News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Vince Costello

Started by Webster29, June 18, 2007, 02:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Webster29

First things first.  I would like to thank MG and Big Hitter for creating this board and extremely happy it is dedicated to the memory of Chris Allen.  In my opinion CA was someone very special.  If anyone had a question on Giants or NFL history for that matter Chris would either have the answer at hand (usually) or know where to find it.  It was a sad day when we lost him and I am so glad this board will help keep his memory alive.

And now on to the subject.  How many of you old farts (I'm one too and proud of it) remember Vince Costello and how he played for the Giants?  As a kid growing up in western NYS we would get all the Cleveland Browns games on tv.  Costello was their middle lb and a darn good one.  He never made the pro bowl and probably was a little undersized for a mlb but he seemed to be all over the field making plays.  The Giants picked him up before the 67 season and he played mlb for the Giants in 67 and 68.  The Giants finished 7 - 7 both years and finished 2nd in their division.  I seem to remember Vince playing quite well during his stay with the Giants but I can't remember any specifics of him.  Do any of you guys remember how he played and anything else about him???  This would be quite a bit of interest to me.  Thanks.

retrojint

Hi Red:   Costello's playing dimensions by the encyclopedia:  6-0, 228.
I think he probably weighed more than that when he was with the Giants.  As I recall he had a bit of a gut.

He had four picks in 67, which was second on the team to Spider's 5.  I remember a good form tackler who led with his pads to increase the hitting surface when he attempted to drop the ball carrier.  Nimble in coverage as the interceptions would attest.  But not a guy who in that point in his career was going to cover somebody 25 yards down the field like Huff did. 

He was probably best described as a tough, resilient bandaid covering a gaping gash.  Despite his considerable efforts, the 67 team gave up the following point totals:  Dallas-38, Washington-38,, Green Bay -48, Cleveland -34, Chicago-34 & Detroit-30. 

This was a high scoring era so you have to curve the TPA.  For example, the Cowboys were 9-5 that year but they gave up 24, 35,21,21, 27,21,23& 24 on their fourteen game sked.  The Skins led by Otto Graham gave up 30 or more 5 times with a high-water mark of 42 against the Browns. 

Consider the corp of linebackers he played with:  Mike Ciccollela, Bill Swain, Ed Weisacosky, Ken Avery and Dick Kotite (! yes that Kotite.  I only remember Wagner's finest as a tight end)  You could make the case that Ken Avery was a pretty good football player, a guy who later played for the expansion Bengals.  Everybody else, you throw back in the water.

1968:  No picks, but remember he's 36 at that point.  Know many 36 year old linebackers?  The defense actually kept the scores down better in this season.  Only Cleveland exceeded 30.  They did so in a big way when the beat the Giants 45-10 on the third to last game of the year.  That one was in Cleveland.  Henry Davis appeared on the scene that season.  Remember him?  He would later make some noise with the Steelers in the embryonic stages of their burgeoning dynasty, along with another ex-Giant--John "Frenchy" Fuqua. 

Actually I liked the 68 backers much better.  They had Tommy Crutcher, who was a pretty good linebacker who got lost behind Robinson-Nitschke-Caffey, and the young Fred Carr.   Dave Robinson and Bobby Bell were actually the protypes of the size-speed-range variety at the OLB position. It didn't start with LT, folks. 

Costello is remembered fondly by Giants fans of that era as a reliable, durable, steadying force on what was actually a pretty gruesome defense.
He played his best ball with the Browns--no question--but he saved a little for the Giants. 

Webster29

BigHitter---thanks for the pic.  That was great.  Brings back some memories.

And Retro that was just great.  Exactally what I was hoping someone would come up with.  Thank you both.

retrojint

Red:  You're welcome.  That was a great photo that Brian submitted.  I wonder who the Eagle ball carrier is?  Any clues?  Kind of looks like Timmy Brown in the face, but that's not his number.  Israel Lang?  Tom Woodeshick, beloved ancestor of Bill Belichick?  Perhaps Earl Gros?  Whom to do have their, fella?  Not Retzlaff, the tight end.  A DomT favorite, that guy.  Had a weird number like 44 if I recall correctly.

Personal question:  In the glorious days of trucking before the Surface and Air Deregulation Act of 1979. when we all basked in protected routes and guaranteed profit margins, whom did you work for?  I am going to guess Bos Linco.  Am I correct?

bighitterdalama

Steve,

That's Eagle fullback Earl Gros:

http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=GROSEAR01

And you are right about Pete Renzlaff. He wore Eagle #44.

Brian

retrojint

Great cards, Da Lama.  Thanks.  Had them both.  In our table football leagues, Gross was always a safe draft at fullback during those years. 

NapoleonBlownapart

"Seven Days to Sunday, Crisis week with the NY football G's"  has many pages devoted to Vince Costello.  A few excerpts from my copy:

"In 1957, Costello was Cleveland's rookie of the year.  Now in 1967, I told him he should get the Giants old man of the year award.  I will get that in 1977 when I retire"

"Costello was the number one social lion on the club, although just joining the team, his face was open and friendly and brown eyes alert to everyone around him"

"his experience was rich and his knowledge was great, and he was a warm giving teammate who enriched the entire club with his presence"

"I got eyes in my ears, explained Costello. He repeatedly made big interceptions and then drove his stubby legs hard for effective runbacks.  I picked up a few running skills from watching Jimmy Brown all those years.  If you studied my style, you would see that.  I told him you look as much as Jimmy Brown as an alley cat does to a Lion"

if anyone is interested Check out NFL 1967 NYG highlights avail on youtube or 1967 GOTW Packers vs Giants @Yankee, for a glimpse of the stubby legged Costello