Author Topic: 3 veteran LT options became available today  (Read 705 times)

gregf

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 38
    • View Profile
Re: 3 veteran LT options became available today
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 08:47:04 PM »
what you say here is true, we absolutely must sign a veteran OLT because we simply cannot go through another season with Flowers at that position..

There is a very real possibility Flowers will be the starting LT. Not saying it's right. I'm hoping we can at least upgrade one of the tackle positions in FA or draft.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1012
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 07:56:59 AM »
So now reports are that Albert has not been cut--It seems that at least one team expressed interest in signing him.  How did the Dolphins find that out?

DD

Most likely they tried to get Albert to take a pay cut and he refused so the team said then he was cut.  Then some front office guy said "wait don't cut him!  Let's see if we can get someone to trade for him".   Now this move MIGHT yield a low round draft pick (not sure what sort of market there is for overpaid, 32 year old injury prone LTs) but it is sure to engendered ill will from Albert and hurt the Dolphins reputation among players and agents. 
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 09:42:30 AM »
We must absolutely sign someone who can be an effective starter who has a high likelihood of playing 16 games to integrate into the other 4 starters.  I completely disagree that we should sign someone because we are so desperate that we close our eyes to the veteran OLT's injury history.

We need to stay disciplined like the Patriots do and not be reactive like a dysfunctional team.

If the player is not there as a FA, then we look to the draft with a focus on locking down that position.

babywhales

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 131
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
The Giants O line mess can be rebuilt a variety of ways.

It starts with which FA agrees to sign. 

The FO needs to come out firing with a very specific approach toward going after 1 or 2 top talents at any of the Tackle /Guard positions. 
Once the first is signed it will dictate the approach toward the rest of the moves in FA and the draft especially as they pertain to O line. 

Flowers needs to compete for a job and any and all snaps he gets, nor more simply giving him a job.  The earlier in the offseason he realizes his ass is on the bubble the better off the line will be.  Hell if he were a back up next year I would be fine with that.

“The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished.”– G.B.S

jerseyguy

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 04:23:10 PM »
There is a very real possibility Flowers will be the starting LT. Not saying it's right. I'm hoping we can at least upgrade one of the tackle positions in FA or draft.
if that does happen and Flowers does stay at LT it will be another example of Reese being stubborn again...

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 211
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »
if that does happen and Flowers does stay at LT it will be another example of Reese being stubborn again...

I seriously doubt that Reese and Reese alone dictates who plays and where they play. Decisions such as that are made by committee in Giantland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaugestus

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 83
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 09:30:56 PM »
I've always felt that the Giants have coddled Flowers from the get go. It's obvious that tact has not worked. They have to bring in some real competition and if it means sitting his butt down, so be it. He needs a wakeup call. If there is anything that I know is more of what we've been seeing should not be allowed to continue.

jerseyguy

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »
it could very well be that Flowers is playing as well as he ever will and the team needs to look at it from that standpoint..