcolm Brown for a while now but I'm finding myself in a similar quandary: will he get the requisite snaps to warrant the #9 overall pick? This raises another issue as I seem to remember some DTs having an issue with transitioning to the NFL.

While Hankins is the big man in the middle, what do the Giants have at the other DT slot? Jenkins is an older vet that needs his snaps limited to ensure health. Bromley didn't inspire much confidence last year and  failed to overtake/outperform an awful Kuhn, Kuhn shouldn't see meaningful snaps and...Patterson (if he's even on the roster still). 

Regardless, I expect the Giants to grab a DT sometime in the first 3-4 rounds.  Probably in round 2-4 given Reese's prior history when it comes to drafting DT. While important, I don't think he views it at a true "premium" pick.

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Philosophers on April 12, 2015, 01:17:50 PM
I guess my feeling is that if teams are now playing nickel and dime defenses as base units given the much higher level of passing, then isn't it more important now to have a 3 Tech to be a pass rusher to help take away a QB stepping into this throws?  For that reason, I love Michael Bennett as he has been extremely productive as a 3 Tech.

If we could stop the run I'd agree with you. But how much was it Fewell's scheme and how much was it inept run defense from the players still here?

Philosophers

Your point is well taken Ceri.  We have to stop the run first and take that element away from an offense.  Can Bennett become a better run stopping DT?  I think he certainly has the aggressiveness to do it as he is a 100% motor guy.  What would be the reason to think he can't?

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Philosophers on April 12, 2015, 08:43:21 PM
Your point is well taken Ceri.  We have to stop the run first and take that element away from an offense.  Can Bennett become a better run stopping DT?  I think he certainly has the aggressiveness to do it as he is a 100% motor guy.  What would be the reason to think he can't?

Size. He played closer to 280lb's in college and I look at the OL in Dallas and wonder how he will fare against them considering he didn't fare that well against college competition

Philosophers

Guys just seem to grown in the NFL.  Can he gain 15 pounds without losing speed?  Isn't Aaron Donald playing the 3 Tech at something like 290?

Bob In PA

The more time I read Ceri's presentation above, the more broadly I smile.  This is a very good collection of players. 

Usually I can find a guy I don't like, but there aren't any. 

No way the Giants fail to come away from the draft without one of them.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Philosophers on April 13, 2015, 09:21:31 AM
Guys just seem to grown in the NFL.  Can he gain 15 pounds without losing speed?  Isn't Aaron Donald playing the 3 Tech at something like 290?

Indeed Donald is but then he was a lot better as a run defender in college than Bennett has been. Bennett will undoubtedly gain weight but whether it helps is another matter.

Philosophers

Jaime

What happened to dah much ballyhooed Arik Armstead? :-??

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jaime on April 15, 2015, 09:03:05 PM

Maybe he was off shooting hoops   :D
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Jaime on April 15, 2015, 09:03:05 PM

You'll have to wait until I do the DE's. Won't be long to wait.   :D