News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Draft Preview 2015 - Safeties

Started by UKGiantsFan, April 22, 2015, 02:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKGiantsFan

The talent available
This year there isn

joeyfootball

if rowe is on the board when the giants pick take him. in round 2.

MightyGiants

I was taught safeties should be between 5' 11"- 6' 2" and 195 - 220 and run at least a 4.55
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Osi72

I want Randall or Prewitt, if I could have them born I'd take them, run some 3 safety sets.

I agree that Randall needs to pack on some pounds, I don't like him in man coverage but I think he has the range to be a really nice FS and I think he'll be a playmaker.

Prewitt can driver some hits, sound tackler, capable of being a box safety, although it nah not be his best position.

If I could have these guys in the 3rd and 4th I'd be very pleased.

This row guys seems interesting on paper but I haven't seen his tape. But it's hard to not consider going after a tall safety with speed to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philosophers

Ceri - Do you have any thoughts about Byron Jones out of Connecticut as a free safety as he played safety at UCONN his first two years there before converting to safety?  He's 6'1" 199 pounds, runs a sub 4.4x 40 and broke the world record for the broad jump?

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Philosophers on April 22, 2015, 06:04:28 PM
Ceri - Do you have any thoughts about Byron Jones out of Connecticut as a free safety as he played safety at UCONN his first two years there before converting to safety?  He's 6'1" 199 pounds, runs a sub 4.4x 40 and broke the world record for the broad jump?

Thinking he's a CB. Not done much work on those and not seen him during the season. Preview on CB's won't be before Sunday

MightyGiants

Greg Cossell was raving about Damarious Randall this morning.   He also did not like Landon Collins one bit.  Said he was too heavy and heavy footed.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2015, 07:28:34 AM
Greg Cossell was raving about Damarious Randall this morning.   He also did not like Landon Collins one bit.  Said he was too heavy and heavy footed.

Check out the video's at Draft Breakdown and see what conclusions you draw.

I had a couple of ASU games taped DB don't have up but if you want to see why I have tempered my enthusiasm on Randall take a look at the Oregon State game on there. Some of his run fits in that game are horrendous!

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 23, 2015, 07:44:06 AM
Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2015, 07:28:34 AM

Check out the video's at Draft Breakdown and see what conclusions you draw.

I had a couple of ASU games taped DB don't have up but if you want to see why I have tempered my enthusiasm on Randall take a look at the Oregon State game on there. Some of his run fits in that game are horrendous!

I will do that when I get a chance Ceri.   One thing I was reminded of in Greg's class.  He said if he had to choose (a safety prospect) between one that couldn't tackle and one that couldn't cover he would go for the one that couldn't tackle.   Greg figures players can always learn how to tackle but they can't always learn how to cover.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Another interesting thing about safety prospects.   One thing Greg Cossell mentioned this morning is that some teams prefer interchangeable safeties (as it makes it harder to guess a defense) and some prefer the traditional free safety and strong safety.   My memory is a little bit fuzzy on this issue, but I sort of recall Spags using the left and right safety approach last time he was here.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2015, 11:13:26 AM
Another interesting thing about safety prospects.   One thing Greg Cossell mentioned this morning is that some teams prefer interchangeable safeties (as it makes it harder to guess a defense) and some prefer the traditional free safety and strong safety.   My memory is a little bit fuzzy on this issue, but I sort of recall Spags using the left and right safety approach last time he was here.

Wilson was a shorter/lighter FS, Butler a prototypical Giants SS but both had fairly interchangeable skills. Johnson was the prototypical sized rookie used more like an extra 'backer in the nickel.

vette5573

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on April 23, 2015, 11:42:18 AM
Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2015, 11:13:26 AM

Wilson was a shorter/lighter FS, Butler a prototypical Giants SS but both had fairly interchangeable skills. Johnson was the prototypical sized rookie used more like an extra 'backer in the nickel.

He did use the term Safety, not SS or FS. I also recall the Giants playing a lot of Cover 2 under Coach Spagnuolo or at least the initial reads were that.

bamagiantfan

Ceri, more than any other position, this analysis just screams of guys who "might turn out OK." Prewitt is the only difference maker for me in the group. He is terrific between the hash marks, but does he have the speed (no) or smarts and reaction time (maybe) to cover sideline to sideline in the NFL? We will see. He is the only FS in the lot that I want, but I could see a second one being taken in the later rounds or as an undrafted free agent, because depth at that spot on the Giants roster is zilch right now.

With this group being so weak, I could see the Giants drafting no one and taking their chances with 2 or 3 UDFAs, and re-signing Brown on the cheap after the draft, when he will be desperate for a spot with a team. He would be insurance, if they cannot get or develop the guys they have targeted.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Painter

Another amazing presentation, Ceri.  Aside from questions about talent at the position, there will be a big experience deficit. Spags will have to find one of them to replace Rolle in making the defensive coverage adjustments.

As for coverage behind what likely will be a frequently rotated Dline with some iterations of the so called, Four Aces package, you might recall Tom Coughlin's comment about Spags's experience with the fire zone blitz when he hired him in '07. With his rehire this time, he mentioned that Spags has since learned a lot about defending the spread offense. That may well suggest that we will see a lot of Cover3 Fire Zone. That will involve 5 DBs, 2 of whom play the seams, two play a tight 3rd, one the middle 3rd. How we label some of those guys: CB, Nickel DB, SS, WS, FS may be less important than is their learning and executing those positions well. We may know who before we know what and whether.     

Cheers!   

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Painter on April 26, 2015, 11:50:51 AM
Another amazing presentation, Ceri.  Aside from questions about talent at the position, there will be a big experience deficit. Spags will have to find one of them to replace Rolle in making the defensive coverage adjustments.

As for coverage behind what likely will be a frequently rotated Dline with some iterations of the so called, Four Aces package, you might recall Tom Coughlin's comment about Spags's experience with the fire zone blitz when he hired him in '07. With his rehire this time, he mentioned that Spags has since learned a lot about defending the spread offense. That may well suggest that we will see a lot of Cover3 Fire Zone. That will involve 5 DBs, 2 of whom play the seams, two play a tight 3rd, one the middle 3rd. How we label some of those guys: CB, Nickel DB, SS, WS, FS may be less important than is their learning and executing those positions well. We may know who before we know what and whether.     

Cheers!

I think it will be a fascinating season to watch as it unfolds. I consider myself a 'veteran' but every year I learn more. Maybe this is why football  intrigues and excites me so much?