News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Early Offensive Line Breakdown COMPLETE

Started by MightyGiants, February 23, 2017, 08:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on February 24, 2017, 08:21:57 AM
Can't wait to read what you think of Roderick Johnson. You'll have to go to the tape because reviews are so different.

Personally I think he's horrific but he'll look great off the hoof at the Combine

Having watched some tape on him I am baffled how there is any mixed views on him.   Roderick certainly has quick feet.  He uses them to retreat right into the QB's lap.   Plus if I were to give this guy a nickname it would be pet hair because he is very easily shed.   The man can't sustain a block.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 25, 2017, 08:02:11 AM
Having watched some tape on him I am baffled how there is any mixed views on him.   Roderick certainly has quick feet.  He uses them to retreat right into the QB's lap.   Plus if I were to give this guy a nickname it would be pet hair because he is very easily shed.   The man can't sustain a block.

Pet Hair!!   =))

MightyGiants

Here is the second part of my offensive line breakdown series:  I am not going further down the list but if there is a player you're interested in beyond who I covered, let me know.

Banner, Zach   OT   6'8"   361   USC   GR   5.7-   A massive man, pretty much as big as they come in the football world.   He played RT for USC after a redshirt freshman year and an injury-shortened sophomore year.  The book on him is he is powerful as one might expect at his size.  However he has problems keeping his weight down, does not bend at the knees like he should (a big issue for a man this tall) and he isn't the quickest of linemen.   Still, he is big and he moves well for a man his size.   He is the sort of player a team takes a 4th or 5th round flyer on to see if he can play guard or RT.  That said, he has been losing weight and if he manages to get his weight down he might shine at the combine and that could raise his stock.  Interesting Giants connection, he is the son of former Raider Lincoln Kennedy and he was thinking of entering the 2015 draft but the Giants O-diggy so abused him when they met that he stayed in school.  He thought about coming out last season as well but the draft council didn't give him a high enough grade (they tell prospects where they believe they will be drafted) so he stayed in school for the 2016 season.

Johnson, Roderick   T   6'7"   311   Florida St.   GR      5.7-  A guy that has the size and athletic ability that is textbook OT.  There are some scouts that are reportedly high on him and I can only say based on what I saw of him they are high as in they enjoying recreational drugs.   Roderick gets stop dead in his tracks when he tries to run block, he has very quick feet that allow him to retreat with his man right into the QB's lap and I have rarely witnessed an offensive lineman that is so easily shed.  His technique is not terrible, it's just that he fails to produce results.  Now, it's possible he played better in some of the game I didn't watch but in my mind consistency is one of the most important traits you want in an offensive lineman.   This isn't WR where a few big plays in a game is what it takes, a lineman needs to be good play in and play out.    I suspect he might wow people at the combine, but this is a player the Giants need to stay away from

Dawkins, Dion   OG   6'4"   317   Temple   GR   5.7-   This is a player I would LOVE to draft in round 2.   You will see him listed alternately as 6' 3" or 6' 4" (his actual height is 6' 3 7/8") and many will immediately assume he will be a guard in the NFL (being an inch or two too short).  However, I wouldn't be so quick to move him from his college position of LT.   He has nice long arms at 34 5/8 inches and an impressive 84 1/4 wingspan.  I believe those traits will allow him to remain at tackle even in the NFL.   Temple while a lower level of competition runs a pro style offense which means his learning curve will not be as steep as a spread offense lineman. I watched him hold his own against Penn State.  He shows good movement, strength, and good balance.   Like many there are parts of his technique that could use cleaning up but overall I liked what I saw.  I see Dawkins as a possible OT who could also play guard.   As Todge said, the Giants love versatility and I see Dawkins able to play every position but center.  Some will say he has character concerns because he was arrested after a fight with fellow students, but barring extenuating circumstances that doesn't concern me too much.   My only fear is that other teams see Dawkins potential at Tackle and he fails to last until the Giants 2nd pick.  Also, started at tackle as a true freshman until a broken foot ended his season.

Moton, Taylor   OG   6'5"   330   Western Michigan   GR   5.6-  The book on Dion is he is a powerful RT/RG player.  Many scouts seem to think he would be a better RG than a RT owing to a lack of footspeed.   He is very smart (3.84 GPA business major) and strong.   He could be a solution to the need at RG in the 3rd round or better yet the 4th round.  The ability to play RT in a pinch is a plus.   Think a healthier (hopefully) Geoff Schwartz.

Siragusa, Nico   OG   6'5"   330   San Diego St.   GR   5.5-  A powerful and effective run blocker who will most likely project to RG at the NFL level after playing mostly LG with the Aztecs (first season he did play RG).  Can pull effectively and is strong in pass blocking.  The issue is he can be slow out of his stance and quicker DTs could be a challenge for him.  Still not a bad pick to fill a RG position in rounds 3 or 4.  Many were hoping to get a better look at him at the Senior Bowl but a thumb injury sidelined him for much of the event.

Asiata, Isaac   OG   6'3"   325   Utah     GR   5.5-  Powerful run blocking guard who projects to LG by many.   He played LG for most of his college career but also played some C (due to injuries) and some RT.   Not the best pulling guard (which may make him a poor fit for the Giants.  Older than most rookies at 24 (when on a Church mission for a year or so with the Church of LDS).   Known more for his run blocking than his pass blocking.  Might be a consideration for the Giants if he falls to the 4th round even with the fit issues.

Beyond these guys I have listed you are looking at guys with ceilings of marginal starters or backups or are long-term projects who will be unable to contribute to the team for at least a season or two (if ever).  I will include this one final write-up as he has gotten some play among draftniks

Davenport, Julie'n   OT   6'7"   310   Bucknell   GR 5.2-  Has all the tools one looks for in a LT including vine like 36" arms.   I suspect he will even test well at the combine with the exception of the bench press.    Faced low-level competition and didn't' always dominate at that level.   He struggled quite a bit at the Senior Bowl when facing talent that is more NFL caliber.   Unfortunately, this is the sort of all potential no production player Reese seems to love when it comes to drafting offensive linemen (see Brewer, McCants and Mosely).    Hopefully if Jerry does take a flyer on Julie'n he waits to the very lower rounds.   Just because a player looks like an offensive tackle doesn't mean he is one.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Thank you for doing this, Rich. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin