News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

1990 NFC Championship Game Inspiration

Started by MP21WAYS2PAY, January 23, 2008, 01:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MP21WAYS2PAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_js-SySw3AY

Check out this clip of the 1990 NFC Championship Game for inspiration. 

The Niners were on their way to the three-peat, and deemed to be unstoppable.

Anything can happen in football.

Rocky56

"He hit Joe and we thought he killed him"

I've watched that game a dozen times and never noticed how Leonard was blocked and literally crawled on his hands and knees before delivering that shot.

WOW, Just WOW.
You do or you do not! There is no try.

kartanoman

The bottom line from Pat Summerall's commentary at the end of that game ...

"THERE ... WILL ... BEEEEE ... NOOOO ... THREEEEEPEAT!!!!!"

By far, the greatest commentary even spoken over the course of Giants' televised broadcast that perfectly sums up, in my opinion, what was the greatest game in Giants' history.  I rank this one greater than either Super Bowl victory because the end result forced the 49ers to swallow the biggest slice of humble pie ever dished up. That arrogant bunch by the Bay had their equipment shipped out to Tampa even before this game was played and the talk of three-peat was spoken in the context of a foregone conclusion. Joe Montana may have received even more "love press" from the mass media than Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Tony Romo combined! The manner in which the Giants conducted themselves in this game was the very definition of inspiration. Against all odds, the entire team, from the head coach all the way to the placekicker, used their grit and determination to find ways to stay in the contest until the opportunity presented itself to go for the game winner ... which they did in as dramatic fashion as I've ever witnessed.

For those of you who have never seen this game, do yourself a favor and find yourselves a copy of this game and watch; you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about.

To this day, watching Bahr's kick float through the uprights, followed by Summerall's legendary commentary, emotionally drives me to tears as a team nobody gave a chance to win ended up dethroning what was, at that time, the greatest team in the history of the NFL. Yet, they found a way and their accomplishment completely turned the entire NFL upside down. The game, for all practical purposes, ended the career of Joe Montana in San Francisco as well as knocked the 49ers off the pedestal of invincibility from which they would never recover. Their arrogance and cockiness were humbled and this Giant fan took great pleasure in seeing their empire crumble as the Giants went on to win the Super Bowl in another dramatic game.

The 2007 Giants can look to their predecessors from 1990 to reinforce their belief that they can do the same to the Pats in a week and a half.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

drakew

WOW, Kman ole buddy ole pal, you can surely say that again. Marshall knocked the bejeebees out of Montana, now, he is nothing but a grill cook at a greaqsy spoon. I also did not realize Marshall was DOWN, and recovered to make the hit. Isn't Matt Bahr still in the League? The Ravens?
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

Rambo89

Beating the two time defending champs on their homefield with a back-up QB............................it's hard to ever top that.  IMO that game was maybe even more difficult to win than the Super Bowl especially when you consider the 49'ers had beat the Giants in the regular season in 1988, 1989 and 1990 (The 7-3 game).  As a Giant Fan that was my favorite win.  The only thing that could top that win is the Giants winning a week from Sunday in Glendale.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Even this long after, I still get goose pimples watching that game and hearing Summeral's call. Without a doubt, the greatest Giants game ever played.

Gives you something to shoot at Eli.

:goteam: :goteam: :goteam: :Giants: :Giants: :Giants: :goteam: :goteam: :goteam:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

beaugestus

I have forgotten, if Hostetler couldn't come back into the game who was the backup?

Rambo89

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18