News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rules quiz

Started by LennG, April 07, 2016, 04:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

The new baseball season has started and I've begun my 47th year of umpiring. WOW. I still get a thrill out of starting a new season, being back on the field.

So, with a new season, comes a few rules questions and some knotty problems, I thought I would pass on.

One out, runners on 1st and third. Better hits a fly ball to deep center. Center fielder makes a circus catch and throws to first to double the runner off. The runner on third had tagged up and scored, but he left a bit early.
The 3rd out was made on the play at 1st base. Does the run count?

While the team was trotting off the field, the 1st baseman happened to step on 3rd base. Would the umpire call out the runner who left early?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I assume the first baseman had the ball in his hand when he stepped on third?

Anyway, I doubt that it matters.  I think the run counts.

LennG

Jim

I'll see if anyone else wants to chime in before I give the answer.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Jim

sorry it took me so long to respond.

The run does score as the play at 1st base (to double the runner off) is considered a timing play. Like if that out is recorded before the runner scored then the run would not count.

I mentioned the other part because we had a big discussion about this at a meeting we had. If the defensive team saw the runner from 3rd leave early and appealed even AFTER the 3rd out was made on the play at first, the umpires can recognize a so called 4th out and rule the runner out for leaving early and no would score.
The discussion we had was that one of our umpires said if the 1st baseman had even inadvertently stepped on 3rd, on his way off the field, the 3rd base umpire would call the runner out for leaving early. Many other disagreed, saying that the team has to announce to the umpire that they are appealing and what the appeal is. We did check and that is the correct ruling. A fielder isn't entitled to get an out just by innocently stepping on a base. he has to make the appeal the correct way.

Stay tuned for the next one.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Next question

Runner on 1st base and one out. With the batter up, and the pitcher in his wind up, the runner breaks for 2nd. The pitcher continues his delivery and the runner has second stolen before the ball even gets to home plate. The pitch then gets by the catcher and goes into the dugout.

What base is the runner entitled to?

Charlie Weiss

jimv

This seems too simple to me, so I'm probably wrong.  But, here goes anyway.  I don't think the runner is "entitled" to anything.  Since it was a pitch that got by the catcher, it's a PB or WP.  So, the runner can go as far as he can.

Sem

Once the ball goes in the dugout it's a dead ball. If the base runner is aleady on 2nd he gets awarded 3rd base. That's my guess.

jimv

OOPS!!  I didn't read that it went into the dugout.  That's what happens when you get old. ~X(

Isn't it TWO bases when it goes into the dugout?  Since the runner doesn't really have 2nd base til the play is over, I think he goes to 3rd base (two bases from 1st base).

LennG

The key is it is a PITCHED ball and the runner is entitled to ONE base if the ball goes into dead area. (you were correct Jim, if the ball stayed in live area). There is an old rule of thumb, one from the mound, two from the field, which makes this a bit simpler. The 'trick' to this question is where the runner was AT THE TIME OF THE PITCH. We use this question in our umpiring school final test because it is meant to try and fool people. The question is worded such that since the runner did NOT have second base before the ball was pitched, he is only entitled to one base, which would be second base.

Sorry the deception

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Our next puzzler is a bit easier.

Batter is a switch hitter
Pitcher is ambidextrous

Can the batter switch from one batters box to the other in his time at bat?

Can the pitcher switch from righty to lefty during a batters turn at bat?

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I would have to say YES to both questions.

LennG

And you would be 1/2 correct.

A batter CAN switch from one side of the plate to the other, provided the pitcher isn't on the rubber.

BUT the pitcher cannot switch from being a lefty to a righty during a batters term at bat. A pitcher can switch before the batter gets up, but once he takes his position for his time at bat the pitcher has to go with one arm. He can switch for each batter, but not once the batter gets in the box.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Next question

Runner on 1st base. Pitcher goes into his wind up from the set position. Just as he is about to deliver the pitcher, the batter calls time and steps out o0f the box. The pitcher sees the batter stepping out and stops his delivery mid step. The offensive manager wants a balk called as he didn't deliver the pitch. Would he be correct?

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Correct me if I'm wrong, Lenny.  But, isn't a called time out only official when the umpire grants it?  IF that is the case, then there would be no time out when the batter steps out of the box.  Given that, had the pitcher completed his pitch, a strike or call would've been called by the ump.  So, also given that, he did perform a balk.

LennG

You are right Jim, except for the balk part. In layman's terms, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Since the batter stepped out of the box illegally and caused the pitcher to balk, the balk is ignored.
There are many managers-on the HS and sandlot levels that simply do not know this rule and I have seen them want to protest ma game because they insist that a balk is  a balk and should be called. But it does say specifically in the rule book that an infraction like this play is NOT a balk, and I have shown that to several coaches,l and they learned something that day.

Charlie Weiss