News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could the Best of the Wilderness Teams Have Made it to a Super Bowl?

Started by Giant Jim, April 03, 2016, 07:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Jim

When talk of the bad drafts of recent years comes up, those of us that have been around awhile remember over  20 years of bad drafts in the 60's and 70's. The bad drafts started before Allie Sherman became head coach and lasted until George Young took over the draft.

When we lose a player from that era, like Willie Williams last year, it brings back great memories of some really good players from those bad teams we've forgotten or were too young to see. Whenever talk of the greatest Giants of all time comes up, names from the glory years like Gifford and Huff are mentioned then the names jump to Simms, Taylor and Banks. Barely a name or 2 from the '64-'79 teams. 

I'd like to put together a "Wilderness All Star Team". Each name should include how he was acquired (i.e. 3rd rd draft pick, free agent, trade). I want to see if we can can put together a Super Bowl contender from players acquired during this period or just how bad the teams drafting was back then.

To be eligible, players had to be acquired before 1979. Harry Carson is eligible because he was drafted during this time. Players should be measured by their level of play after 1964. For example, Del Shofner was one of the best receivers in the NFL during the glory years, but after 1963 he didn't really do much. He wouldn't make my wilderness team. Let's see if we can come up with a Super Bowl contender from a group of players that were acquired between 1960 & 1979 and played here between 1964 & 1983.

I'll start with a couple, then others can add to it.

QB-Fran Tarkenton- 1967 trade for 2 first, 2 second and 1 third round picks. Played at HOF level his first 4 years here.

DT- John Mendenhall- 1972 third round draft pick. I don't think he ever made the Pro Bowl, but he played at close to pro bowl level.

OK, we need 20 more starters for our offense and 4-3 defense plus kickers, return men, Head Coach and if you disagree with my first 2 choices, a couple more starters.

Giant Obsession

My apologies for just noticing this thread....it is darn worth examining.

Hence...a few from that era who i deem worthy.

Free Safety -- Spider Lockhart -- 13th round of '65 draft -- played in 2 pro Bowls

Linebackers -- Harry Carson -- 4th round of 1976 draft
                     Brad Van Pelt --  round 2 of 1976 draft
Def. End -- Jack Gregory -- acquired from Cleveland 1972 and played 6 years as a Giant garnering 65 sacks
Running Back -- Larry Csonka -- acquired from defunct WFL via Dolphins -- gained 1344 yards in 3 seasons.  While not that noteworthy, if we are assembling a Super Bowl contender team i want him at FB so long as McVay and Gibson are not around :)           
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

CoachS

How about TE Bob Tucker? Signed as a free agent out of the Atlantic Coast League in 1970. First TE to lead the NFL in pass receptions. 1st Team all-pro in 1972. Traded to Vikings in 1977.

spiderblue43

Homer Jones was tremendous. As good as any WR in the late 60's. De's Jack Gregory and Fred Dryer were all-star caliber wasted.  Van Pelt was my hero as a young fan, totally forgotten and one of the best LBs of his era. Also, the late DT Troy Archer who left us way too soon. Don't forget scrappy Doug Kotar, who would have been an asset on playoff teams.

Giant Jim

This  thread never really took off, but since there's not much going on right now, I thought we could get it going again. So far, we have:

Offense

LT-Brad Benson
LG -Doug Van Horn
C-Greg Larson
RG
RT
TE-Bob Tucker
QB-Fran Tarkenton
HB-Doug Kotar, Ron Johnson
FB-Larry Csonka (We'll go with Csonka for now until we see who the coaches are.) Tucker Frederickson
WR-Homer Jones
WR

DEFENSE

DE-Jack Gregory
DT-John Mendenhall
DT-Troy Archer
DE-Fred Dryer
LB-Brian Kelley
MLB-Harry Carson
LB-Brad Van Pelt
CB-Willie Williams
CB
FS-Spider Lockhart
SS

OTHERS

PUNTER-Dave Jennings
KICKERPete Gogolak
HEAD COACH-

So far, the only one I disagree with is Doug Kotar, Ron Johnson would be my choice. I'll add Dave Jennings to get this going again. How about the offensive line, was it really that bad for all those years?

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimv

Forget Csonka.  he was at the end of his career and actually was the cause of "the Fumble!"

FB - Tucker Frederickson

C- Greg Larson

K - Pete Gogolak

RB - add Ron Johnson

LB - Brian Kelley

LT - Brad Benson

LG - Doug Van Horn

Giant Jim

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 15, 2018, 02:33:14 PM
Head coach, Perkins
I just realized I missed this. Perkins was hired by George Young, the first acquisition not eligible.

NapoleonBlownapart

Quote from: Giant Jim on July 15, 2018, 07:05:58 AM
This  thread never really took off, but since there's not much going on right now, I thought we could get it going again. So far, we have:

Offense

LT-Willie Young
LG -Doug Van Horn
C-Greg Larson
RG Dick Enderle
RT Joe Taffoni
TE-Bob Tucker
QB-Fran Tarkenton
HB-Doug Kotar, Ron Johnson
FB-Larry Csonka (We'll go with Csonka for now until we see who the coaches are.) Tucker Frederickson
WR-Homer Jones
WR Don Herrmann

DEFENSE

DE-Jack Gregory
DT-John Mendenhall
DT-Troy Archer
DE-Fred Dryer
LB-Matt Hazeltine
MLB-Jim Files
LB- Ron Hornsby
CB-Willie Williams
CB Bobby Brooks
FS-Spider Lockhart
SS - Tom Longo

OTHERS

PUNTER-Dave Jennings
KICKERPete Gogolak
HEAD COACH- Alex Webster

So far, the only one I disagree with is Doug Kotar, Ron Johnson would be my choice. I'll add Dave Jennings to get this going again. How about the offensive line, was it really that bad for all those years?

Hey Jim! Awesome thread. I took out all of the players that made it to playoffs/SB and added a few other choices of those that never got close to thew playoffs LOL.  for HC it would have to be Alex Webster,  He led them to 9-5 in 1970 and 8- 6 in 1972.  the players all loved him with Bob Tucker calling Alex "he was a players HC. we loved playing for Alex"