News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Mets getting attention across the Atlantic

Started by londonblue, October 02, 2016, 08:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

londonblue

I just thought I'd mention that the Mets achievement of making the play-offs with 'a team of injury replacements' has drawn a bit of attention this side of the pond with a lot of emphasis on the 'amazing coaching job' doe by Terry Collins. Given how many Mets fans love to hate him is this a situation where distance lends perspective or one when a little knowledge is a dangerous thing?
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Ed Vette

I haven't followed Baseball closely in many, many years but I suspect that if the Sainted Gil Hodges was the Manager in the Social Media Era there would be half the fans hating him too.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

blue, I'm a huge Mets fan.  But, I live 300 miles away from them in Maine.  So, I really can't speak about the "hate" against Collins.  All I know from afar is that a lot of guys whose names I don't even recognize have helped to bring them to a Wild Card Playoff spot.  Also, only two of their starting pitchers are still standing.  Given all of that, I think Terry Collins should definitely receive "Manager of the Year" honors.