Author Topic: NGT- NY RANGERS 2016-2017 SEASON  (Read 12171 times)

Section 101 Steve

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 73
    • View Profile
NGT- NY RANGERS 2016-2017 SEASON
« on: June 26, 2016, 09:19:05 PM »
A draft analysis of our newly drafted rangers from a website I found

Joey Bones' Draft Analysis - "Fallen Talent"
Fallen talent was the trend for NYR at the draft in Buffalo. Gordie Clark and Co. have be known in recent years to find gems that tend to drop during the draft. This year, the Rangers indulged into exactly the same strategy and snagged two fallen 1st round talents in the later rounds. Without further ado, here's my analysis of the Rangers 2016 draft class....

D: Sean Day (3rd Round: 81st Overall/CAN) - Day is one magnificent skater. One of the few players elected with the "exceptional status" tag in Canadian Juniors, Day's speed on the backend is amazing to watch, along with a 5-star hockey IQ and offensive sense. Makes slick and crisp passes to his forwards while also possessing a lethal wrist shot from the point. He isn't shy from physical play and will lay the body. The issue with him is drive and off-ice problems. Seems at times to lazily make a play, which would ultimately bite his team in the butt. Negative weight gain also impacted his play and ultimately had him drop into Broadway Blue's lap. According to his interview, those "problems" are over and he is focused on becoming the "exceptional" player he was originally considered. If put together, the Rangers got a steal here. Either way you split it, Day will be an NHL player at some point.

Grade: B+
Upside: Top Pair, Elite Defender
Downside: Bottom 6 Defender
NHL Comparable: Duncan Keith

D: Tarmo Reunanen (4th Round: 98th Overall/FIN) - An offensive minded defender who has world class hockey IQ, puck skills and offensive prowess. Is very good at the transition game, as well, as he isn't a liability on defense and won't shy away from physical play (although needing to bulk up some). Has a very steady hand and mind while playing. Nine times out of ten, he will make the smart play over a stupid one. Had an injury riddled season this year with limited viewings by many, which ultimately stunted his original 1st round bid. It is no secret that when healthy, Reunanen is a solid defending product and prospect.

Grade: B+
Upside: Top 4, Two-Way Defender
Downside: Plug-In PP QB/Depth
NHL Comparable: Jared Spurgeon

LW/RW: Tim Gettinger (5th Round: 141st Overall/USA) - A big winger listing around 6'5"/200lbs., Gettinger is a project pick. Has great hands and power to get to the dirty areas of the net and score. Is a pure goal scorer and has a blistering wrister, snapper and slapper. Won't hesitate to drop the gloves, but very rarely does. Hockey IQ isn't that great and speed isn't so much a factor, however, he has an average speed for a big guy. Won't drive the physical play, but won't shy away from a hit, either. Could be a very intriguing power forward in the NHL, but needs the time to grow into his body.

Grade: C+
Upside: Top 9 Power Forward
Downside: Bust
NHL Comparable: Taylor Pyatt

C: Gabriel Fontaine (6th Round: 171st Overall/CAN) - Overage centerman who carried a lot of the workload for the QMJHL's Rouyn-Noranda Huskies this year. A pure center, Fontaine has the talent for a complete game in the NHL. Good two-way player, can pot goals, play make and can be reliable for predominate PK duties. Drives to the net hard and is always in front chipping in dirty goals. He is a pest to play against and is very physical. Will come at you like a freight train and lay huge, yet clean, blows to the opposition. When the play is over, he sure will find an opponent to chirp to. Has fan favorite potential and could be a reliable grinder for a cup winning team. Could work on skating, as it's above average.

Grade: B
Upside: Top 9, Shut Down Center
Downside: 4th Line Grinder/Depth
NHL Comparable: Nate Thompson

G: Tyler Wall (6th Round: 174th Overall/CAN) - The prospect I know the least about, is added to the ever so voluptuous goaltending cupboard for the Rangers. Supposedly plays deep in his net and had good stats to go along with an outstanding season for him. UMass-Lowell commit in the NHL expansion season, will probably play in the BCHL or USHL next season. Benny gets his annual project.

Grade: N/A
Upside: N/A
Downside: N/A
NHL Comparable: N/A

* Would rather be fair and not give speculative info on a prospect I've never seen.

LW/RW: Ty Ronning (7th Round: 201st Overall/CAN) - Although undersized at 5'8", he surely doesn't play like it. Has the overall skill to make the players around him better. Is shifty and won't be scuffed out of a play. Compete level is high and strive for the game is high. Another highly rated prospect that fell due to his size and roster spot on the failing Vancouver Giants organization. Knows his role and will thrive at it. This kid wasn't drafted so much of NHL bloodlines, but because he can flat out play.

Grade: B
Upside: Top 6 Skilled Winger
Downside: Depth
NHL Comparable: Tyler Johnson

Overall Grade: B

The scouting staff has once again found some good prospects fallen into the later rounds, making the trades of sending out 1st and 2nd round picks easier to swallow. They also added some puck-moving defenders and filled in some needs at forward. While the Rangers did find some nice, new, shiny toys, they are still without any true and safe pick to become a game changer for the club in the near future. Although Sean Day has that potential, it remains to be seen for the time being. The Rangers would be better off not trading their top picks if they would ultimately like to get younger and faster in a quick manner.

