News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Choices for the 23rd overall selection?

Started by Jaime, March 02, 2017, 03:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamagiantfan

Quote from: Jaime on March 03, 2017, 10:58:29 PM
Mike Mayock questions wide receiver Mike Williams ability to get generate separation. He says the reason could be a lack of speed. This dovetails  into Williams refusal to run the 40. It's believed that he'll take several weeks to work at improving his 40 speed for his Pro Day workout. A 40 time in the low 4.5's will be huge. If Williams runs a 4.6, he'll be seen as a possession receiver to move the chains that will be fighting for 50-50 Balls, rather than catching balls cleanly with sufficient separation.
Sounds like Laquan Treadwell 2.0, but I think he is more of a Kelvin Benjamin type. I agree, he has to be good at making catches in traffic (which by all accounts, he is) because that is his fate in the NFL with that lack of speed.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Jolly Blue Giant

I am only starting to get hyped up for the draft which is unusual because usually by this time of the year, I'm up to my ears in researching recruits and chomping at the bit for the draft to get here.

My early intuition has me desiring an offensive weapon. Of all the stuff I've read, and watching the athletes at the combine, there are only two players that have me thinking they are serious offensive game changers: TE - OJ Howard and RB - Christian McCaffrey

I suspect that Howard will be off the board by 23, but I think McCaffrey will still be there if we want. Because of the top heavy number of round 1 grade edge rushers and corner backs in this draft, combined with teams in desperate need of both - it's possible Howard slips to 23, but I have my doubts. Also, because there are so many excellent TE's in this draft class, I believe many teams will settle for a solid TE later in the draft as they will be there on the board like Adam Shaheen,  Bucky Hodges, Jake Butt, etc.

Njoku is intriguing, but not sure if he's the real game changer that I think would take the Giants into the next level of offensive play. I have him graded as a late 1st / early 2nd round grade, whereas I have Howard and McCaffrey graded as being in the top half of a round 1 grade (not that I'm some kind of expert or anything).

So give me Howard or McCaffrey....please! McCaffrey is so good at catching balls that we would have no need for Vereen (save some cap space here) and it would be sweet to have a feature back that can play like a short yardage RB or slot TE while having Perkins as a scat back coming that keeps the opposition off balance. It's been a long time since the Giants had a favorable ground game and McCaffrey would give that to us. And on top of that, practically every mock draft I've read has McCaffrey falling into the lap of the *%^!*& Patriots - as if they need another offensive juggernaut!

Personally, if both Howard and McCaffrey were still on the board at 23, I think I would have to go with McCaffrey. That's how much I think of him as a game changer for the the Giants' offense. For what it's worth, that is my 2 centavos 
I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy:

nosebleed_section

Anybody else thinking of Frank Gifford when they see McCaffrey? I never really saw him play, just what I've read. I have a nasty feeling that he's a guy BB would trade up to get. McCaffrey in a 12 formation with Gronk & whoever would be a nightmare.

JoeP

McCaffrey has NE Patriots written all over him. If he lasts past #15 don't be surprise if BB makes a move up to get him.

MP21WAYS2PAY

Quote from: JoeP on March 05, 2017, 11:14:01 AM
McCaffrey has NE Patriots written all over him. If he lasts past #15 don't be surprise if BB makes a move up to get him.

People are saying that, but I don't see why.  Belichick usually has several running backs, one is usually slow, but tough, and the other is a Vereen type, and he has James White and Dion Lewis in the Vereen role. I don't see it.  My bold prediction is Belichick sends Garopolo to Chicago for the #3 pick and takes OJ Howard there.

MightyGiants

While I tend to be one that often favors trading down in the first round, this year it seems like an even more pressing desire.  I will be curious how the post-Combine mocks shake out and how will be projected as being available for the Giants.  I have a feeling need will not be matching talent
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JoeP

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on March 05, 2017, 11:19:45 AM
People are saying that, but I don't see why.  Belichick usually has several running backs, one is usually slow, but tough, and the other is a Vereen type, and he has James White and Dion Lewis in the Vereen role. I don't see it.  My bold prediction is Belichick sends Garopolo to Chicago for the #3 pick and takes OJ Howard there.

