Author Topic: Are we giving John Jerry his proper due??  (Read 182 times)

Dumpster Dan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 170
    • View Profile
Are we giving John Jerry his proper due??
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:26:46 PM »
PFF scores are used by many on this board when we are talking free agents etc etc--some of us put more stock in them than some of us do--but in a real sense--its all we have to go by

With that in mind and as I go through these PFF scores I see that John Jerry stacks up pretty well

Are we biased against him because we see him differently than others do?

DD

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 586
    • View Profile
Re: Are we giving John Jerry his proper due??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 10:16:17 PM »
Yes, Dan. He's much better than he's given credit for. He should be one of the top FA guards in the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 308
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 12:21:54 AM »
Truth be told, the Giants (and virtually any team) can more-than-get-by with ONE offensive lineman who is not a very good run blocker.

This is especially true these days, when a quick-passing attack sometimes substitutes for the lack of an inside running game.

The problem for the Giants is that they have only one or two good run blockers.  The problem for John Jerry is that right guards are easier to replace than left or right tackles.

Bob

Mr. Matt

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 305
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:08:12 AM »
In my opinion, Jerry is better than the majority of fans give him credit for. He has gotten better since joining the team a couple years ago. He is a solid pass blocker, who at his best sets a nice pocket for Eli to step up into. After Pugh was injured, and with Richburg not playing particularly well, I actually thought Jerry was the Giants' best offensive lineman down the stretch.

This past season was Jerry's best season, because he has improved as a run blocker to the point where he is decent. He just doesn't seem have the aggression or explosion to be a consistently good run blocker, though.

What I wonder, and none of us can know, is if 2016 will be Jerry's career best. He is 30. I guess there is some chance that he will continue to improve, and have a late-career surge. But more likely is this is as good as he will get.

So I guess my answer to Dan's question is, yes, I think he's gotten short shrift from fans and media who just parrot the "right side of the line" cliché over and over, when since 2015, it's really been the tackle positions that have undermined the OL, while the middle of the line has been at least OK. However, I think they should definitely be looking to add talent at the guard position, though it is not the pressing need that tackle is.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 884
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »
Dan,

Jerry is an above average pass blocker and was part of the reason Eli didn't get killed with the lack of protection from his terrible OT duo.

On the other hand, Jerry is a major reason the Giants run game was ranked near the very bottom of the league.

So he is the player equivalent of the glass half full/glass half empty analogy
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Dennis

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 131
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:09:02 AM »
You're saying he's equally full and empty?

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 884
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »
You're saying he's equally full and empty?

You can look at Jerry and point to his pass blocking and say he was underrated and under appreciated or you can point to his run blocking and say he stinks on ice.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

babywhales

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 164
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 09:11:41 AM »
To be fair, Jerry is a role player and could function as a player on a rock solid line.

On a line that had a center regress in the first half, a second year LT with horrible technique that was simply awful and a RT that was less than serviceable, Jerry simply is not good enough.

The starting lineman with flaws has to be the exception not the norm.  Someone on the line other than Pugh has to play solid football and Richburg playing half a season of football doesn't cut it.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:19:36 AM by babywhales »
“The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished.”– G.B.S