It was a fun draft year NYR fans, hope this info could help get some sort of idea of the newcomers the Rangers have to offer. Here's to the 2016 class.... and say hello to the 2017 draft!!!

Not bad considering where we were drafting from again. Will be an interesting week leading up to the July 1st free agency frenzy and hoping Gorton makes a few moves to start the ranger retool that is necessary going forward. Hopefully he can find a way to dump girardi or staal on someone
sm

Section 101 Steve

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
Re: NGT- NY RANGERS 2016-2017 SEASON
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:35:02 PM »
The Rangers open prospect development camp tomorrow through Friday with the following players:

Forward: Nick Betz, Pavel Buchnevich, Dmitri Buinitsky, Adam Chapie, Reid Duke, Steven Fogarty, Gabriel Fontaine, Tim Gettinger, Ryan Gropp, Michael Joly, Robin Kovacs, Brad Morrison, Boo Nieves, Matthew Plesa, Nicholas Plesa, Peter Plesa, Ty Ronning, CJ Smith, Malte Stromwall, Adam Tambellini, Zackary Zborosky.

Defense: Calle Andersson, Sean Day, Troy Donnay, Ryan Graves, Turner Ottenbreit, Rylan Yaremko, Sergey Zborovskiy

Goalie: Brandon Halverson, Mackenzie Skapski, Tyler Wall
sm

Giant Obsession

• BBH Historian
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 157
  • Almost................
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:15:23 AM »
Steve...great stuff....thanks for scratching my off season itch.

I can not believe Florida signed Yandle for 7 years at 6.3 million per year.   Maybe Nash isn't as overpaid as I thought.

Somehow/someway we have to at the very least get Girardi off our roster.  I am starting to think Jaime's idea of a one way trip to the minors may be our only option without giving away more draft picks or youngsters to entice someone else to take him.

And once again minimum wage goalies are huge in the Finals.
Mike

Great moments are born from Great opportunities.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Section 101 Steve

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »
Steve...great stuff....thanks for scratching my off season itch.

I can not believe Florida signed Yandle for 7 years at 6.3 million per year.   Maybe Nash isn't as overpaid as I thought.

Somehow/someway we have to at the very least get Girardi off our roster.  I am starting to think Jaime's idea of a one way trip to the minors may be our only option without giving away more draft picks or youngsters to entice someone else to take him.

And once again minimum wage goalies are huge in the Finals.

Mike, Girardi has an NMC contract which means he can't be sent to the minors.  ~X( ~X(. And Nash is as overpaid as you thought. LOL
sm

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 176
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 08:41:48 PM »
Steve, thanks much for kicking off the season. Good scouting job there. And you are spot on (again). Girardi does have a NMC for the next two years  ~X(
The following three years, he has a partial no-trade Clause that does allow a trade to 15 Teams. I do recall vaguely, an option that a team can bury salary on a particular player every couple of years. I don't remember the specifics, but I do recall it being a possibility for us with Girardi, being up against the cap, as we are.
Some additional Draft notes;
Sean Day - reportedly, the pressure of playing in the Juniors at the age of 15 got to him. High expectations along with playing for a lousy team just kept him off his game. Day is considered to be as good a skater there is in this draft, including the top four picks. Day is the only Prospect to be given  the "exceptional player" waiver, to not be drafted in the first round. Supposedly, the off-ice problems ( similar to Gropp from last year) that caused Day to drop to the third round are behind him (?). We shall see?
Taro Reunanen - solid puck-moving defenseman. Superb Junior numbers. Did have an injury concern. Smallish stature, but deceivingly physical. Rep for throwing big, clean, hits.
Tim Gettinger - true goal scorer. Oversized, lanky forward with good hands and surprising feet. Good on PP and PK. Will drop the gloves if need be. This Prospect has the prototypical build and skill set for a Power Forward Prospect.
Gabriel Fontaine - what I so was not promising, and I question the disparity from  couple other reports.
Tyler Wall - reportedly was the best player available at this juncture. Reportedly our superb Goalie Coach Benoit Allaire made the call here. I won't argue with him...
Ty Running - smallish Forward with a superb shot. 77 goals in 72 PCBHL games. Lost a year due to a shoulder injury. Has scored at every level he has played at. Considered a "steal". Overall, I think we had a good Draft.
 Stay tuned Ranger fans...

G.O., the Panthers had a gun to their head with Yandle. If they didn't cough up that ridiculous contract, Yandle would simply have gone into free agency, and somebody would have eventually written the same contract, or even more? The 6.3 mil per is not outrageous. But giving a 30 year old Player a seven-year contract is just plain Ludacris. Kinda reminds me of a certain former GM we had that basically sunk our ship, then skidaddled upstairs. ~X(

EDjohnst1981

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »
The no income tax in Florida makes that 6.3 look better.

I really liked Yandle but not at that length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoelessjoe

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 46
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:03:48 PM »
The Rangers open prospect development camp tomorrow through Friday with the following players:

Forward: Nick Betz, Pavel Buchnevich, Dmitri Buinitsky, Adam Chapie, Reid Duke, Steven Fogarty, Gabriel Fontaine, Tim Gettinger, Ryan Gropp, Michael Joly, Robin Kovacs, Brad Morrison, Boo Nieves, Matthew Plesa, Nicholas Plesa, Peter Plesa, Ty Ronning, CJ Smith, Malte Stromwall, Adam Tambellini, Zackary Zborosky.

Defense: Calle Andersson, Sean Day, Troy Donnay, Ryan Graves, Turner Ottenbreit, Rylan Yaremko, Sergey Zborovskiy

Goalie: Brandon Halverson, Mackenzie Skapski, Tyler Wall

Matthew Plesa, Nicholas Plesa, and Peter Plesa.  Are these guys related?

Section 101 Steve

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 09:41:14 PM »
Matthew Plesa, Nicholas Plesa, and Peter Plesa.  Are these guys related?

Yes. They are three brothers
sm

EDjohnst1981

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 04:11:17 AM »
What do you guys think of the Holden, the D signed from Colorado? Is he a replacement for someone or just further depth to play ahead of DM?

I've read that the Rangers have reached out to Matt Martin (no thanks) and Michael Grabnor (hmmm).

I know a lot of you guys are anti-AV, I'm not in the camp yet but this year is a big year for him. Another season like last year and he's going to be under a lot of pressure. The excellent start masked a number of warts until they were exposed in the post-season.

I have high hopes for Pavel B - my Twitter feed is awash with optimism. I thought he was a goal scorer but he views himself as a playmaker; that could prove problematic down the row as Zucccccc is effectively the same but on a higher line. We need some consistent scoring.

Thanks for starting the thread, Steve. It's good to talk NYR again. 

One final thing - has Kreider reached his ceiling yet? If so, how much is he worth?

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 09:37:04 AM »
Ed, read Krider would fetch aprox. 4.6 Mil per on open market. Two twenty goal seasons, age & physical prowess fuels some optomism that 30 goals is attainable.
Methinks; Krider has hit his ceiling. Watching Krider for two years making the same mistakes. Inconsistent scoring coupled with his poor shooting accuracy, & what I perceive as a low Hockey IQ will likely have him top out at 25 seasonal goals.   :-??
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:41:48 AM by Jaime »

Section 101 Steve

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 01:26:18 PM »
In chat with the Rangers website, Gordie Clark spoke about Rangers third round pick Sean Day and said (NYR):

He is a big guy who can "skate forever"
He had a great year as a 15 year old, had a family setback in his second season that sent his game for a bit of a spin.
He got too heavy at one point but came to the combine at 220.
"He's an animal, he's just so big, his shoulders, his lats, his thighs, he's just a big man"
He is the closest thing to a "Paul Coffey" skater that he has seen in a while.
The Rangers got to know Day well and spoke with him, his coaches, his skill coaches and had their strength coach Reg Grant call up his trainer.
"Sean has actually become an athlete, he was always a talented guy, just a big talented guy that could skate. But he's actually becoming an athlete now and a very proud one."
The Rangers did a lot of homework and research and feel that he has the mental side of his game in order now.
The Rangers went through the same kind of process of getting to know and learning Day that they did when they selected Anthony Duclair.
He can play both the right and left side and "skating wise, when he plays, all I told Glen and Jeff and Schoeny is that Sean is the closest I've seen to a Paul Coffey skater in my time." (MSG)
Day has dominated with his skating and size since he was 11 and has had to deal with players growing up around him. (MSG)
He is now working in a "high end" training program and with skill coaches.
His second half of the season last year was "oustanding." (MSG)

Jaime, Don't give up on my Kreids. He's still a baby.
sm

Suburbanites II

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:32:08 PM »
If I'm the Rangers I'm looking to move both Kreider and Hayes. Those two guys clearly prioritized the nightclubs in Tribeca over improving their game. Haven't we seen this move before? Don Murdoch, Darren Turcotte and I hate say it but Ron Duguay to name a few. You know the guys who never came close to reaching their talent level at least while  playing for the Rangers, but sure got the most out of the bright lights of the city. Players who spent more time on page 6 then the sports pages of the paper. Let's face it some guys just can't handle NYC, you wouldn't think that would be the case with Kreider and Hayes who are from Boston which isn't exactly Red Deer Alberta but it sure seems that way. Cut your losses now why you can still get something for them.

files58

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »
Yesterday the Devils stole Taylor Hall from the Oilers for Adam Larsson. He was a player I had hoped the Rangers could acquire. He can score and plays a rough style game. I/M/O the Devils did not give up much for what for them will be a top three forward. If it was the Rangers they would have had to pay a premium in players/picks. I find that to be infuriating.

EDjohnst1981

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 12:28:20 PM »
That was a ridiculous steal by the Devils.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 01:05:56 PM »
Subban for Shaw? Still can't noodle out how the Habs make that trade? There's got to be something going on behind the scenes that motivates the Habs to jettison Subban? :-??