News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rules quiz

Started by LennG, April 07, 2016, 04:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Not a question today but a very interesting situation happened in today's game.

Runners on 1st and 3rd, 1 out, batter hits a long fly to left. The catch is made and the runner from 3rd, tagged up and scored. They thought the runner had left early and want to appeal that runner. Since time was called, the pitcher had to go back on the rubber to put the ball in play. Once the plate umpire said play, the runner from 1st broke for 2nd. The pitcher turned and threw to 2nd to retire the runner, but now, since he made a play, they cannot appeal that runner from 3rd. That team won 4-3. The coach stole a run and a win.

BTW, the plate umpire told me he did leave early and would have called him out on appeal, had they made the appeal.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Let's get back to a few more questions

Men on 1st and 2nd. Batter hits a ground ball to second. The runner bumps into the 2nd baseman, who is clearly in the base path, while he is trying to field the ball. The ball goes into the outfield and all are safe. Whats the call??
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

I'm always wrong but I'll give it yet another try (a guess actually)......runner going to second is called out for interfering with a possible double play. Batter called out as well. Runner going from second to third is sent back to second.

LennG

EXCELLENT Steve, right on all counts.

The fielder ALWAYS has the right to make a play, no matter if he is in the baseline or not. It is the responsibility of the runner to avoid him. If contact is made while the fielder is trying to make a play, the runner is ALWAYS out. Since it was a possible DP, the umpire has the option to call the batter/runner also out, but, as I said, that is strictly an umpire decision. Depending on the level, I would make that DP call at most levels except very young kids, where a DP is something unusual.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Thanks Lenn. I was reasonably certain about the "double-play," but less sure about sending the other runner back to second.

LennG

I did forget to mention the other runner. Yes, he has to go back as the offensive team cannot gain an advantage when they are called for an interference..

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Our next question actually happened to me a couple of years ago.

Runner on 3rd with 1 out. Batter hits a fly ball to center. Runner thinking there are 2 outs runs on the hit and crosses home. His team mates are yelling at him to go back as there is only 1 out. The center fielder drops the ball but the runner has returned to 3rd.            Confusing ==yes.
Question is, does the run count, or is it nullified by the runner going back to 3rd.

As I said, I had this happen in a game and really had to look it up in the rule book for a definite answer.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Here I go again - shooting off the hip.

I assume the outfielder dropped the ball as he was trying to catch it.  If that's the case, then the run scores.  If he drops the ball after catching it, then a throw by him to 3rd base would put the runner out.  However, if the throw to 3rd doesn't beat the runner back, then the runner is safe with no run scored.  But, the runner has to touch home plate on his way back.

LennG

Jim

You are basically correct. The idea of the question was if the runner is allowed to return to 3rd AFTER he has touched home plate and the answer is NO. Once he scores, he cannot go back to 3rd under any circumstances. So if his team yelled for him to go back, and he did, it wouldn't mean anything and his team could be called for interference if it did involve another play.
Even if he left early on a tag up, and scored, and, say when the ball was thrown in, it was misplayed and went into the stands. The runner still could not go back to 3rd to avoid the appeal. If the defense appealed he left early he would be out and there would be nothing he can do to avoid it.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Our next question

Runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out. batter hit's an infield fly and the umpire calls Infield Fly, the batter is out. But the SS, while trying to catch the ball, bumps into the runner who is standing on 2nd base. The runner does all he could to avoid the field while remaining on his base. The ball drops and the runners try to advance. The SS picks up the ball and while trying to throw the runner out at 3rd, throw it into the dugout.

What action do the umpires take on this?

Charlie Weiss

LennG

since no one took a shot at thins answer, let me explain.

The runner is entitled to his base and as long as he doesn't intentionally interfere he is allowed to remain where he is with no penalty. Even though the fielder has a right to field a ball, the runner did try to avoid him and still stay on his base, so there is NO interference call. The batter is out on the infield fly call. If the ball isn't caught, the runners advance at their own risk and anything that happens after the ball not being caught is regulation. Since the ball was thrown into dead territory each runner is allowed to advance 2 bases. So the man on second scores and the other runner is placed on 3rd base.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

We'll try a few more to see if anyone is still interested

One out, man on first-- 3-2 count on the batter. On the pitch, the runner breaks for second. The batter swings, fouls the ball off the catchers chest protector, up in the air and he catches it before it hits the ground.
second baseman tells the runner that it was a foul ball, runner starts to return to first so the catcher throws the ball to first and they tag the runner out.

What's the call?

Charlie Weiss

LennG

A batter hits a dink towards the mound. He drops his bat in fair territory in front of the plate. The ball hits the ground in front of the mound and rolls back towards home and is stopped by the bat in fair territory. There is no doubt that the ball would have rollled foul if not for the bat being where it was.  Is the ball in play?

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: LennG on April 26, 2016, 05:13:53 PM
We'll try a few more to see if anyone is still interested

One out, man on first-- 3-2 count on the batter. On the pitch, the runner breaks for second. The batter swings, fouls the ball off the catchers chest protector, up in the air and he catches it before it hits the ground.
second baseman tells the runner that it was a foul ball, runner starts to return to first so the catcher throws the ball to first and they tag the runner out.

What's the call?

Any ball that hit's off the catchers equipment and then is caught in air is a FOUL ball. The only way the batter can be out or the ball stays in play is for the ball to hit the catcher's mitt first. If this happens and then goes up in the air and is caught, it is a live ball and in play. In the example I gave, the runner is not out and has to go back to 1st, as with any foul ball.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: LennG on April 27, 2016, 09:56:49 PM
A batter hits a dink towards the mound. He drops his bat in fair territory in front of the plate. The ball hits the ground in front of the mound and rolls back towards home and is stopped by the bat in fair territory. There is no doubt that the ball would have rolled foul if not for the bat being where it was.  Is the ball in play?

It is a live ball and in play. The rule of thumb most all umpires rule plays like this by--it the ball hits the bat which may be lying in fair territory, the ball is live and in play. If the bat hits the ball, then it is dead and the batter would be out for interference.

Again, to make it simple, if a ball hits a bat on the ground, it is OK
if the bat hits a ball (in play) then it is an out.

Charlie Weiss