News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2015 - DE/OLB (Edge Rushers)

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 17, 2015, 03:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
There are a number of edge rushers in this draft who will be taken high in the draft, the majority of which will be selected by teams playing the 3-4 defense but some who could be considered

Osi72

Thanks for the write up, bunch of 3-4 pass rushers and some guys who haven't done anything but look nice on paper (Hunter).

Seems like the best option is to not take anyone or just not invest a high pick in any of these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vstaj(grizz)

superb...don't know how you do it.

Boy, I saw early drafts with Gregory going right after Williams.  I wouldn't invest a no. 2 in the guy after the drug bust and after reading your critique. 

MightyGiants

Good work Ceri!   :ok:  None of these guys really excite me as a pick at 9.  If one were to slip to the second round of the questionable fit list, they might be worth a pick.   The small school prospects are intriguing and one of them would be a nice day 3 pick.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Osi72

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 17, 2015, 03:50:53 PM
Good work Ceri!   :ok:  None of these guys really excite me as a pick at 9.  If one were to slip to the second round of the questionable fit list, they might be worth a pick.   The small school prospects are intriguing and one of them would be a nice day 3 pick.

Yea picking any of these guys at 9 is throwing away a pick on a rotational guy with issues.

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Osi72 on April 17, 2015, 04:35:06 PM

Yea picking any of these guys at 9 is throwing away a pick on a rotational guy with issues.

Think you missed the point completely  :P

I'd happily take Beasley or Ray at #9.

Jaime

Osi72

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 17, 2015, 05:03:57 PM

You said that he lacks strength and ability to disengage in the run game and lacks consistency as a pass rusher.

Why would you take that with the 9th pick?

For Beasley u said he goes through periods where he's non existent on the field, not effective against the run, takes bad angles and he's not a great tackler.

I don't think I missed anything,lol, neither of these guys seems like a pick at 9.

You're basically saying that these guys aren't capable of being a 3 down lineman in a 4-3 system. I don't think it's wise to take a player like that at 9, doesn't make any sense.

Grab a rotational guy in the middle rounds. It's not like these guys aren't filled with holes as is, why at 9?

UKGiantsFan

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Osi72 on April 17, 2015, 05:56:11 PM

You said that he lacks strength and ability to disengage in the run game and lacks consistency as a pass rusher.

For Beasley u said he goes through periods where he's non existent on the field, not effective against the run, takes bad angles and he's not a great tackler.

I don't think I missed anything,lol, neither of these guys seems like a pick at 9.

You're basically saying that these guys aren't capable of being a 3 down lineman in a 4-3 system. I don't think it's wise to take a player like that at 9, doesn't make any sense.

Grab a rotational guy in the middle rounds. It's not like these guys aren't filled with holes as is, why at 9?

Look under 'the talent available'. It says it all.

It's not about just this year, it's about years to come. Plenty of 'finished products' will start year one and never get any better. The guys I like I'd bet on being impactive for years. The Giants don't draft 'finished products'!

vstaj(grizz)

I'm assuming that you don't think Beasley or Fowler will be there.   

Who do you think will be there and who do you think we'll take.

Osi72

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 17, 2015, 07:12:37 PM
Quote from: Osi72 on April 17, 2015, 05:56:11 PM

Look under 'the talent available'. It says it all.

It's not about just this year, it's about years to come. Plenty of 'finished products' will start year one and never get any better. The guys I like I'd bet on being impactive for years. The Giants don't draft 'finished products'!

I'm sorry but I'm just not drafting some rotational guy in the first who years down the road may pay off, when I can get legitimate day one starters on the offensive line. Or even a guy who may not get to start, but is a good system fit in Shelton.

I'm not throwing away a first on a project player when I can throw away a third. That's just my two cents when it comes to this years draft. Drafting a 3-4 pass rusher who will get little snaps because of the amount of competition at the position on our roster, and knowing full well that they aren't 3 down starters, possibly even in the long term, is a waste, when I can grab a project guy in the middle rounds and get a full time starter in the first.

We're getting back some money in the pot next year when JPP's franchise comes off the books, maybe he walks and we get to spend that 15m on two quality ends or something and then use a pick on another one in the draft.

But I'm not throwing away a first at these guys. If we ran a 3-4? Sure. But even then you have a hard time convincing me to pick Ray in the first. But I'd take Beasley in a heart beat. Gregory? I'm staying far away after what I heard about him on the Giants big blue kickoff podcast this week.

This just isn't the year to go DE in round 1. I'd rather take a chance and waste a middle rounder than throw a first in the garbage when I could have a full time starter. 

Gabriel

If we are drafting a player to just be on the field on passings downs, I would rather take Michael Bennett or Xavier Cooper. We would have pressure coming from the interior of the DL and those guys have the potential do became 3 downs DTs in the future. I think no one of those guys that could fall to us would contribute more than Damonster this year,  and if we are taking a project, I would rather drafting one of those kids from small schools in the 4th or 5th rounds.

Osi72

Quote from: Gabriel on April 18, 2015, 04:37:54 PM
If we are drafting a player to just be on the field on passings downs, I would rather take Michael Bennett or Xavier Cooper. We would have pressure coming from the interior of the DL and those guys have the potential do became 3 downs DTs in the future. I think no one of those guys that could fall to us would contribute more than Damonster this year,  and if we are taking a project, I would rather drafting one of those kids from small schools in the 4th or 5th rounds.

That's what I'm thinking, a first round 3-4 pass rusher is likely to produce akin to Moore who is essentially of the same mold, at best in their first year.

They likely get the same playing time too.

Long term, next year you have 2 undersized pass rushers at DE, maybe neither of which is a true 3 down guy.

I'm not a big fan of Bennett, but I'm more comfortable with his fit than one of these ends.

Now, if I can get Ray in the second? That's a lot more palatable, can put him inside on 3rd down with Moore and JPP on the outside. I'm more okay with that because he's not the 9th pick.

Bob In PA

That's right, Osi, Bennett IMO fits perfectly with the Giants, both on and off the field.  If the other teams feel as you do he will still be there at pick 40.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!