News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rate the Head Coach

Started by Ed Vette, December 22, 2015, 09:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you support Tom Coughlin?

McGIANTS

I'm not sure how to vote on this one. In my heart I think it's time for Coughlin to step down. He's been with the Giants for over a decade and gave them 2 Super Bowl titles. His teams more over than not, have been mediocre to poor. This year I think the Giants are better than their record. They've been in pretty much every game except one and have just had trouble finishing games. TC has apparently lost two of his top qualities this year - controlling the clock and coach's challenges. He used to be really good at both of those but this year he's obviously slipping. This year despite the close games, he hasn't had much of a running game or defense so part of me thinks that if the Giants should fix those, things would be okay. I'm wondering if the bigger problem is Reese and the scouting department as there's a lot of players on the team who wouldn't be on other teams because they're not very good. We all know several key areas have been ignored for a long time in the draft and free agency. That has hurt the Giants in the long run. So, again, I just don't know. I like Coughlin and I like the attitude he brought when he first came to the Giants. I'm thankful for the 2 SB championships and I know the problems on this team are not entirely his fault, especially this year. He hasn't had a lot lot to work with. I'm not so sure there's an easy fix with this team.

andrew_nyGiants

To no ones surprise, I chose the last one. If he had a middle of the pack roster, and middle of the pack time missed due to injuries instead of near DEAD LAST in BOTH categories, I believe he would be 10-4 instead of 6-8.

I want a Front Office/scouting staff housecleaning. There is nothing wrong with this coaching staff IMO.
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Hadron

I don't think Coughlin is the problem. While I'm not in love with the crowd that thinks Coughlin should coach until he wants to retire crowd, I still think him and the coaching staff are doing okay with the roster give to them.

It basically boils down to who replaces him? I think the Giants are a year late to the replacement carousel. Will probably need to chase a coordinator.

GIANTS1

after the second super bowl I promised I would never bad mouth him again.  that was until sunday. I still cant believe he didn't sit him for a  series and get in his face. He was hurting the team.  if he would have maybe he would have him this week. GO GIANTS

jerseyguy

Quote from: Mikey Ravioli on December 22, 2015, 10:08:22 AM
I think TC has earned the right to leave on his own terms rather than be ridden out of town on a rail.
That being said - I wouldn't mind if he decided to retire after this season.

Not because I don't think he's a good coach or he is losing it. But because no coach can turn chicken sh*t into chicken salad. No coach has done more with less but keeping him on without the talent is cruel and unusual punishment for a man who deserves better.
TC will never be fired but he might be asked politely to retire.

Section 101 Steve

After last years statement from Mara about accountability and its playoffs or bust after the last couple of horrible years if he doesn't change both the coach and GM he will have lost a lot of credibility in my eyes and I suspect most giant fans. This team is a disaster with a severe lack of personal and a coach that has lost his fastball blowing games earlier with his clock management and personnel decisions and yesterday watching OBJ implode and seemingly not understanding what was going on if his postgame comments are to be believed. I don't. I think he simply didn't want a confrontation with his star player and when that happens its time for you to go as the inmates are running the asylum.
sm

Jaime

TC has done some great things for this Franchise, like two Lombardi trophies. But that was then, and this is now. his Staff continues mismanagement of injuries, TC's horrendous clock management (amongst other gaffes), four RB vaudeville act, & the latest indication of loss of control with the recent Beckham saga.
I believe that many players have tuned him out, as they c TC as a lame duck. they all say that company line when interviewed, but I don't buy it. This Father (Grandfather) figure that is bestowed upon TC just doesn't fly.
I've seen one too many "deer in the headlights" looks from TC on the sidelines this season.

Ed Vette

So far this looks pretty even between stay or go.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

Quote from: Vette on December 23, 2015, 12:02:49 AM
So far this looks pretty even between stay or go.

There will always be those that can not remove past accomplishments from current performance, loyalty from unbiased review, fear of the unknown from the known, etc....

