News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Choices for the 23rd overall selection?

Started by Jaime, March 02, 2017, 03:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaime

From what I could glean in a cursory overview, the following are Prospects that I think would represent a good value at the 23rd overall selection for us. Of course this is a pre combine list that will fluctuate down the road with interviews, workouts xcetera.
I'll preface  my list with the following comments. I'm not in favor of signing jpp long-term. I think it's a bad R.O.I. and I don't trust jpp to stay healthy. We can draft a replacement for 10% of what we'd have to Forfeit to him. If I had my druthers, Taco Charlton would be my first choice. Absent Taco there r great value at the corner and running back position. WR could be another fit? I know we're desperate for OL, but I don't see a single OL Prospect worthy the 23rd overall selection. In a normal year all of these so-called first-round OL prospects would be no more than second round picks I believe. Linebacker pool Is tragically shallow. There's a bunch of undersized DE's masquerading as 3-4 Rush Backers, but none that fit our 4- 3 scheme
So here goes in no significant order;

DE Taco Charlton.  Either one of these two saves US money and makes us a better team immediately.
DE Miles Garrett

TE OJ Howard.    Wishful thinking here,  Maybe? But you never know...
TE David Njoku

Corner Marion Humphrey.    How about another Eli Apple anyone?
Corner Marsh on Lattimore
Corner Quincy Wilson

WR Mike Williams.   Three sizable WR prospects that we definitely could use.
WR Corey Davis
WR Mack Hollins

RB Lenard Fournette.      Three superb RB's.
RB Dalvin Cook
RB Christian McCaffery

FS Malik Hooker.  Don't really need them, but these three  prospects are Elite.
SS Jamal Adam's
SS Jabril Peppers

QB Mitch Trubisky. Next Eli here?
QB Desmond Kizer

DT Chris Worley.      Three  Nice replacements for Hankins.
DT Jonathon Allen
DT Caleb Brantley

My two cents...

Jaime

RB McCaffery has a huge day. Ran 4.48 & looks smooth as silk in the field drills.
RB position is holding up to scrutiny .  It's being called the deepest in years .
Stud wide receiver Mike Williams will not compete.
Mike Mayock calls Guard Lamp the best OL Prospect. It shows u how shallow the OL pool is, when a Tackle  isn't the number one Prospect according to Mayock, who's pretty good at his job.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jaime on March 03, 2017, 04:01:36 PM
RB McCaffery has a huge day. Ran 4.48 & looks smooth as silk in the field drills.
RB position is holding up to scrutiny .  It's being called the deepest in years .
Stud wide receiver Mike Williams will not compete.
Mike Mayock calls Guard Lamp the best OL Prospect. It shows u how shallow the OL pool is, when a Tackle  isn't the number one Prospect according to Mayock, who's pretty good at his job.

Worse, I am not even sure Guard is Lamp's best position.  With his size he may end up at Center.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jaime

Timing couldn't be worse. What a year for OL Prospects to be lacking. ~X(

Mr. Matt

Thought this was funny:
"Mike Williams vows he'll be the best Mike Williams ever: better than Mike Williams, Mike Williams, or even Mike Williams."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/3/14807260/mike-williams-is-the-best-mike-williams
"If there are going to be endless echoes, choose the good ones." -Eli Manning

UKGiantsFan

Very impressed with McCaffrey. He's like the ultimate weapon. No matter where you put him you're looking at big play potential and a whole lot of mismatch options in the passing game. He has his Daddy's hands and route running ability  :ok:

Jaime

Ceri,, saw his dad Ed McCaffrey in training camp as a rook with the Giants. I thought he looked good. but didn't he wind up getting cut,?  then went on to a terrific career with the Broncos I think it was? :-??

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: Jaime on March 03, 2017, 04:55:55 PM
Ceri,, saw his dad Ed McCaffrey in training camp as a rook with the Giants. I thought he looked good. but didn't he wind up getting cut,?  then went on to a terrific career with the Broncos I think it was? :-??

