News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants should be able to find top notch player in the second round

Started by MightyGiants, February 25, 2017, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

From a former NFL scout

Daniel Jeremiah  @MoveTheSticks
9h
This draft is so deep. I have about 70 guys worthy of a top 50 spot. The 2nd/3rd round is going to produce a lot of future pro bowlers.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

The problem is every board I use on the simulator has the same result - the top 3 TE's are gone, I just miss out on a DE that fits either and either have to reach for a T or RB. Worrying as all the best players available are DB's or players at positions we need who don't fit our size/schematic needs.

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on February 25, 2017, 08:30:27 AM
The problem is every board I use on the simulator has the same result - the top 3 TE's are gone, I just miss out on a DE that fits either and either have to reach for a T or RB. Worrying as all the best players available are DB's or players at positions we need who don't fit our size/schematic needs.

Ceri,

It's still early in the process.  I am sure the draft needs will change once free agency settles out and I also see the boards changing drastically with the Combine.   I suspect there will be more movement by those with connections in the league from rubbing elbows with all the league front office and scouting staffs than what we see in the Combine (not that there will not be Combine winners and losers who push their draft stock one way or the other).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sooners56

Any chance the best player and value on the board is a CB who the Giants just have to select?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MightyGiants

Here were the choices when I ran the draft simulator (Draft Tek's board and fan voted team needs)

11 RB  DALVIN COOK - FLORIDA ST
17 WR  JUJU SMITH-SCHUSTER - USC
18 OT  RYAN RAMCZYK - WISCONSIN
20 EDGE  TAKKARIST MCKINLEY - UCLA
21 CB  JOURDAN LEWIS - MICHIGAN
24 DL  MALIK MCDOWELL - MICHIGAN ST
26 LB  JARRAD DAVIS - FLORIDA
27 QB  BRAD KAAYA - MIAMI (FL)
28 OT  CAM ROBINSON - ALABAMA
29 CB  ADOREE' JACKSON - USC
30 EDGE  TIM WILLIAMS - ALABAMA
33 G  FORREST LAMP - W KENTUCKY
34 CB  SIDNEY JONES - WASHINGTON
35 CB  GAREON CONLEY - OHIO ST
36 EDGE  CHARLES HARRIS - MISSOURI
37 DL  CALEB BRANTLEY - FLORIDA
38 QB  PATRICK MAHOMES II - TEXAS TECH
40 S  JABRILL PEPPERS - MICHIGAN
41 G  DORIAN JOHNSON - PITTSBURGH
42 S  MARCUS WILLIAMS - UTAH
43 EDGE  CARL LAWSON - AUBURN
44 EDGE  DEMARCUS WALKER - FLORIDA ST
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: sooners56 on February 25, 2017, 09:59:27 AM
Any chance the best player and value on the board is a CB who the Giants just have to select?

sooner: There is a high likelihood that the best player will be a CB; it's possible they could hope to trade down if that happens.

Generally, it will be interesting to see whether they stick to best-player-available strategy throughout this draft, because it is so deep.

If it does turn out to be a cornerback, I think they will take him IF they think he can cover the slot.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

todge

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 25, 2017, 10:06:56 AM
sooner: There is a high likelihood that the best player will be a CB; it's possible they could hope to trade down if that happens.

Generally, it will be interesting to see whether they stick to best-player-available strategy throughout this draft, because it is so deep.

If it does turn out to be a cornerback, I think they will take him IF they think he can cover the slot.

Bob

Sorry Bob but I disagree. Even though the Giants claim they use the BPA philosophy, history tells us that it is "best player at a position of need".  After drafting Apple last year, I would say it is very unlikely they would use another 1st Round pick on a nickel/dime CB.  That type of player might be selected in the latter Rounds. They have too many other needs to fill on this team right now than CB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGiantFan

The mantra used to be that you never have too many pass rushers.  As the league evolves, and as the spread, well, spreads, and we see more and more 4 and 5 receiver sets, maybe the new mantra should be you never have too many pass coverage guys.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

beaugestus

COGIANT, I think you make a good point. We have seen that many teams are making it a point for the QB to release the ball as quick as possible. With the no contact rules benefitting the WRs it places a premium on good cover DBs. We saw how the Gmen benefitted from having 3 good cover CBs and the maturing of Collins. Also to think that injury does not come into play during the season and playoffs is not realistic.

