Author Topic: Latest shows I'm watching  (Read 147 times)

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 225
    • View Profile
Latest shows I'm watching
« on: February 22, 2017, 12:56:22 AM »
I've mentioned before That I've cut the cord by canceling my DirecTV. Where our house is situated I'm unable to get any local channels without a rooftop antenna, which I'm unwilling to do. My TV viewing now consists only of streaming. As such I've watched a few series that I've enjoyed and wanted to mention them, to recommend them, and also to see if anyone has seen them and if so what you thought of them.

Stranger Things (Netflix Original, 8 episodes). Horror/Sci-Fi Conspiracy. This is a fun show, with a tip of the hat to Steven Spielberg in that the main stars are kids. In fact I bet Spielberg wishes he could still produce stuff like this, because it's pretty much Spielberg at the height of his powers in the 80s.The series is well written and the acting is very good. It's been renewed for a second season and I'm looking forward to it returning.
Trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWxyRG_tckY

Travelers (Netflix Original, 12 episodes). A Canadian production. Sci-Fi, Time Travel. Yeah, I know time travel has been done a thousand times already, but this show was riviting. Very well written with no scene or dialog wasted. I binged on this series and it flew by with some very interesting twists along the way. Season 2 is in production now and will air in the Fall. 
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99LZwZmSoNo

The Santa Clarita Diet (Netflix Original, 10 episodes). Comedy/Zombie. Right, a "zomedy" starring Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant as a husband/wife Real Estate team. I wasn't sure about this one. I mean really? A comedy with Drew Barrymore as a zombie? I'll tell you what, by the end of season one it really grew on me. Barrymore nails the role and Olyphant plays his part SO over the top crazy that he's freaking hysterical. A bit graphic, I'm sure not too much for you guys considering TWD thread.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjRnbOgoAUQ

Sneaky Pete (Amazon Original, 10 episodes). Crime/Drama. Starring Giovanni Ribisi, Co-Produced and Co-Starring Bryan Cranston. This show has a certain Breaking Bad feel to it in the sense that a fairly likable protagonist is involved in a series of escalating situations to which he has to adapt to and resolve in inventive ways, (it helps that he's a con man). This of course leads to more complications. I'm three episodes in and enjoying it very much.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCM-I4j-Rv4

EDjohnst1981

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Latest shows I'm watching
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 06:18:39 PM »
I've only seen Stranger Things and I enjoyed that. I especially like the sound track of the opening 3 episodes.

I want to find time for Sneaky Pete, sounds excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:52:52 AM »
I've now watched six episodes of Sneaky Pete and it just keeps getting better. Highly recommended if you're able to watch Amazon Prime shows/movies. Once I'm done with this I'll have to decide what to watch next. I have yet to watch season two of Man in the High Castle. Season one was excellent and I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it yet. It's a very intriguing concept. I'm also a couple seasons behind in watching House of Cards and I so need to get back to that one.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 08:54:25 AM by Sem »

weeze

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
a friend of mine has gone unplugged. Im gonna see his set up when I recoup . I think you can get pretty much anything you want except the sports packages right? like no nfl ticket?
 man Direct TV when you have nfl prime ticket has gotten truly expensive.
 I reall need to know more on this subject. One of the night guys on Mad Dawg Radio network, hes living in LA, he did it last month and was talking about how much he enjoyed paying off his cabel bill!!!!
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »
a friend of mine has gone unplugged. Im gonna see his set up when I recoup . I think you can get pretty much anything you want except the sports packages right? like no nfl ticket?
 man Direct TV when you have nfl prime ticket has gotten truly expensive.
 I reall need to know more on this subject. One of the night guys on Mad Dawg Radio network, hes living in LA, he did it last month and was talking about how much he enjoyed paying off his cabel bill!!!!

Weeze, if you're in a metropolitan area you have the potential to pull in a lot of over-the-air channels with a decent antenna. Large buildings in the line of sight may hamper that though. Me? I'm a few miles outside of a small town with no TV stations, and with large trees all around me. Nearest stations are 10 miles to the south and 25 miles to the north. If I put a large antenna on my roof I could probably pull in 4-6 channels. Since a roof-top antenna is not something I want to do I decided to go with DirecTV Now, (DTVN). It's a relatively new offering, kicked off this past November and owned by AT&T (owner of DirecTV satellite TV and NFL Sunday Ticket). But DTVN is a streaming service requiring only an internet connection and a streaming device - Roku, Apple TV, cell phone, PC, etc. There is no contract so I can quit any time without a penalty fee. I signed up for the "Go Big" package which is 100+ channels of live TV via the internet for $35/month. It was a special deal, now expired, that included a free 4th generation Apple TV which allows me to watch DTVN, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, a bunch of stuff. The same package is now $60/month with a free Apple TV. They also offer cheaper packages with fewer channels. The downside is there is no dvr, and for me no local channels. Maybe someday they'll offer a dvr or cloud-based dvr and the NFL Sunday Ticket. Until then I probably won't be joining you guys in the chat room on game days.

https://directvnow.com/appletv#slide2
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:59:01 PM by Sem »

LarryD

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 07:32:06 AM »
Just watched season one of the leftovers on HBO its really interesting.

On to season two before season three starts.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 489
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:19:03 AM »
Steve, have you watched any of the series, Humans which just ended what I think was it's second season? I never watched the first season but it came together pretty well.

I started to watch Mars but it was so slow moving I bailed.   

Are these shows you recommend only on netflix or are they on channels like Showtime, AMC, HBO and Cinemax?

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:50:05 AM »
Ed, I haven't watched either of the shows you mentioned, I'll look into them if they're available to me.

The shows I mentioned in my initial post are exclusive to Netflix (the first three), and Amazon (Sneaky Pete). I've since finished Sneaky Pete, a show I enjoyed quite a bit.

I'm currently watching two shows on Netflix - The OA and Vexed. The OA is one of the most unique concepts I've ever seen on TV. In fact I'm not even completely sure I understand it even, though I've almost completed season 1. Definitely very thought provoking. Scott Wilson (Hershel from The Walking Dead) has a role in it.
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvHJtez2IlY

Vexed is a lot lighter. A British cop comedy/drama (mostly comedy) about a male and female cop partnership. Mildly amusing though predictable. I use it more as a much needed mental reset after watching The OA.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 489
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 02:54:53 PM »
The OA looks interesting. I don't have netflix though.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:04:26 PM »
The OA looks interesting. I don't have netflix though.
Netflix is easily the best $10/month I spend Ed. It has far more interesting content than I'll ever be able to watch. And now that they're producing more and more of their own content they are really knocking it out of the park.

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:06:53 PM »
Just watched season one of the leftovers on HBO its really interesting.

On to season two before season three starts.
This sounds like an interesting premise. I just got a deal where I get free HBO for a year. If they ever run the series from the beginning I'll check it out.