Author Topic: A Glance At Some Players In Relation to The Salary Cap  (Read 193 times)

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 586
    • View Profile
A Glance At Some Players In Relation to The Salary Cap
« on: February 16, 2017, 06:05:47 PM »
Quarterback

Ryan Nassib- UFA Do not re-sign. There are better QB’s out there in the FA Market.  Among them after Cousins who is a premier starter are, Glennon, Fitz and McGloin.

Same goes for Johnson- UFA and Wenning who has no Dead Cap Hit but can be a Camp Arm.

Wide Receivers

Dwayne Harris will make more than OBJ this season. His dead cap hit is high and because of his special teams play he’s going to stay.

OBJ- The question is since next year is his 5th year Option, will the Giants try to get him wrapped up? There is no contract renegotiation in the first 3 seasons of a first round rookie contract but now this is his 4th season. He’s coming off a good season but not a spectacular season. Next year his 5th year option could be very high. He has some maturity issues and it’s unclear if the Giants are looking to see if he works through these and grows or he becomes more of an issue. I would work on a deal now.

Running Backs

Shane Vereen- Scheduled to get $4.9mm this season with a $1.166 Dead Cap hit. The Giants save  $3.734MM by cutting him or they can renegotiate his contract. He’s a solid player with some injury issues. He’s only 27 and only they know the consequences of his injuries and how it will or will not effect him moving forward.

Offensive Linemen

Justin Pugh is scheduled to make $8.821MM in this his 5th season. No Dead Cap Hit. He absolutely needs to be restructured this year. It’s a lot of money for a Guard. They also need to decide if that is his role.

John Jerry, Marshall Newhouse and Will Beatty should be resigned as backup roles. Obviously they have Flowers and they need to decide on where he will play. They now know they need to make other decisions for the LT position.

Defensive Linemen

Yada, yada, yada…JPP and Hankins…

Jay Bromley is inexpensive in his last season. No reason not to bring him into camp.

This may not be the year but they have to take a hard look at Romeo Okwara. He has the potential to be a starting DE in this league. He’s cheap now at $540K this year and $630 next year but if he has a breakout year and I think he might, he could demand a hefty salary. This one is worth looking at.

Secondary

DRC is locked up the next 2 years and this just isn’t the year to be looking at him, unless they want to give him some bonus and push off the high salaries. He’s going to make $8.5MM this year and next but next year his dead cap hit is $2.0MM. He’s 31 this April.

Landon Collins will be looked at next year. He’s a bargain now.

Leon Hall is 32 and will be 33 in December. Solid player and may be worth re-signing for a bit less than the $1.0MM he played for under his 1 year deal last season.

Everyone else has to prove their worth.

Special Teams

Brad Wing is locked up. DeOssie is an UFA. He’s 33 in May and not old for a Long Snapper but he was one of the best Special Teams players on the team but he seemed to lose a step. Not a position you want to mess with. Just ask Tom Coughlin.

Robbie Gould played over his head last year and is an UFA. If I had my druthers, I would bring back a rehabilitated Josh Brown. But that’s just me.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:02:18 PM by Vette »
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

afan56

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 59
    • View Profile
Re: A Glance At Some Players In Relation to The Salary Cap
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 06:52:20 PM »
Re: Josh Brown, I agree but I fear that his crime is in the unforgivable area like dog fighting. I think he may deserve or earn another chance.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 232
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:39:45 PM »
Dwyane HARRIS Is a liability. Take dah hit, & improve our Roster. :boooo:

Dumpster Dan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »
Thanks for this Ed

It puts things into better perspective rather than just a name

DD

beaugestus

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:31:33 AM »
Jaime, Harris made the pro-bowl this year as a ST. He's a liability?

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 388
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »
Jaime, Harris made the pro-bowl this year as a ST. He's a liability?

He is excellent as a gunner, but he has terrible judgement as a returner, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 586
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »
He is excellent as a gunner, but he has terrible judgement as a returner, IMO.

Yes, the hands are good but he runs into the wedge.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 388
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 06:24:42 PM »
Yes, the hands are good but he runs into the wedge.

Yes, although I was talking more about his decisions about whether or not to try to return a kick or punt.  I would love to see a breakdown on where we ended up on KOs he ran out of the end zone.  And he also made some very questionable, IMO, decisions to try to return punts when surrounded by cover guys, where a fair catch would have been much safer.

I think we have discussed before the theory that his diminished role as a receiver may have led him to try to do too much as a returner.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist