News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dave of nflscouting's Draft Reports

Started by nflscouting, April 07, 2016, 04:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nflscouting

Mighty Giants asked me about a few early round offensive tackles my staff likes. I sent the report on Shon Coleman earlier, but this is a BRIEF look at our report on LSU's Jerald Hawkins. The kid is versatile - 2 years on the strong side and then over to left tackle last season. His body is still growing, but I like his footwork. He's also a decent trap blocker & teams sometimes like getting their rookie OL guys feet wet at guard. I see him more of a third round guy, but there is a lot a position coach will like in him, as he's fairly quick to pick up any schemes. By the way-his coaches seemed to rely upon him a lot. Over the left side of the line, 21 of 38 TDs and 1997 of 3082 rushing yards came from that area.
JERALD HAWKINS SCOUTING REPORT
Athletic Ability

nflscouting

Folks, one of the nice guys, Cid from DuPont asked about Jerald Hawkins-LSU. I will post his full report when I return from SEC spring camp scrimmages after this week, but here is an excerpt from the Hawkins scouting report to Tide over until then, thanks!
HAWKINS SCOUTING REPORT
Body Structure

nflscouting

Hey Mighty Giants, I had posted this earlier, but I think in the switch-off by the moderators it might have gotten lost in translation. You asked about a few OTs that might be round 2/3 guys for Big Blue. I posted the scouting report on LSU's Jerald Hawkins & think he is the "purrfect" fit in Round 3, as he has 2 years on the right side as a starter before shifting to the weak-side last year. Check out his report somewhere on here.
Here is another guy most are saying possible in Round 2, Auburn's Shon Coleman. He battled cancer for 2 years (luekemia) before playing for the Tigers and last year, was a bit of a struggle early before really stepping it up in the second half. The problem for him is that until later this week, he's yet to work out as he recovers from right knee surgery. Personally, I am a bit hesitant drafting him, not because of the cancer, but at age 25, the porch light is still a work in progress. Here is his scouting report. I'm doing the SEC spring scrimmage trips this week (for 2017 prospects), so I will be reporting on & off from the road;
SHON COLEMAN SCOUTING REPORT
Athletic Ability

MightyGiants

Dave thanks for the write ups on the OTs.  It looks like there might be a good prospect or two but with so few it is a gamble to wait if they are looking at the draft to fill all needs.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

nflscouting

Love Jack, but I feel Lee is going to be the better pro. No disrespect to Jack, but I like him tons better as a Will guy inside or as a strong safety than on the flank. Big hitter, but he's a smart, savvy type I want directing traffic, not roaming the field on the edge

todge

Quote from: nflscouting on April 12, 2016, 04:37:17 PM
Love Jack, but I feel Lee is going to be the better pro. No disrespect to Jack, but I like him tons better as a Will guy inside or as a strong safety than on the flank. Big hitter, but he's a smart, savvy type I want directing traffic, not roaming the field on the edge

Dave - several of your colleagues Brugler and Nawrocki have some concerns about Lee's body build and overall strength.  Nolan specifically said that he looks "maxed out" ... "looks small and plays small".  The Scout that Nawrocki employs states he is a "safety" and his value lies in the 2nd Round. Brugler stated that he gets easily engulfed by blocking linemen in running plays.  What is your reply to those reports?

The Giants were one of the worst teams last year defending the run. So why would they bring in a guy who may be an excellent pass protector but gets washed out of running plays far too often?  Although many here have disagreed with me - the Giants have typically wanted their LBs to be run stoppers first and foremost.  So if they took Lee, that would represent a change in philosophy.  Wouldn't he be a better fit for a team who want their LBs to be speedy cover types first?

AZGiantFan

Quote from: todge on April 12, 2016, 05:54:06 PM
Dave - several of your colleagues Brugler and Nawrocki have some concerns about Lee's body build and overall strength.  Nolan specifically said that he looks "maxed out" ... "looks small and plays small".  The Scout that Nawrocki employs states he is a "safety" and his value lies in the 2nd Round. Brugler stated that he gets easily engulfed by blocking linemen in running plays.  What is your reply to those reports?

The Giants were one of the worst teams last year defending the run. So why would they bring in a guy who may be an excellent pass protector but gets washed out of running plays far too often?  Although many here have disagreed with me - the Giants have typically wanted their LBs to be run stoppers first and foremost.  So if they took Lee, that would represent a change in philosophy.  Wouldn't he be a better fit for a team who want their LBs to be speedy cover types first?

Perhaps the signing of Snacks indicates that they are changing their philosophy.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

Quote from: COGiantFan on April 13, 2016, 11:48:06 AM
Perhaps the signing of Snacks indicates that they are changing their philosophy.
I would love a change in philosophy and get some speedy backs. TEs have been having career games against us. Personally I'd take the fast light guy who plays 3 downs over a 2 down thumper right now

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

nflscouting

Hey folks, Dave-Te here. I am getting smashed by bad weather this week down in the SEC area. With a ton of power outages, hail storms & floods, I will be off-line until Monday-thanks

MightyGiants

Quote from: nflscouting on April 14, 2016, 10:24:20 PM
Hey folks, Dave-Te here. I am getting smashed by bad weather this week down in the SEC area. With a ton of power outages, hail storms & floods, I will be off-line until Monday-thanks
Stay safe Dave
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE