News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rate The Coordinator: Steve Spagnuolo

Started by Ed Vette, December 21, 2015, 06:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keep him or dump him?

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Giant Obsession

I've seen Spagnolo's work with credible NFL talent to work with defensively for the NEW YORK GIANTS..  I could care less about his time in St. Louis and N.O.

Players make plays at crunch time.  Being generous i see 3 players on that defense.

How in the world do you judge a defensive coach who is starting Craig Dahl and a rookie safety who needs LOTS of seasoning.  Invisible linebackers ??  And the pass rush has at least showed more improvement and penetration the last few games.  I trusts Spags.  McAdoo is another story.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

The12th man

Geez, give him some better pieces to work with! This may be a moot point; if you hire a coach from outside the organization would he be willing to keep the current staff (highly unlikely) or do you hire from within (who?).

jimv

Except for the Mcadoo cooment, Obs, i like your post.

JimboWHO

Quote from: jimv on December 21, 2015, 08:37:30 PM

Yeah, I "LIKED" but then "UNLIKED" his post after seeing the McAdoo comment.

JJM

Hadron

I didn't much care for the Spag (re)hire but this defense is lacking play makers at every level. All those high end assets (like first/second round picks) going into offense and subpar drafting in rounds 3-7 have hurt this team.

Outside of DRC and Hankins, there's not a whole lot to like on that defense.*

*I'm not including Collins in this assessment. It's not entirely fair to judge rookies during their rookie season on a depleted squad. 

Giant Obsession

Quote from: jimv on December 21, 2015, 08:37:30 PM

Jim...quite simply to me McAdoo has done less with more ...Spags more with less.

Not to hijack the thread because i went into detail in the rate McAdoo thread.  I do not give McAdoo a pass because of the OLine.  Denver's OL has been a mess all year.  Same for NE.  Same for San Diego and another half dozen teams.  Eli has mastered the quick release because of this.  if you want to give McAdoo credit for that....great.  But Eli is a Manning and I just have a feeling that they get a wee bit smarter and wiser each year they play.

A big minus for me...the 4 man RB committee.  Jennings and Vereen weren't given nice contracts because they are stumblebums.  They are weapons...certainly not OBJ type of weapns..but weapons nonetheless  To me "underuse" is "misuse".  Heck some game they are "nonused".  We got OBJ...a slowly blossoming TE whom I have fallen in love with and Jennings and Vereen.   Jennings and Vereen should have 25-30 touches per game.  period.

Andre Williams has had 71 rushes this year.  Forget any receptions or plays he is on the field but does not touch the ball.  That fact alone raises my blood pressure a good 20 points.  And i do not forgive TC for that either.  After about 4 games of that rotational crap it should have been halted.  the fact it continued on scares the heck out of me.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Ed Vette

The last two games Jennings got the majority of carries and the running game improved. What was the reason or catalyst in the change?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Vette on December 21, 2015, 09:41:42 PM
The last two games Jennings got the majority of carries and the running game improved. What was the reason or catalyst in the change?

Rhythm
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Why did they change from dividing the carries to going with Jennings the last two games? Media criticism or by design?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bye_H8er

I love spagnolo.
I think players play for him but I don't think he has personnel to work with.
I blame Reese for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

UKGiantsFan

I went for needs more time. Why? Because regardless of the type of players he had to work with as we saw against the Cowboys in the first game a QB an offensive coordinator studying his play-calling tendencies from years ago picked apart his defense like they knew what was coming - because they did.

Quite frankly, I don't think he's learned anything new since last time he was with us. He hasn't evolved in any way.

MightyGiants

Until last year I would have given Spags a pass as he had little to work with.  However I look at what happened to the Cowboys last year.  Prior to the start of the season it was thought the Cowboys would have the worst defense in the league due to a glaring lack of talent.  Monte Kiffin comes in and makes a respectable defense with what he had (he really didn't have a true pass rusher for instance).   Guys playing for him tended to have banner or career years.  In my mind that's what marks a great DC.   

Spags on the other hand hasn't managed to coax any of the defensive players to have a career year.  Not DRC, not Prince, not Kennard, certainly not Moore and so on.  So I would say Spags is at best an average DC for what it's worth.   Historically Spags seems to have had more failures than successes both as a DC and as a head coach so if Coughlin does go I don't see a need to keep Spags.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JimboWHO

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on December 22, 2015, 07:53:38 AM
I went for needs more time. Why? Because regardless of the type of players he had to work with as we saw against the Cowboys in the first game a QB an offensive coordinator studying his play-calling tendencies from years ago picked apart his defense like they knew what was coming - because they did.

Quite frankly, I don't think he's learned anything new since last time he was with us. He hasn't evolved in any way.

The way I saw the last minute Dallas collapse was Garrett and Romo targeted Unga all the way down the field for the win.

JJM

JoeP

The players have to actually execute the plan, which for the most part they did not.

Given the lack of talent or brains, Spags was trying to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t all season long.