I would be shocked if a group this size wasn't almost evenly split.
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Woody

TC has had his run and we all appreciate the two SB wins....I will try to be brief.....

His coaching style does not fit todays NFL. The latest collective bargaining agreement really put a crimp on his coaching style and preparation methods for the football season. And , myself being a retired manger of young people , I know it is not easy to relate and motivate the young people (21-30 year olds) in any work environment especially some of the spoiled athletes in todays NFL.
This will be the fourth season in a row that the team has not made the playoffs and really does not seem to be getting any better. Same old excuses from the the team, too many injuries  etc. but the bottom line is poor play with no positive results at the end of the year.
Reece , Coughlin, Fewell, Spags, Macadoo, Gilbride  whomever the names are things are not changing. Is Coughlin a bad coach , no. Are all these problems over the past few years his fault, no. Is there a better coach out there? Maybe ,maybe not ....but I really think it is time for the Giants to find out for themselves if there is someone that can change things up. Can things turnaround quickly , absolutely in the NFL today it is possible.
But I am afraid , that if changes are not made this off season , then why should we expect anything different than what has happened from the past 4 years , next year ?
In my opinion, changes need to be made after the season is over, and I hope it is done with class and dignity for all effected , especially, in regards to Tom Coughlin.

Jintsman74

Quote from: Woody on December 23, 2015, 10:03:55 AM
TC has had his run and we all appreciate the two SB wins....I will try to be brief.....

His coaching style does not fit todays NFL. The latest collective bargaining agreement really put a crimp on his coaching style and preparation methods for the football season. And , myself being a retired manger of young people , I know it is not easy to relate and motivate the young people (21-30 year olds) in any work environment especially some of the spoiled athletes in todays NFL.
This will be the fourth season in a row that the team has not made the playoffs and really does not seem to be getting any better. Same old excuses from the the team, too many injuries  etc. but the bottom line is poor play with no positive results at the end of the year.
Reece , Coughlin, Fewell, Spags, Macadoo, Gilbride  whomever the names are things are not changing. Is Coughlin a bad coach , no. Are all these problems over the past few years his fault, no. Is there a better coach out there? Maybe ,maybe not ....but I really think it is time for the Giants to find out for themselves if there is someone that can change things up. Can things turnaround quickly , absolutely in the NFL today it is possible.
But I am afraid , that if changes are not made this off season , then why should we expect anything different than what has happened from the past 4 years , next year ?
In my opinion, changes need to be made after the season is over, and I hope it is done with class and dignity for all effected , especially, in regards to Tom Coughlin.

Exactly, I couldn't agree with you more. It is too bad things have come to this as it needs to handled swiftly and with class once the season is over.

jerseyguy

someone just said on here that TC had no running game, well I think part of the problem with that is whoever it is who decided on a run game by committee, that concept didn't work and we stayed with it too long before we let Jennings have the touches he needed to get going.

todge

One other angle that has not been discussed- how does Mara sell to the fan base another  year of a coach who has not made the Playoffs for four years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalklplpp
Mlllpppl

jerseyguy

Quote from: todge on December 25, 2015, 09:57:41 PM
One other angle that has not been discussed- how does Mara sell to the fan base another  year of a coach who has not made the Playoffs for four years.

Mlllpppl
thats a good point, after all Mara is a businessman selling a product......

Rambo89

I couldn't pick any of them.  For me while I don't blame Tom Coughlin for what has happened the last three seasons I believe it's time to move in a different direction.  The Giants need to rebuild before Eli has nothing left.

Quote from: babywhales on December 23, 2015, 09:11:23 AM
There will always be those that can not remove past accomplishments from current performance, loyalty from unbiased review, fear of the unknown from the known, etc....

Same could be said for the Jerry Reese defenders.

Quote from: todge on December 25, 2015, 09:57:41 PM

Mlllpppl

Selling the fan base now with the new stadium is much different than it was under his old man.  There's a lot more to lose and gain financially.  Which is why I wouldn't rule out the Giants uncharacteristicly firing the GM and HC.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18