Bob In PA

Quote from: todge on February 25, 2017, 11:21:02 AM
Sorry Bob but I disagree. Even though the Giants claim they use the BPA philosophy, history tells us that it is "best player at a position of need".  After drafting Apple last year, I would say it is very unlikely they would use another 1st Round pick on a nickel/dime CB.  That type of player might be selected in the latter Rounds. They have too many other needs to fill on this team right now than CB.

Ted: I'm just playing the odds, because IMO the "strength" of free-agency does not match well with the Giants' needs; similarly, although this draft is deep in talent, the depth is also not a great match.

Top-notch free-agents (and 1st- and 2nd-round players) will be available to the Giants, but not at the positions of greatest need.

I believe they will (wisely IMO) flow with the strength of the draft and free-agency and not "force" anything; desperation usually produces bad results.

For these reasons, this off-season should be EXTRA interesting for us arm-chair GM's to watch.

Bob

Jaime

From what I've been able to glean thus far, the Draft is deep, really deep at Corner, Running Back & DT. The hype regarding DE and TE I believe, should be tempered with the availability of the specific skill-set u r seeking. Too many of the DE's are essentially 3-4 Rush Backers. Check out How many of the  TE's are oversized wide receivers?  Both positions have a lot of talent, but lack the size to give us a good fit for our respective Schemes. :-??

With the 23rd overall selection, if the best player there on the board is a Corner, we should take him and run! Can't have too many Corners, damn straight! Four WR sets aside, Think of it this way guys. A twisted knee and your Slot becomes a starter. Two Twisted knees, and your Dime becomes a starter. U can have a good front seven, but if your Corners can't cover, you got major problems in today's NFL :yes:

MP21WAYS2PAY

Quote from: COGiantFan on February 25, 2017, 11:59:29 AM
The mantra used to be that you never have too many pass rushers.  As the league evolves, and as the spread, well, spreads, and we see more and more 4 and 5 receiver sets, maybe the new mantra should be you never have too many pass coverage guys.

If the worst case scenario is we come out of the 1st round with a elite/very good corner, I will sleep well.  I know there are some great TE options at the top of the draft, and I would be thrilled to get one of them, but the draft is also deep at TE, so if we can get a very good TE in round 2 or 3, I am ok with that.

MP21WAYS2PAY

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on February 25, 2017, 08:30:27 AM

Ceri, I am looking forward to your review of the TEs, who is your #3 TE, Everett?

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jaime on February 25, 2017, 04:50:48 PM
From what I've been able to glean thus far, the Draft is deep, really deep at Corner, Running Back & DT. The hype regarding DE and TE I believe, should be tempered with the availability of the specific skill-set u r seeking. Too many of the DE's are essentially 3-4 Rush Backers. Check out How many of the  TE's are oversized wide receivers?  Both positions have a lot of talent, but lack the size to give us a good fit for our respective Schemes. :-??

With the 23rd overall selection, if the best player there on the board is a Corner, we should take him and run! Can't have too many Corners, damn straight! Four WR sets aside, Think of it this way guys. A twisted knee and your Slot becomes a starter. Two Twisted knees, and your Dime becomes a starter. U can have a good front seven, but if your Corners can't cover, you got major problems in today's NFL :yes:

Jaime: This is also my attitude toward the situation. Well said. Bob

President Rick

Ditto, Jaime and Bob.  Look at it this way...who is easier to replace late camp to mid season, a servicable DE or a CB who won't be giving up TD's every game?  We can get the OL, TE and DE in rds 2-4, as well as having FA to nab 1-2 of those guys.  I don't know of an affordable CB of the ability say of Eli Apple we can land [or if we do we cap out of FA then and there].  Excellent analysis.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.