Author Topic: HBO's- The Young Pope  (Read 579 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1115
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
HBO's- The Young Pope
« on: January 25, 2017, 08:54:08 AM »
I will start with a qualifier that some Catholics might find the series offensive.   For those who are not Catholic or are less easily offended I would highly recommend the show.  I watched the first episode more out of nothing out to watch with no expectations and not even intrigued by the story idea.   Yet halfway through the first episode, I was hooked.   The reasons why I was hooked:

1)  There is nothing like it on TV.  This is not another police procedural or a group facing zombies or a mysterious island or a medical/legal show or a superhero or sci-fi show.   It's about the Vatican and the upper echelon of the Church.

2)  The writing is outstanding and the characterizations complex and intriguing.

3)  The acting is of the highest quality

4)   The sets are spectacular and the cinematography brilliant

simply put, this mini-series sucks you and takes you on a great ride.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 492
    • View Profile
Re: HBO's- The Young Pope
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
I'll check it out. What channel?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 09:57:02 AM »
I'll check it out. What channel?

It's on HBO
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Jim143

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
Is it focusing on a specific Pope - or a made-up Pope?
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 01:40:50 PM »
Is it focusing on a specific Pope - or a made-up Pope?

It's a fictional story of a new very young (at least for a Pope) Pope.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 12:16:08 PM »
It's very good, Rich. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 05:07:42 PM »
There is a lot of symbolism, allegory, and internal struggle going on here. Condemning the congregation for what he is ashamed of as his lack of faith and how he is so broken as a rational person is what is making it so interesting. I gather that this is a one series show and not going to be continued after this season. Correct?   
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
There is a lot of symbolism, allegory, and internal struggle going on here. Condemning the congregation for what he is ashamed of as his lack of faith and how he is so broken as a rational person is what is making it so interesting. I gather that this is a one series show and not going to be continued after this season. Correct?

As far as I know it's a one off series

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »
I researched it and the second season is in the works. So far it looks like they only aired four episodes but on Wiki ten episodes aired. I think the series aired in Italy first ending in November.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »
I researched it and the second season is in the works. So far it looks like they only aired four episodes but on Wiki ten episodes aired. I think the series aired in Italy first ending in November.

Ed,

I didn't look into the series details too much because I am simply enjoying the ride, so to speak.   It truly is the most compelling series I haves seen since season one of House of Cards (Netflix).

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 01:21:18 PM »
Rich, seems like it may be that the impression the writers are giving about his parents are that it may have been a virgin birth or and they were instructed to bring the child to the orphanage to the Nun, Sister Mary who is a figurehead like the Virgin Mary to raise Lenny. Then the prayer orgasm scene while the barren woman, Esther is having sex with her husband looks like he is inseminating the woman through prayer and the Holy Spirit. This woman is possibly likened to Mary of Magdalene. Other Gospels other than the New Testament authors such as the book of Mary and Thomas refer to Mary as a leader of the movement and the Blessed One, who had a close relationship with Jesus. Then of course there is the Book of Esther so we don't know where all this is going yet but it's apparent Lenny is looking to cause huge upheaval in the church.       
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 07:01:20 PM »
You could be right Ed.   Of course it can also be the Pope is strongly by abandonment issues.   This show really does challenges one to think. 

One other thing Ed, brilliant hypothesis

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 07:26:04 PM by MightyGiants »

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »
Ed,

I am beginning to wonder if the Pope is trying to reform the church through his draconian actions and rulings.   Forcing the church to see the hypocrisy and perhaps forcing those in charge to reconsider some of their positions based on their own actions and behavior.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
HBO's- The Young Pope
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 07:27:04 PM »
I absolutely think he's doing that. He understands human nature too by going back to conservatism and making the church exclusive with no liberal compromise to the doctrines. Don't chase them, let them chase you. Better for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get to heaven. In other words, this is the path to righteousness and it's the only way. Much underhanded going on in the scenario they paint the inner workings to be.

Too bad just you and I are following this one because I think a few guys here could get into it. Linda saw the 4th episode and picked it up right away and now she's going to catch up. She doesn't think Alexis will like it but she's going to be a psychology major and I think she will.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »
I absolutely think he's doing that. He understands human nature too by going back to conservatism and making the church exclusive with no liberal compromise to the doctrines. Don't chase them, let them chase you. Better for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get to heaven. In other words, this is the path to righteousness and it's the only way. Much underhanded going on in the scenario they paint the inner workings to be.

Too bad just you and I are following this one because I think a few guys here could get into it. Linda saw the 4th episode and picked it up right away and now she's going to catch up. She doesn't think Alexis will like it but she's going to be a psychology major and I think she will.

Ed,

Consider the dream sequence that opened the show and how a progress agenda was received.   I am thinking it's possible that he is taking the church down the conservative agenda and forcing the priests to live by that same conservative agenda.   By doing so, he is hurting the church in followers, money, and power.  He is making the conservative position so unpalatable that he is opening the door to a progressive agenda that would be welcomed by all even the conservatives.    Now admittedly this is just a theory but I can't help but wonder.