Author Topic: Let's talk Walking Dead  (Read 14841 times)

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 493
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk Walking Dead
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »
Because of Sunday's game, I just finished watching the premier of our favorite show. As Rich said, what a difference between a real action/adventure series, great writing, great acting and great story instead of that mess we watching over this summer. The long wait paid off handsomely.

I had read before about the Black and white flashbacks and the color of real time. They just didn't explain why it was done and the story line behind it. I was also thinking the exact same thing about the noise to lure the walkers along the path, why not have the lead car make as much noise as possible to keep them in line.

I guess this was mostly a Rick episode, with most of the others, except Morgan, sort of taking a back seat, but they all played pivotal roles. We know from experience that all plans never go according to what they are suppose to, so now the Walkers are off the path, and from the previews, seem to have gotten to Alexandria.

Just a great start to what has become a truly great series. As they said on the Talking Dead,  afterwards, the bar has been set so high that it makes the people in charge, have to do so much more to keep improving it. And if I may say so, they just keep succeeding at it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

tucker115

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 209
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »
Four things that bothered me a bit about the premiere - 1) The lead car had it's emergency blinkers on. I thought that was hysterical. Did the walkers really need to know the lead car was "proceeding with caution"?  2) Thousands upon thousands of walkers trapped in mining pit. Alexandria has construction materials and vehicles. Why not build a retaining wall at the choke points and give yourself more time to plan a less risky solution? The ridge where the truck may fall in "any day"? Blow it up. Seemed like Rick's plan was needlessly risky under the circumstances 3) Rick states "I don't take chances anymore". We see Rick aware of the mini-mutiny being planned. Rick pointed out that he would have used a lookout. "Do you really think you could take this place from me?!?" Okay. Rick's got it nailed down. He doesn't take chances. He "owns" Alexandria. He knows there is dissent. So, how come the guy who has it nailed down, would post a lookout, and knows there is dissent, didn't assign people he could trust (Carol?) to make damn sure no one inside Alexandria tried to sabotage the plan? They show Rick seemingly knowing everything that is going on in Alexandria and then portray him as a man who left Alexandria unguarded & unprotected during such a dangerous operation. 4) Alexandria has electricity from solar. Solar is great, but Virginia DOES have cloudy days and the winter can be a bit grey. So, one would have to make sure that only essential items were attached to the grid since there is no outside source of energy to supplement the solar for days when the sun is limited. Who decided it was good ideal to feed power to a horn that, under the circumstances (walkers attracted to noise), Alexandria should never, ever use? Seems like a place that had so many "smart people" build it, would have figured out that the horn needed to become scrap metal pretty early on in the apocalypse.

Despite what I felt was a sloppy script, man, was it great to watch the "real" show again and be able to put "Fear" behind me!!!  :ok:

weeze

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »
its science fiction, but just to be prepared , I loaded all 5 of my AK magazines, bought a spiked collar for the dawg, made a couple of Clorox bombs, a few molotov xxxxtails and a DRAKE bomb. that's a secret formula for those. so I say bring em on!
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

McGIANTS

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »
First of all, I didn't realize until tonight that we had a Walking Dead thread on here. So, cool! Secondly, I agree with Tucker about last week's episode and the plan to lead a huge hoard of walkers 20 miles away using only a car and a motorcycle - going really slow and making very little noise - was a flawed plan. The preview for next week showed how that plan backfired 10 fold.

Tonight we found out where the horn was coming from. It's been stated since Rick and his group came to Alexandria that the people in that town are incapable of defending themselves. Tonight got that point across very clearly. I kind of have a problem with how most citizens of Alexandria lack confidence in themselves. The woman who was the new doctor, for instance. You're the only doctor the town has, yet she doubts herself. That's pretty weak. I don't know all the new characters, but the guy sniping apparently hasn't shot a sniper rifle before. He hesitated too much.

I disagreed with Morgan that they didn't have to kill the Wolves who invaded Alexandria. They were killing unarmed civilians, you're darn right they needed to be killed. Enid had a point with Alexandria being too big to protect because of all the blind spots, but wandering out on her own isn't exactly safe either. Lots of contradiction there. Carol showed once again that she know how to handle herself in a dire situation. I think she's become one of the stronger characters on the show.
"On third down you have just one job. That's to know where the marker is and to get past it. There's no excuse to run a route that doesn't take you beyond it." -John Madden

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 10:13:33 AM »
Just finished watching this weeks episode and, starting out very slow, it sure picked up the intensity and was probably one of the stronger episodes we ahve seen in a long time. Not long on acting, but if action is what you crave (all of us 'Fear' watchers) this one was great.

As I said in the beginning of this entire thread, I still think 'IF NECESSARY, Carol could be the leader of this group. So if they ever wanted to kill Rick off, she would take over and never miss a beat. She has become as ruthless as Rick and never hesitates to kill anymore.  (I just love the way she talks to that poor little boy).

I guess the big debate is, is Carol/Ricks approach to the world, the right one, or is Morgan's approach best? really two schools of thought, bu t I believe Morgan will come around to Killing, though he will never like it.

So now we have a full episode of 'the Wolves' and what they can do. WOW. I wonder if this was planned to take place when most of our commando's are off on a cattle drive of walkers, or it was just a coincidence. They never mention it. I believe these Wolves have a leader, maybe similar to the governor, and he did see the opportunity to either invade or capture Alexandria while our band of people are out saving the world from walkers.

Lot's of questions, like most episodes and we are hungering for more.

Just loved the way they dressed Carol as a sort of Ninja.

