News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

BBH Defensive Previews by UKGiantsFan

Started by vette5573, April 27, 2015, 07:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vette5573

Defensive Tackles

The talent available
While there is some top-end talent available the best players this year three of the top four likely to be drafted fit better in 3-4 schemes or a the 1-technique position than at the 3-technique where the Giants needs lie. That said, there is some solid depth available into the third day of the draft with two players ranked in my top 15, two more in my top 40, two more in my top 50, another in my top 64 and two more in my top 100.

What do I think the Giants should do?
The Giants succession planning has been spot on in at the position for more than 15 years with numerous 2nd and 3rd round draft picks invested at the position and the last ounce of flesh squeezed out of a number of veterans at the journeyman point in their careers. It looks like the Giants are finally deciding to get younger. Jonathan Hankins mans the 1-tech spot at RDT and is a young superstar in the making. Veteran 3-tech Cullen Jenkins suffered from injuries and declining play. If he makes the team his biggest value will be as a mentor to the younger players. Fellow veteran Mike Patterson was supposed to provide depth but ended up starting and was overmatched. He won

vette5573

Defensive Ends 4-3 and 3-4

The talent available
The Giants have a clear prototype for DE but few top prospects fit their mold this year and they are second tier types with good all-around games rather than the type who can consistently terrorize passers off the edge. That said, a couple of them can rush the passer equally as well from the inside so might appeal in Spagnuolo's defense.

What do I think the Giants should do?
Jason Pierre-Paul returns under the

vette5573

DE/OLB (Edge Rushers)

The talent available
There are a number of edge rushers in this draft who will be taken high in the draft, the majority of which will be selected by teams playing the 3-4 defense but some who could be considered

vette5573

Safeties

The talent available
This year there isn

vette5573

Cornerbacks

The talent available
There are a lot of guys with talent but every single one of them has pronounced faults in their game and none likely to be drafted in the top half of the 1st round. That said, three look likely to be taken in the back end of the 1st round and teams will undoubtedly look to load up on CB

vette5573

True Linebackers

Overview
There are some good players available for ILB, MLB or WLB including three I expect to be off the board early on the second day of the draft (and one may get picked at the back end of the 1st round). The Giants have brought in FA