News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rate The Coordinator: Steve Spagnuolo

Started by Ed Vette, December 21, 2015, 06:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep him or dump him?

Hadron

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 22, 2015, 08:00:48 AM
Until last year I would have given Spags a pass as he had little to work with.  However I look at what happened to the Cowboys last year.  Prior to the start of the season it was thought the Cowboys would have the worst defense in the league due to a glaring lack of talent.  Monte Kiffin comes in and makes a respectable defense with what he had (he really didn't have a true pass rusher for instance).   Guys playing for him tended to have banner or career years.  In my mind that's what marks a great DC.   

Spags on the other hand hasn't managed to coax any of the defensive players to have a career year.  Not DRC, not Prince, not Kennard, certainly not Moore and so on.  So I would say Spags is at best an average DC for what it's worth.   Historically Spags seems to have had more failures than successes both as a DC and as a head coach so if Coughlin does go I don't see a need to keep Spags.

Didn't hurt that he had Strahan, Osi and Tuck at his disposal! Talent can hide a lot of deficiencies much like OBJ is doing with the offense.

babywhales

I was not for bringing Spags back and trying to bring back glory of yester year.

That being said this defense is a complete disaster.  I honestly believe whatever Spags calls the opposition can easily exploit.  He is in a loss/loss situation.

Having the 23rd worse scoring defense and 32nd defense in total yards is an embarrassment to the franchise and needs to change immediately.

This defense is a sad, painful joke that hurts to watch.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

katkavage

A new coach will probably bring his own DC in. I'm hoping the new coach comes from a defensive background.

andrew_nyGiants

Spags defense requires levels of talent in very specific areas:

I am going to oversimplify this so...it is what it is.

He needs a DL that can hold the point of attack..DT's who can penetrate inside, and DE who can seal the edge.

He needs at least ONE Safety who knows how to read formations and can take proper angles on ball carriers/receivers.

He needs one MLB who is a legitimate run/pass defender and can stay on the field 1st through 3rd down

and he needs corners who can play bump and run coverage

the rest you can fill in with Journeymen and he will put together a defense that can make the necessary stop at the right time.

He has nowhere near any of the above mentioned assets with few exceptions (DRC, a healthy Prince, and a 2 handed JPP)

So the consistent theme here is......
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

files58

Quote from: JimboWHO on December 22, 2015, 08:01:50 AM
The way I saw the last minute Dallas collapse was Garrett and Romo targeted Unga all the way down the field for the win.
JJM

As did Carolina to get into field goal range. Unga is still looking for his jock after getting juked out of it by Cam who is 6'5' and 250lb, then Olsen ran around him like he was a traffic cone. It's really not Unga's fault, he doesn't have the ability to play the Mike(or any LB position), but this is what JR gave TC to work with.

Bye_H8er

I heard Boomer Esiason even say that spags has special teamers playing on defense so you know he was dealt a short hand. We have no difference,big play making players on defense. No pass rushers,no rangy heat-seeking linebackers.
Fragile corners. Lack of depth at corner. Fringe line backing corps. We don't have a ball-hawking free safety and Collins the rookie safety always seems to arrive one step late to the ball carrier. I like seeing guys who are always around the ball making stops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ed Vette

You can change your vote now if you decided differently.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

We could have had Bill Belichick possessed by Vince Lombardi running that defense and it wouldn't have made a bit of a difference.  Those players are just plain awful.

Bye_H8er

Quote from: Gmo11 on December 28, 2015, 12:35:53 PM
We could have had Bill Belichick possessed by Vince Lombardi running that defense and it wouldn't have made a bit of a difference.  Those players are just plain awful.
absolutely right.
We know who to blame for that.

Bye_H8er

Quote from: Vette on December 28, 2015, 11:58:56 AM
You can change your vote now if you decided differently.
i don't understand what you mean.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

pagan43

Spags cannot rush the passer.
He needs players who can.
The D-Line suffered because they lacked any rookie production since the drafting of JPP.
This includes the high profile failure of Demantre Moore to develop.
Additionally, the injury of JPP, well after the free agency plums had already been picked prevented the Giants from collecting the kind of talent required.

If they had a crystal ball, perhaps they would have given a greater effort to signing Ndamkin Suh.
I honestly believe that bringing one more top tier pass rusher into the rotation would have won at least 4 more games.
That's how close they really were.

I still feel that they are close.
Three upgrades: Two more impact pass rushers (one by draft and one by free agency), one stud linebacker (by either draft or free agency).
Spags will redeem himself.

pagan43

Bye_H8er

Quote from: pagan43 on December 29, 2015, 01:00:05 PM
Spags cannot rush the passer.
He needs players who can.
The D-Line suffered because they lacked any rookie production since the drafting of JPP.
This includes the high profile failure of Demantre Moore to develop.
Additionally, the injury of JPP, well after the free agency plums had already been picked prevented the Giants from collecting the kind of talent required.

If they had a crystal ball, perhaps they would have given a greater effort to signing Ndamkin Suh.
I honestly believe that bringing one more top tier pass rusher into the rotation would have won at least 4 more games.
That's how close they really were.

I still feel that they are close.
Three upgrades: Two more impact pass rushers (one by draft and one by free agency), one stud linebacker (by either draft or free agency).
Spags will redeem himself.

pagan43
Suh is a head case. He can't be trusted.

pagan43

Quote from: Bye_H8er on December 29, 2015, 05:39:08 PM
Suh is a head case. He can't be trusted.

Damontre Moore is a head case. He could never be trusted and he has a fraction of Suh's impact on the field.

Now he's Suh's teammate...

pagan43