Oh and welcome McGiants to our thread. We have been dissecting the Walking Dead for a few years now. There are more things to talk about than JUST the giants.  :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Right about the horn thing. I love how they just tie things together in the oddest ways, but it all does add up in the end.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

McGIANTS

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »
It was revealed that the Wolves had pictures of Alexandria and their "security" so we know they've been watching from afar - or not so afar. They must have known that Rick and Daryl are their stronger members and weren't around so it was the right time to strike. The clothes Carol was wearing she got from one of the Wolves she killed. She just knows how to blend in and use it to her advantage. That makes her more dangerous to whatever enemies she must face.

One question that was left unanswered was - the trailer of the truck. What anything in it? Last year I had a theory that the Wolves would bring in a truck full of walkers and let them loose on the Alexandrians. They never revealed if the trailer was empty or not. Also, we learned just how vulnerable the citizens of Alexandria really are - and how unprepared they are as well. It is unusual that the Wolves don't have guns, but maybe they don't because they planned a sneak attack and guns would've given them away quicker.
"On third down you have just one job. That's to know where the marker is and to get past it. There's no excuse to run a route that doesn't take you beyond it." -John Madden

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 06:47:21 PM »
I understand where Carol got the 'costume' from, what I meant was just the irony of sort of dressing her up like a ninja warrior because she sure is all of that--fearless.

Charlie Weiss

McGIANTS

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 07:05:40 PM »
I see what you're saying and Carol is definitely fearless.

One thing I've been thinking about and I hope the show brings it up at some point is what happened to Morgan during his quest to catch up with Rick. As it is, we don't know. Who did he encounter? How did he survive? Who did he meet along the way? And last, but not least - what made him change his mind about killing others in order to survive? The Wolves were killing unarmed innocent civilians and Morgan didn't feel it was necessary to kill them to protect the rest of Alexandria. He let several of them go and told them (the Wolves) that the people in Alexandria have guns while they (the Wolves) do not. That could be dangerous if the Wolves decide to arm themselves with guns and other more advanced weapons. Is there a tie-in between Morgan and the Wolves? It kind of looks like it from a certain perspective, but at this time it's unknown.

weeze

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 07:23:16 PM »
I can clear one of these observations up. the bag with the photos was "lost" when Daryl and whats his face got caught up at the food distributers where the wolves were loading up the trucks if you remember.
 I think we will find out where Morgan was, prolly a "flashback" episode, as someone had to teach him how to use the staff the way he does.,
 The lack of guns by the wolves I would think would be the the idea of a stealth attack on civilians. Didn't work as they xxxxed with the wrong group. Especially my hero Carol who has no problem disposing of people she deems a threat. Wow what a great little homemaker isn't she?

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1077
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 08:10:40 PM »
Another terrific episode.  It was so great to see Carol kicking ass.   It's interesting to see how different Carol and Morgan approach things.   I think the group or Alexandria may regret Morgan's decision to let the wolves escape with a gun. 

JSS! 
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 136
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 01:05:40 AM »
Just got done watching this week's episode. I needed something light to watch after the embarrassing loss to the Eagles.

I agree Weeze re: the pictures. The guy's name is Aaron, and he left his bag in the car. When the wolves came back and rounded up all the walkers they found it. It's how the wolves discovered Alexandria.

I'll have to go back and rewatch this part but when Carol kills the woman on the steps I noticed flowers off to the side. Was the woman facing them when Carol plunged the knife into her?   

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 07:09:09 AM »
Just got done watching this week's episode. I needed something light to watch after the embarrassing loss to the Eagles.

I agree Weeze re: the pictures. The guy's name is Aaron, and he left his bag in the car. When the wolves came back and rounded up all the walkers they found it. It's how the wolves discovered Alexandria.

I'll have to go back and rewatch this part but when Carol kills the woman on the steps I noticed flowers off to the side. Was the woman facing them when Carol plunged the knife into her?

I am confused by that.   I thought the wolves were the people banished from Alexandria
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 02:42:44 PM »
The other thing that bothered me about the show was Carl showing mercy to the wolf.  Here is a kid that shoots first and asks questions later.  Why he didn't put the murderous marauder down first thing is baffling

weeze

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 02:50:13 PM »
wolves didn't know about Alexandria until they found the fotos and the map to the place so I don't think they were ever banished. however the thing with Carl not plugging that guy I agree, that made no sense.
all survivors need to be like Carol, if you feel threatened, just kill them. no remorse, no thought , just eliminate the threat. no second chances.
 Ive always been on team Daryl, but from the time that rick banished carol, which I said at the time I just didn't understand, shes the assassin of the group. Shes one tuff son of a gun! plus , lets face it what a great great character she is.

tucker115

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 209
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 05:51:31 PM »
The other thing that bothered me about the show was Carl showing mercy to the wolf.  Here is a kid that shoots first and asks questions later.  Why he didn't put the murderous marauder down first thing is baffling

C'mon guys! Really? Don't remember trying to impress the ladies in High School? Teenage boy (Carl) sees little cutie snuggling up to "distraught" other teen boy (who just had his father killed!  :( ). Now, with the town under attack he sees his chance! Carl will show her how he can protect her. protect the other teen boy (that's right, b*tch. I saved your a** right in front of MY girl that you were making moves on!), AND be merciful to the attacker. Of course he isn't going to blow the "wolves" head of right in front of his honey if he can avoid it!  Carl's using a different part of his body to make decisions in that moment! We've all made REALLY bad decisions for a pair of long eyelashes.  ;) Can't blame Carl for acting like a lustful teenage boy! Especially, since Carl's options are pretty damned limited!!!  :doh: