News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants should be able to find top notch player in the second round

Started by MightyGiants, February 25, 2017, 07:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoelessjoe

You have to let the draft come to you especially if you are picking at 23.

Philosophers

Shoeless - that is 100% correct.  All the "I want this player" means little when the draft moves away from you.  A team has to have a diverse strategy that encompasses various draft scenarios.  One thing we forget is that they are on the clock and when all of a sudden something that seems unfathomable happens such as the 1996 draft when they thought they thought with the 5th pick, they'd get either Simeon Rice or Jonathan Ogden as they thought for sure Lawrence Phillips would be drafted before their pick.  Well, that didn't happen and they had to adjust on the fly and took Cedric Jones.  They didn't have a plan.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Shoelessjoe on February 26, 2017, 11:35:43 AM
You have to let the draft come to you especially if you are picking at 23.
Quote from: Philosophers on February 26, 2017, 12:11:41 PM
Shoeless - that is 100% correct.  All the "I want this player" means little when the draft moves away from you.  A team has to have a diverse strategy that encompasses various draft scenarios.  One thing we forget is that they are on the clock and when all of a sudden something that seems unfathomable happens such as the 1996 draft when they thought they thought with the 5th pick, they'd get either Simeon Rice or Jonathan Ogden as they thought for sure Lawrence Phillips would be drafted before their pick.  Well, that didn't happen and they had to adjust on the fly and took Cedric Jones.  They didn't have a plan.

Phil and Joe:  I think you just line up the players on your paper and cross off the players picked, then when it's your turn you evaluate the POSITIONS that have been taken with an eye toward what is likely to be left on your NEXT pick, then you make your CURRENT pick.  This system allows you to adjust in two ways: first, if the top remaining player on your list plays a position that has already been "popular" in the picks before you, you can just take that player; second, if the position of the next player has so far been ignored, you also have the option of skipping over that guy if, for example, the next guy below him on your list plays a position where the draft is weak or where there's greater need.

I believe this is what the Giants already do.

IMO, the problem for us "observers" is not the systematic approach the Giants use, but rather that we often disagree with the order in which they've placed the players on their list.  Since they spend more time assembling their list than I do, I usually tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, figuring they know a whole lot more than I do.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

beaugestus

I am very skeptical when teams draft a player who just so happens to fill a need with a high pick . IMO, a case in point was the drafting of Flowers at #9. It has been pointed out with some here at the time, he was lacking in his footwork and overall technique. Yet, JR and company select him and here we are going into his 3rd season wanting to replace him. While adding insult to injury, now there is the question, "where can he fit in the OL"?  Some say he's too tall to be a G and DTs will be able to get underneath his pads and at RT he will still have the same deficiencies at RT that he has for LT.

It really rubs me the wrong way when you have the opportunity to draft with a top 10 pick and looks like it might be a disaster still going forward. So here we are again and at #23 with the same problem in a draft with from what I read, a OT poor draft. I say if the best "player" available is a CB one of the strongest positions on the team, you grab him. And if you want to rationalize, DRC is not getting any younger, he always seems to get nicked up and he is a large CAP expense. We could use another RB, WR, LB, DE, DT. I'd rather select a player who will come in with most of the essential attributes of his position and  add to the overall quality of the team and not have to address it again in the near future.

Painter

You are supposed to be able to find a topnotch player in the second round no less than in the first round even if we consider that the media only gets about 80 percent of its top-100 rankings right. The Giants picks are 27 and 53.

Is there any reason to think of the Giants as any more or less able to get a topnotch player in Round 2 of this year's Draft as compared to say any of the last five: 2016 Sterling Shepard; 2015 Landon Collins; 2014 Weston Richburg; 2013 Jonathan Hankins; 2012 Rueben Randle.

No, Randle wasn't topnotch but that had little to do with his having been a second rounder in what was a singularly lousy Giants' Draft overall. Indeed, he might be faintly praised as the best of a sorry lot in 2012. I suppose we could view it as either encouraging or worrisome that only since 2012 has Reese & Co done materially better than in its years before.

As we can find as many as 10 Edge Rushers ranked in the Top-10, then should that becomes a position of need, waiting until Round 2 seems plausible.  The quantity/quality distribution among DBs also would admit patience. Of course, the depth in those areas also may make it more likely that others will choose to target those positions we think the Giants will or should be.

Still, whether it's a TE, an OLT, a RB they target in Round 1, they should be able to a topnotch player in Round 2.

Cheers!

Shoelessjoe

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 26, 2017, 12:40:52 PM
Phil and Joe:  I think you just line up the players on your paper and cross off the players picked, then when it's your turn you evaluate the POSITIONS that have been taken with an eye toward what is likely to be left on your NEXT pick, then you make your CURRENT pick.  This system allows you to adjust in two ways: first, if the top remaining player on your list plays a position that has already been "popular" in the picks before you, you can just take that player; second, if the position of the next player has so far been ignored, you also have the option of skipping over that guy if, for example, the next guy below him on your list plays a position where the draft is weak or where there's greater need.

I believe this is what the Giants already do.

IMO, the problem for us "observers" is not the systematic approach the Giants use, but rather that we often disagree with the order in which they've placed the players on their list.  Since they spend more time assembling their list than I do, I usually tend to give them the benefit of the doubt, figuring they know a whole lot more than I do.

Bob

On Path to the Draft, they at times do an exercise called Cluster Busting.  This is where they have a group of say 5 players that are pretty close in their rating.  They try to break the players out in some kind of order.  This is done before the draft by teams so that when they get some idea as to which way to go.  It's easy to select a player that you have rated much higher then anyone else however, when you get players who are clustered closely you need to have an idea as to which way you need to go.  It's not as simple as just taking the next player off of the list.

todge

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on February 26, 2017, 06:03:39 AM
If the worst case scenario is we come out of the 1st round with a elite/very good corner, I will sleep well.  I know there are some great TE options at the top of the draft, and I would be thrilled to get one of them, but the draft is also deep at TE, so if we can get a very good TE in round 2 or 3, I am ok with that.

One added point - the Draft is not deep in OLs. So that increases the likelihood that an OT will be taken in the 1st or 2nd Rounds knowing full well that other needs can be filled with positions if greater depth.

Also - I would state that the odds of a nickel/dime CB being drafted again in Round One are 99-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk