News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rules quiz

Started by LennG, April 07, 2016, 04:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Seems there is little interest right now, so I'll hold up on further questions. If anyone wants some more, just say the word and I'll be more then happy to oblige.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Happened last night

Runner on 2nd, outs mean nothing, pitch to batter is in the dirt and gets away from the catcher,  runner tries to advance to 3rd. batter not knowing where the ball is tries to move out of the way of the catcher and accidentally kicks the ball into the dugout.

Anyone with a call here?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

A lesson for future umpires and maybe others also.

Last night I ahd a Lillte Leabue game with one of our rookie umpires. I was the base umpire.

Situation, 2nd and 3rd, 2 out, batter hits a sharp 1 hp to the shortstop, he makes a great play sees the runner from 2nd going by and tries to tag him. Yhe runner evades the tag, but I felt he ran out of his baseline and called him out. Now the coach comes out to ask if the run had scored (the runner from 3rd was running home). I told him it was a timing play, if the runner crossed the plate before the man was called out, he would score. We appealed to the plate umpire, who is suppose to be watching this, but he didn't see it. (rookie, remember). Common sense told me that it would be near impossible for the guy to have made it home before I immediately called the runner out, so we didn't score the run.

It is an unusually situation as there is usually a put out and then see if the runner scores instead of a verbal out.

Anyway, I believe we got the call correct, even if the coach didn't see it that way.

The joys of working with rookies.

Charlie Weiss

babywhales

Quote from: LennG on August 16, 2016, 06:11:21 PM
Happened last night

Runner on 2nd, outs mean nothing, pitch to batter is in the dirt and gets away from the catcher,  runner tries to advance to 3rd. batter not knowing where the ball is tries to move out of the way of the catcher and accidentally kicks the ball into the dugout.

Anyone with a call here?

Ball on ground is still a pitch as it was not caught by catcher. 

kick was unintentional. 

Any pitch ball goes out of play runner gets 1 base and batter is up for next pitch in the count.   
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

LennG

That is what I originally thought. I was wrong as well.

It is interference by the batter, even though it was unintentional. He prevented the catcher from making a play and there has to be a penalty.

Batter is out and runner goes back.

As I said, fooled me too.

Charlie Weiss

coggs

Quote from: LennG on September 09, 2016, 08:34:24 PM
That is what I originally thought. I was wrong as well.

It is interference by the batter, even though it was unintentional. He prevented the catcher from making a play and there has to be a penalty.

Batter is out and runner goes back.

As I said, fooled me too.
Late to the party on this.  As I read, I figured it had to be interference.  However, to me, this one that is hard to judge without seeing the play. Especially in LL or even HS, where you often have very tight backstops and wild pitches/passed balls can really bounce around.  Had the ball stopped moving, did the catcher have any chance to get to the ball and make a play, how far was the ball from the batter's box?  I likely would have been wrong, but all these would come into play in my thinking if I had to make the call.

coggs

Quote from: LennG on September 09, 2016, 11:12:29 AM
A lesson for future umpires and maybe others also.

Last night I ahd a Lillte Leabue game with one of our rookie umpires. I was the base umpire.

Situation, 2nd and 3rd, 2 out, batter hits a sharp 1 hp to the shortstop, he makes a great play sees the runner from 2nd going by and tries to tag him. Yhe runner evades the tag, but I felt he ran out of his baseline and called him out. Now the coach comes out to ask if the run had scored (the runner from 3rd was running home). I told him it was a timing play, if the runner crossed the plate before the man was called out, he would score. We appealed to the plate umpire, who is suppose to be watching this, but he didn't see it. (rookie, remember). Common sense told me that it would be near impossible for the guy to have made it home before I immediately called the runner out, so we didn't score the run.

It is an unusually situation as there is usually a put out and then see if the runner scores instead of a verbal out.

Anyway, I believe we got the call correct, even if the coach didn't see it that way.

The joys of working with rookies.

I had a similar play, but it wasn't with a rookie.  Len, you might have known him, as he has since passed, but worked for a few different outfits in LI and Queens during his time.

FABL, College Wood Bat League.  Bases loaded,  2 outs.  I am behind the plate, 2 man mechanics, partner was in C Position.  Routing ground ball to the SS, who fields it very close to baseline.  As he grabs ball, sees runner going to 3rd so sticks his arm out to make the tag.  Runner is in front of the fielder, so from behind the plate, I can't actually "see" the tag.  Now, here's the problem.  My partner, anticipating the throw to first, turned toward first before the tag was attempted.  Now what?  I had to make the call, and I called him out.  The player was a XXXXX, had problems with him for 2 seasons, so of course he wasn't willing to accept it.  I tossed him and I think his coach actually kicked him off the team by the end of the season.