Nope, he played. Had some injuries and was jettisoned against the wishes of GM George Young as part of Dan Reeves influx of New Jersey Broncos. His replacement? Arthur Marshall. Who? Yeah, I could have cried. Especially when I met Marshall in my hotel over in the Meadowlands and he was smaller than me! McCaffrey went on to a storied career with the 49ers and Broncos.Marshall out of football two uneventful years later

Jaime

My bad, WR Mike Williams will not run the 40-yard dash.  however he will work elsewhere tomorrow. Redfaced

Jaime

Mike Mayock questions wide receiver Mike Williams ability to get generate separation. He says the reason could be a lack of speed. This dovetails  into Williams refusal to run the 40. It's believed that he'll take several weeks to work at improving his 40 speed for his Pro Day workout. A 40 time in the low 4.5's will be huge. If Williams runs a 4.6, he'll be seen as a possession receiver to move the chains that will be fighting for 50-50 Balls, rather than catching balls cleanly with sufficient separation.
I have also chosen Cory Davis and Mark Hollins as sizable wide receivers with skill sets that will fit our needs. The two aforementioned WR's will be working out Sat.

Buzz is that Hankins is going to command close to 10 million per with 20 million guaranteed per  in his next contract.  this does not even come close to fitting into the Giants Cap Room ability. Especially if they have a realistic desire to resign jpp. So when the DT's workout, keep an eye on Jonathan Allen, Chris Wormley, and Caleb Brantley. I saw these three Prospects  as good-looking 3-technique DT's for us to replace Hankins.

beaugestus

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on March 03, 2017, 05:04:32 PM
Nope, he played. Had some injuries and was jettisoned against the wishes of GM George Young as part of Dan Reeves influx of New Jersey Broncos. His replacement? Arthur Marshall. Who? Yeah, I could have cried. Especially when I met Marshall in my hotel over in the Meadowlands and he was smaller than me! McCaffrey went on to a storied career with the 49ers and Broncos.Marshall out of football two uneventful years later

Jaime, Ceri, I had read an interview with Ed McCaffrey after he got to Denver. He credited his development with watching Jerry Rice in SF. He was very impressed with his work ethic and could run all day. You guys might remember he was physically far superior than when was with the Gmen. He always had the great hands though.

Jaime

My number one QB Prospect Trubisky looked good in his workout today. His ball had zip, the throws were accurate and his footwork was tight. A lot of these Quarterback Prospects really struggled with a 5-step drop, as most of them rarely played under Center. The workout called for them to throw five different routes a fade, flat, slant, dig, and out.  the only deep  ball is on the fade. And I was surprised at how many poor deep throws there on that field today. As prognosticated, the Quarterback position is slim pickings this year.

PSUBeirut

I don't want the G-men to take a WR in the 1st round, but if they do I hope they take PSU's Godwin, who is having a hell of a combine.  Having watched this kid in all of his games I can tell you he really came on this year- especially his hands.  In 1-on-1 situations he just ends up with the ball, plain and simple.  Fast, very natural hands, and big.  He'd be the perfect complement to OBJ and in my opinion may wind up being the steal of the draft if he slips past the 1st round.  Very smart, hard worker too.  And, as a bonus, he's been working with Calvin Johnson to prep for the next level.

The other junior PSU player, Garret Sickels, is undersized for the next level and didn't show me any kind of consistent excellence this year. 

Jaime

Beirut, your guy Goodwin ran a smoking fast 4.42 today and pulled off a 36-inch vert. :what:
Measured 6'-1" & tipped dah scales at 209 lbs. Nice body of work as well!
Good get Bro! =D>

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Jaime on March 04, 2017, 04:54:03 PM
Beirut, your guy Goodwin ran a smoking fast 4.42 today and pulled off a 36-inch vert. :what:
Measured 6'-1" & tipped dah scales at 209 lbs. Nice body of work as well!
Good get Bro! =D>

He's a stud!  I selfishly wish he'd have stayed but it's obvious he's ready for the next level.

Just wait until next year, though....the PSU name I'm sure you already know but others will soon enough- Saquon Barkley.  I've watched a lot of college football in my life and Barkley is on a different level than I've ever seen.  Behind a subpar line, even.  He's a junior next year and he'd be an idiot not to come out early.