News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mike Mayock's 2017 NFL Draft position rankings

Started by MightyGiants, February 14, 2017, 12:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cid in Dupont

Very interesting.  Some of us (myself included) have openly stated that Taco Charlton (Michigan) could/would be the Giants pick at # 23 in the 1st round.  He's not even on MM's list of the top 5 edge rushers or LBs.  Hmmm...very interesting indeed.

Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

Giant Obsession

Isn't Mike Mayock still chasing Mel Gray down the field at Giants Stadium.  He was always on the weekly highlight films because you so frequently saw the back of his jersey with his name on it.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

Cid,

I picked up on that as well.  Undoubtedly, we (league outsiders) will be getting a better gauge on value as the months go on and more information on players leaks from the league.

GO,

Harsh  ;)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

todge

Quote from: Cid in Dupont on February 14, 2017, 08:23:47 PM
Very interesting.  Some of us (myself included) have openly stated that Taco Charlton (Michigan) could/would be the Giants pick at # 23 in the 1st round.  He's not even on MM's list of the top 5 edge rushers or LBs.  Hmmm...very interesting indeed.

Cid

Anyone who drafts Charlton will be doing so on potential, not production.  I am wary of guys with his kind of measurables who have not dominated college games like their skillset says they should.  So I can see why Mayock does not have him on the list.

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on February 15, 2017, 12:25:43 PM
Anyone who drafts Charlton will be doing so on potential, not production.  I am wary of guys with his kind of measurables who have not dominated college games like their skillset says they should.  So I can see why Mayock does not have him on the list.

I think Ted's point applies to all players.  Every time you hear about how athletic, big or fast a player is you need to look at a player's production and see if all that talent actually translated on the football field.   Occasionally there is an explanation of weak college production, such as starting a position late like JPP.   Often the explanation of a weak program or being under-utilized tends to backfire.   Good examples of that were TE Adrian Robinson and WR Sinorice Moss
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on February 15, 2017, 12:25:43 PM

Ted,

I just saw this in the latest PFF mock draft

QuoteOver the last two years, Charlton has accumulated 14 sacks, 19 QB hits, and 62 hurries on about a season
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

todge

Those numbers are impressive.  This kid has ideal measurables and decent production. With all of that, why is he considered a late 1st Rounder when he should be a Top 10 pick?

I think we will learn more soon as to why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cid in Dupont

Todge, I think you're correct...we will learn more soon (hopefully).  FTR, some of the other pundits include him in their top 15 or 20 players in the draft.

From what I've read about him and his stats, I would love to see him in Giant blue next year.  I believe that he would be the 3rd DE on our team (assuming we resign JPP).

Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

londonblue

For the last 2 years I've poured over the safeties and cornerbacks. This year I barely glanced at them. Maybe next year I will be able to say the sam about OT and TE...come on Jerry, get it done!
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.