News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- BBH Posting and Conduct Policy 2.0

Started by MightyGiants, September 21, 2015, 03:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

These are the new posting guide lines to ensure that BBH maintains the core values I have posted at the end of the guidelines.   Please be advised if you do not follow the guidelines you will be subject to progressive disciplinary actions.  Losing fans from the board is never a good thing but a disruptive poster can often cost more as good people quietly leave.   So please pay heed to these guidelines

1)  CIVILITY-  Insults or insulting comments directed at other board members is not acceptable behavior.   Please conduct yourself like a gentleman or gentlewoman (which ever applies)

2)  THESE LOOP HOLES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE

A)  Insult a person's idea is no more acceptable than insulting the person directly.  Laughing at or mocking another member's position is not acceptable behavior

B) Making the target general will also be an unacceptable loophole.  Going after people here at BBH but not naming names is still unacceptable behavior

3)  This is a PG 13 board and so please use content and language that is appropriate

4)  Please be mindful that the board automatically sends out to our 7000+ social media followers the title of all new posts on the main board with a link back.  So please use good titles and if you posting a non-football topic please use put "NFT" (no quotes) in the title.  This will prevent the post from being broadcast and will let people know it's a topic that doesn't involve football

5)  It is not OK to retaliate or engage in cyber vigilante justice.   If you have an issue with a post please use the report post feature of if you have an issue with a poster please PM a moderator or admin.  So if you feel that someone insulted you or someone is disruptive notify the moderation team, that's their job to handle such things in a fair and impartial manner.

Common Courtesy, these are not rules per say but general guidelines on how to be a considerate poster to your fellow fans here on BBH

1)  Check to see that you are not posting a duplicate thread before starting a new one.   While we can merge threads, it's always nice to check first

2)  When referring to a member of the Giants organization please refrain from name calling.  It may surprise some to know that this board is filled with Giants fans and many of them don't enjoy hearing their favorite team insulted even by fellow fans.  It's OK to criticize the team but stay away from hyperbole (exaggeration)

3)  No one likes repetition.  If you have a point to make make it and move on or discuss it if fellow fans are interested.   A great way to annoy your fellow fans is to make the same basic point over and over again on all sorts of different topics.   Slight variations of the point doesn't make this practice anymore welcome

4) We are a big cyberfamily here.  So be considerate to your fellow Giants fans.   We all suffer the same ups and downs

5) Try not to side track a thread.  If you find yourself getting to off topic, consider starting a new thread.   Odds are some may find the new topic interesting and will not know to look and others who were talking about the original topic may annoyed that the thread changed to a topic different from the one they wanted to talk about.

6)  BBH is known for intelligent conversation.  So try and support opinions you make with reasons and facts.  Remember the whole difference between fact, opinion and belief.

Thank you and enjoy

BBH CORE VALUES

1)  Respect and Civility-  We should always been respectful and civil to one another.  We tell people they should join here because this is a site where you can be expected to be treated fairly and with respect

2)  We invite intelligent and well reasoned discussion-   There are plenty of places for over the top comments and wild arguments.  We have a board here for smart, mature and good conversation.   We want to talk football, Xs and Os, players and coaches and the like.  It's not about who you think sucks or who is worthless.  You can feel that someone isn't cutting it, but express it in a smart and respectful manner.  You can say Coughlin isn't getting the job done and explain why you feel that way.  Calling him a senile old man that needs to be fired isn't the sort of conversation BBH was created for.

3)  We are more than just a message board.   This is like a cyber family.  Many are friends here off the board and if that's not your thing that's fine to.  The idea is that we are supportive of one another.  Here you talk to people not just some disposable screen name or Twitter Handle.   We are all people here that try to support one another and from time to time we have gatherings for people to meet.

4)  BBH is you the members.  We the moderator team have the responsibility to keep order and make sure people don't hurt the board or disrupt things but in the end a message board is just a bunch of computer files, what makes this a great place and what this place really is, is all of you the people that post and share your thoughts and participate. 

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I often see people get caught up in a heated debate about a topic.   From my many years of internet discussion boards I have learned a few things:

1)  Conversation rarely maintains quality past 3 exchanges.   After you state a point, counter a disagreement and make another response, you pretty much have played out a disagreement.   There are no judges so debates are neither won or lost.  If after 3 attempts you fail to convince someone that your opinion is the correct one, any more attempts are highly unlikely to change things

2)  Consider points of agreement rather than exclusively the disagreement.  This was my mistake for many years.   I would rarely post that I agreed with someone (and/or expand on a point) but I would post to respond to points I disagreed with.   What happens if that's what you do is you tend to be seen as a disagreeable person.   Turns out people don't like to always be disagreed with...   who knew?

3) Agree to disagree can be better than the last word.  After all this is a community is being right more important than the friendships and the bonds?   I can say in the heat of the moment being right seemed more important and that usually leads to regret.

Finally

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Excellent post.  Did you draw the cartoon?  If not, your skills at searching the Internet are clearly second to none.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Tomeee

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on September 30, 2015, 10:31:12 AM
Excellent post.  Did you draw the cartoon?  If not, your skills at searching the Internet are clearly second to none.  Bob

Bob,

I saw this cartoon years ago and it really hit home for me.   So every once in awhile I search for it, so I can share it. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE