Author Topic: NGT- NY RANGERS 2016-2017 SEASON  (Read 12191 times)

coggs

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 79
    • View Profile
Re: NGT- NY RANGERS 2016-2017 SEASON
« Reply #405 on: March 19, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »
Really pissing me off with their play at home.  Not just the losses, but to whom they have lost. With a road record of 26-9-0, you should not be thinking they are better off with the 1st wild card then being top-3 in your division.  Home losses to Detroit, Florida twice, Vancouver, shutout by Ottawa and Philadelphia, Toronto, D*ll*s, Tampa, and Buffalo.  I get they are going to lose a few of those, but can't lose 10 games at home to teams this bad.

Messiah717

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 19, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »
Really pissing me off with their play at home.  Not just the losses, but to whom they have lost. With a road record of 26-9-0, you should not be thinking they are better off with the 1st wild card then being top-3 in your division.  Home losses to Detroit, Florida twice, Vancouver, shutout by Ottawa and Philadelphia, Toronto, D*ll*s, Tampa, and Buffalo.  I get they are going to lose a few of those, but can't lose 10 games at home to teams this bad.

With how the NHL sets up the playoffs they're without a doubt better in the 1st wildcard spot.  I'd rather play in the Atlantic bracket then get one of the top three Met teams in the first and then possibly second round.

files58

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2017, 11:34:29 PM »
If the Rangers remain the 1st wildcard(it certainly does look that way) they would be seeded in the Atlantic Division through rounds 1 and 2(if they win rd.1). If the Rangers beat Montreal, they play the winner of Ottawa-Boston. Getting to the conference final would mean 2 out of 3 of Wash., Pitts, and Columbus would be knocked out provided the 2nd wild card doesn't upset. Certainly on paper an easier road.

Zombo

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 20, 2017, 07:41:38 AM »
I have been laying low on 2017 NYR prospects here...although I read the posts and a lot
of us go way back here...

I can't get a feel for this team...they can make the run of a couple of years ago or lose
in 1st....and neither would shock me..the poor play at home is just odd...

I don't chase 'easier' paths but since it looks set will take it...all I know is Price will
be ultra tough and the NYR will need a full squad to move on...health becomes huge this
time of year so fingers crossed there..

Hoping for some time in the tourney...lately I kinda fade after my team out and seeing any
of Wask/Pitt/CBJ celebrating will make me want to puke...especially Pitt...again...so hope I
have a lot of hockey left this year...

files58

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2017, 02:26:45 PM »
I have a suspicion that the Rangers are staying just sharp enough for the playoffs. For me it's always been about forecheck pressure. I noticed starting a couple of weeks ago that they have stepped up that aspect of their game. As if they are practicing it and implementing some. A few things concern me. Extended time in their own end, little mistakes with the puck that has led to chances against, they miss the net too often, gotta cash in with opportunities, Stepan not scoring, he is getting chances though.

EDjohnst1981

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 23, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »
This home skid is becoming a little annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViewFromSection129

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 23, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
  So, is the "energy" from Tanner Glass still helping win games?   /sarcasm/

Unless Buchnevich is hurt, that he is sitting for that slug tells you everything you need to know.  AV just can't help playing with his favorite toys (Glass, Girardi).

Rangers are much better off losing these games and ending up fourth, IF AV gets his head out of his ass and sends Glass back to the AHL and puts Girardi on the third pairing.  Otherwise, I am not sure anything will matter.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 176
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 23, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »
Poor coaching and poor leadership is allowing this team to sag on a regular basis.
I don't buy into this it's better for us to finish in this spot or or that spot. You don't know how things are going to finish or what kind of injuries though be labored with? You want to be playing strong hockey going into the Playoffs. And you want to be making sound coaching decisions, not like playing Glass instead of Bunchvich, or playing Girardi on the first pair D.

files58

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 23, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Glass played last night for his physicality. It's always nasty against the islanders. The isles scored two knock hockey goals in the third while the Rangers missed a couple of open nets and a broken stick on a tee shot from the slot. I would like to see the isles be tied in points for the second wildcard but lose out on a tie breaker. I hate them as much as the Cowterds. The Rangers miss the net too much, and are just not sharp enough moving the puck, most notably out of their end.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 26, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »
As Good As It Gets last night. As mentioned, this team is impossible to predict . Raanta was the difference. He pitches a shutout and stops three or four in tight sure goal opportunities. Mention was made early how the kings were going out of their way to run Zuccarello. The Norwegian had the last laugh as he assisted on two of our goals. We win in spite of Grabner missing two clear breakaways and a great set up on the doorstep. Brady Skeih putting on a skating Clinic. He's our number one defenseman these days. Bunchvich takes a scary high stick that caught the corner of his face next to his eye. While Bunch is standing there stunned from the high stick, he gets drilled from behind and is sent flying into the boards head first which could have been another potential injury. The high stick got a double minor, which we scored on almost immediately. But I gotta tell yah, that's little consolation for what happened to this Rook. I noticed before the game that Bunchy (as AV calls him) wears a minimal visor, and the way his helmet tilts back his eyes are not protected. Perhaps he'll rethink that in the near future?
We hung tough with a heavy skilled team desperate for a win At home. :goteam:

EDjohnst1981

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 29, 2017, 03:55:19 PM »
Hank was woeful last night. Hope it's just the rust than him over thinking the Raanta threat on the bench.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 29, 2017, 11:17:45 PM »
I don't think there's enough time leftfor Hank to work out whatever it is he's dealing with? And it just may be this is as good as he's going to get? Right now, Raanta is the better goalie. It'll be real interesting to see if things don't change,  if AV puts Hank in net in the Playoffs anyway?
I think he does. Redfaced

Messiah717

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 29, 2017, 11:34:14 PM »
This is the typical major problem with fans of the New York Rangers.  Yeah forget everything Hank has done.  Lets just toss him in the trash and yeah Raanta is going to lead the Rangers to the promise land.  The man has been the franchise and is getting back from injury.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because if the Rangers are going to do anything they need him.  There's five games left and two weeks until the playoffs.  They have their spot locked up so the idea that there's no time is completely ridiculous.  Being this is a Giants board I'll put it this way.  The same people who want to treat Hank this way are the same ones who will learn very quickly once Eli is done that's it's very difficult to replace a franchise player. 

EDjohnst1981

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2017, 03:28:11 AM »
This is the typical major problem with fans of the New York Rangers.  Yeah forget everything Hank has done.  Lets just toss him in the trash and yeah Raanta is going to lead the Rangers to the promise land.  The man has been the franchise and is getting back from injury.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt because if the Rangers are going to do anything they need him.  There's five games left and two weeks until the playoffs.  They have their spot locked up so the idea that there's no time is completely ridiculous.  Being this is a Giants board I'll put it this way.  The same people who want to treat Hank this way are the same ones who will learn very quickly once Eli is done that's it's very difficult to replace a franchise player.

The flip side to that is people can say Step sucks, Nasher sucks, McD has a rough night and nobody bats an eyelid.

However, it seems Hank cannot be singled out for lacklustre play because he's been outstanding for 10 years. However, none of those years are 2017 in which he's been very poor. It's made difficult by the contract he has and rightly or wrongly people view him through that lens - arguably the FO gave him the deal but did he need that 1m more than any other goalie at the time? Much like Nash's contract, his play is viewed through the contract.

Either way, he's been poor this season andRaanta hasn't and hence why this conversation exists. I actually agree with you Mess, the NYR go as far as Hank goes.

On the last two efforts, they'll be bounced inside 5. Everyone on this board hopes Hank becomes all world again, a Hank operating at 90% will steal you a series. But right now, he's not at that level. As you say, there's two weeks to whip himself into shape.

Messiah717

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 30, 2017, 09:23:32 AM »
The flip side to that is people can say Step sucks, Nasher sucks, McD has a rough night and nobody bats an eyelid.

However, it seems Hank cannot be singled out for lacklustre play because he's been outstanding for 10 years. However, none of those years are 2017 in which he's been very poor. It's made difficult by the contract he has and rightly or wrongly people view him through that lens - arguably the FO gave him the deal but did he need that 1m more than any other goalie at the time? Much like Nash's contract, his play is viewed through the contract.

Either way, he's been poor this season andRaanta hasn't and hence why this conversation exists. I actually agree with you Mess, the NYR go as far as Hank goes.

On the last two efforts, they'll be bounced inside 5. Everyone on this board hopes Hank becomes all world again, a Hank operating at 90% will steal you a series. But right now, he's not at that level. As you say, there's two weeks to whip himself into shape.

It's more of the idea of people all of a sudden calling for Raanta to start in the playoffs.  I find it absurd as if it would somehow be a Matt Murry Penguins situation from last year.  Yes, Raanta had a shutout in his last start but prior to that he had allowed three or more goals in five of his previous seven starts.  You can take it back further and it's three or more in ten of his previous 16 starts.  He's a solid backup and has done well here but the fantasy that's he's all world and ready to take a team on his back for the playoffs is laughable.