News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rate the Head Coach

Started by Ed Vette, December 22, 2015, 09:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you support Tom Coughlin?

murderhill

I voted for the "needs a better supporting cast for the defense" category and then realized that the word needs should be replaced with the word needed.  We would not have been having this conversation if there were enough quality players on the defensive side of the equation and because of the injuries, who the hell can you blame?

I agree with Jimv. Who are we going to get that will be better?  So on this topic, the responsibility for finding someone better lies solely on either the head of JR but if he is asked to go, then it lies with Mara and Teich. 

I agree with all the guys who think he's done, put a fork in him.  He's got a win-loss history that is not enviable and the two super bowl win meme is tiresome.

T200 has a point.

LennG is the gambler, the guy willing to take a shot at the up and coming coaching stars.

I think Babywhales has a compelling point of view.

I don't agree with anyone who thinks he is a HOF candidate.

There is no question in my mind that he was the primary cause of the first game loss against Dallas and the secondary cause of the last game when he lost track of what was happening with Beckham and that is hard to comprehend.

Woody makes the most compelling explanation.

Todge is about dollars and Rambo, like me is ambivalent.

One thing I hate is fans piling on Coughlin and that has been the sentiment for some for a long while.  I hate the unfocused enmity. 

After Washington loses the next two games and the Giants win the next two games and we make it in to the playoffs, this post will be laughable memorabilia.

jimv

"After Washington loses the next two games and the Giants win the next two games and we make it in to the playoffs, this post will be laughable memorabilia."

I LOVE that part of your post, Dennis. :ok:  Let's hope it happens. :yes:

Ed Vette

You can change your vote now if you decided differently.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

He messed up the clock situation too many times for my liking, but having said that the rest of the job he's pretty darn good at.  So unless you know of somebody better lying around that wants the job we should stick with Coughlin.  Good head coaches are few and far between in this league.  Ask the Eagles how getting rid of a good coach with clock management deficiencies went for them.

jerseyguy

with the new stadium on the horizon I think Mara knows he has to keep the fans happy or the seats might not be filled

Section 101 Steve

What new stadium?? What did I miss??
sm

Ed Vette

Didn't you hear, the Giants are moving to
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

USAFgiant

One can strong case for dismissing both Reese and Coughlin (and members of their staff) or for retaining one of them.  Much hinges on whether or not ownership can confidently assign blame for the state of the roster on specific members of the scouting staff rather than on Reese himself.  For example, is there a record of missed picks that falls squarely on a scout's poor recommendations?  How much confidence has Ross inspired?

However, ownership will make all of these decisions in context; similarly, it's best for fans to consider these choices holistically rather than discretely.  Moreover, we can expect ownership to have completed an initial survey of the available talent to target before dismissing personnel.  Mara and Tisch will presumably have a better read than most of us do from reading a few speculative articles on the subject, and they will be prepared to resist "change for change's sake."  Mara, an emotional man, is on record stating that he prefers to make such changes absent the emotional frustration he experiences immediately following a disappointing season.  That said, such changes are often made quickly to get a jump on the talent competition. 

The good news is that the Giants are an enviable organization with stable owership, large-market appeal, and a winning tradition.  GM and HC candidates are likely to consider the Giants a top choice among those clubs with vacancies. 

I predict changes will happen because this playoff drought is too long for a club with a franchise QB.  Absent better/inside information, I'd say Coughlin retires and Reese is retained to manage a stable transition to a new coaching staff. 

Leonkaye

He never was a great coach.    He ran a clean program and was a decent coach.   He was competition e and the Superbowls could have gone either way.

I think he has no hold over the coordinators or Eli.   He lets them basically run wild.   When its the fourth quarter and you are protecting a lead, you cannot allow the coordinator and kb to be gunslingers throwing into double coverage to get a first down.     Run the ball.    Eat clock.   Yell at your coordinator and fire him if he goes empty backfield on first and goal at the 5 yard line.    N B A coaches pull centers when they let the point guard go in and not contest a layup.    Why not bench Eli if he thinks has Brett Favre throwing the ball in the Buffalo game when all he had to do was throw it away?   Take a knee.   But don't throw an interception and possibly give the game to your opponent.   And then say it was a wild game.

Ed Vette

66 % support for Coughlin at this point.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

pagan43

I honestly believe that Coughlin will retire.
If not this season, then certainly next.

He won't need to be told.

And I am fine with him calling his own number.

pagan43

jerseyguy

I agree that Coughlin may decide to take the embarrassing problem of having the Mara's fire him by retiring, hell he's going to be 70...

Bob In PA

Tom Coughlin is my all-time favorite head coach.  He's also the easiest man in the world to get rid of.  You just ask him to leave.  If he's the Giants' head coach next season, it will be because no one asked him to leave.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Mr. Matt

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 30, 2015, 10:56:12 AM
Tom Coughlin is my all-time favorite head coach.  He's also the easiest man in the world to get rid of.  You just ask him to leave.  If he's the Giants' head coach next season, it will be because no one asked him to leave.
I agree with all of this. Also my favorite, and yes the man respects authority, possibly to a fault.
"If there are going to be endless echoes, choose the good ones." -Eli Manning

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin