News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rate the Head Coach

Started by Ed Vette, December 22, 2015, 09:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you support Tom Coughlin?

Ed Vette

After two polls gauging the barometer of sentiment toward the OC and DC, it looks like both have majority support. If that's the case, at this point in the season what support if any is there for Tom Coughlin?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Messiah717

In what looks like a fourth straight year out of the playoffs it's time to go in another direction.  You're not handing him a 2017 contract off of this to avoid lame duck status next year. 

The12th man

I love what the man has done for the team BUT I say a major shake up is needed. I'm sure the next poll will be about the GM.....he goes as well!

jimv

I voted # 2.  Even so, I think he should retire after this season.  But, where does that leave the team?  I don't see anyone out there better than him.

Mikey Ravioli

I think TC has earned the right to leave on his own terms rather than be ridden out of town on a rail.
That being said - I wouldn't mind if he decided to retire after this season.

Not because I don't think he's a good coach or he is losing it. But because no coach can turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad. No coach has done more with less but keeping him on without the talent is cruel and unusual punishment for a man who deserves better.

andrew_nyGiants

No offense but: Where's the Jerry Reese poll?
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Messiah717

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on December 22, 2015, 10:10:35 AM
No offense but: Where's the Jerry Reese poll?

I think that's next.  Vette probably just wants each poll to have some time to breath and get noticed. 

JimboWHO

Quote from: jimv on December 22, 2015, 09:56:33 AM
I voted # 2.  Even so, I think he should retire after this season.  But, where does that leave the team?  I don't see anyone out there better than him.

This is exactly my feeling - torn.  I just lost some respect for him after the Dallas fiasco.  He's handled Beckham  poorly as well.

JJM

jerseyguy

I can't see how TC can escape his responsibility in this OBJ fiasco, he saw what was going on and did nothing. Maybe if he had stepped in and sat OBJ down and had a coach talk with him things wouldn't have escalated to the point that it did. I also can't see how Norman escaped with no league penalties and I might add that the officials in that game were responsible in a big way.

T200

I didn't pick one of the choices because it doesn't line up with my thought, which is this: for me, TC's wagon is hitched to Eli. I don't want Eli to have to go through a head coaching and philosophy change, another offensive coordinator and system during his last few good years. I figure Eli's got a solid 4-5 prime years left in this system. He's getting the ball out quicker and taking less hits, prolonging his health. McAdoo's system is good for Eli even though many fans here don't like the play calling.

I think TC can still be effective with more talent defensively. The offense isn't far off. Offensive line health has been the biggest factor. Defense is sorely lacking. It'll probably take 2-3 years to get it where it needs to be. I still feel defense wins championships but with this offense, we can run up the score as well. TC's made some questionable calls that, if they had worked out, would not be discussed past that particular game. I don't think he should be let go or forced to retire but I also understand it's a results-oriented business. Superbowl victories do indeed have a shelf life. 2011-2012 is getting smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

tucker115

Prior to the Carolina game, I would said TC had the right to another year or two - if he wanted it. I felt TC's failure to remove Beckham from the game is a serious black mark on what I consider a HOF career. You cannot be a leader when you allow a guy to completely go over the edge out on the field. I have never seen TC look weaker. Very sad. Good man, good coach. Now, there's a little tarnish that did not need to be there.

LennG

There is one thing the Giants hate more than losing to Dallas and that is being in the headlines for the wrong reasons, and that is exactly where we are.

In think just about everyone agrees that Coughlin should have done SOMETHING and he didn't. Almost everyone agrees that former Tom Coughlin WOULD have dune something and this new version didn't. Sorry, but I respect Tom and everything he has done for this team, but his time has come now. What we are seeing is a shell of the other Tom Coughlin, for what reason's I have no idea. But it is now time to move on. And I don't buy there is no one out there any better. As of now, the NFL is littered with former HC's who lost their team and coached fearing for their job. There ARE many young, on the way up coaches out there and I'd be willing to take a shot on one of them.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

babywhales

I honestly have no real idea on what TC is and is not doing.

It appears he has lost his sense on the real time game.  He has lost his ability to play the chess match of X's and O's with the opposing coach.

He has beckham putting up solid numbers. TC has been a second father to many a man that have come to the Giants, so it is hard to tell what is going on with Beckham.  Moving forward the Giants will need to bring him along differently.  Is TC the guy for this?  In the past I would say yes, but I am not sure anymore.

His teams are streaky at best, and at times they do not seem prepared as they could be regardless of TC's Big picture organization. 

I think he is still doing good in other areas and overall, not great, but good.

IS good enough? 

How will they spend the  wind fall of cap space? 

If Reese screws up the 10's of millions of cap space this teams problems will go on for many years to come. 

I suspect Reese and TC will both be back with a 45% overturn on the roster.

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

katkavage

TC has two Super Bowls. That's quite an accomplishment. It will never get better for him again, I hate to say. It never does. And the past four years are proof. It will get worse and worse if he sticks around. Tom Landry and others fell into the same trap. It's absolutely time to move on. How it is handled is another issue. Maybe the next coach will be bad, maybe not. But a serious change has to be made otherwise it will be status quo or worse.

Messiah717

Same thing happened with Torre and the Yankees.  When it's time it's time.