#3 for Howard??? Way too rich a price, imho.

McC can line up anywhere. BB will extract more from him than any other coach.

President Rick

is a TE from Miss showing any rise in stock from his combine?  I forgot the name.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Shoelessjoe

Quote from: President Rick on March 05, 2017, 02:34:27 PM
is a TE from Miss showing any rise in stock from his combine?  I forgot the name.

Yes, he had an excellent combine.  You can see in both Evan Ingram and McCaffrey that they are good receivers and smooth in their route running.  Ingram is only 235 and according to Mayock, is a willing by not a necessarily a good blocker.  They showed some film and he has lighting moves for a TE. It makes you question if he is a TE or a big WR.

If you watched the tight ends yesterday, a record 10 were under 4.7 in the 40.  Records were also set in the broad and the vertical jumps for TE's.  They were saying  that this may be one of the most talented if not the most talented group that they have seen.

Jolly Blue Giant

Evan Ingram seems like an ideal WR - 6'3", run's a 4.42, and has good hands. Too small to be a steady blocker (IMHO) and a bit short for a lumbering TE. Could be the tall WR we've wanted (or at least I've wanted) ever since we lost Plaxico to a self-inflicted gunshot wound...idiot!
I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy:

Jaime

Watched the DB workouts today. Some of those guys are just a blur. Seriously doubt he'll be there for us at # 23 overall,  but Marshon Lattimore is going to make an incredible Corner.
The DB drills were brilliantly analyzed by Deion Sanders. He broke down the subtleties of the Drills, and then overlayed them into game applications. I think Sanders is a total jerkoff, but when  it comes to breaking down DB tape, I sure as heck listen.

Excluding QB & OL positions, I came away from the Combine really impressed. Thinking you OJ Howard fans are in for some good news. There's 15 or so Prospects that likely get graded out above him.  plus another handful that'll be overdrafted which may mean, OJ Howard could fall into our laps at # 23 overall. I feel the same way about QB Mitch Trubisky for different reasons. Trubisky is seen as the elite QB that needs the most work. But, reportedly he's got the highest upside. so we can take a couple years to groom the kid. Whereas other Franchises are looking for a day one starter at QB, which Trubisky is not seen as.
Since I'm a fan of cutting ties with jpp, we need to find a replacement. That's why I'm high on Taco Charlton. He's a little inexperienced and a bit raw, but his skill set as a 4-3 base DE is tough to come by, & his upside is impressive. Still , the aforementioned may allow him to fall into our lap as well?

As it stands currently, I totally believe chances r lining up for us to snag a top 15 talent at the 23rd overall selection. And I thought I was stoked before the Combine started...

todge

A general observation about the Patriots. Let's remember that Bill is the Head Coach only. The Pats have a Scouting Dept and a GM. Yet many fans believe that Bill calls all of the shots when it comes to the Draft and Free Agency. Sure he has input- but can we stop the implication that he does everything on that team including inflating/deflating the footballs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaime

Getting interesting. Saw post Combine Mocks today had us selecting tight end, safety, OT, &  DT.
Didn't see a QB or DE selected as per pre Combine Mocks.
What a difference a weekend makes? :-??
Admittedly it's a week Quarterback pool. But Trubisky had such a superb work out, he shot up the Draft Board. he's top five now. Could be a dead ringer for San Francisco, poor guy. =))

bamagiantfan

Here is my best guess for needs and selections

TE
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Jaime

Good job bama!
Back when Taco was my first choice and still is. If he's gone then I would snag TE Howard.
I agree about passing on  a OL pick at the 23rd overall, but for different reasons. I just don't see any of them worth the 23rd pick in such a strong draft at other positions. Ramczyk, Bolles, & Robinson  all have flaws whether it's injury, inexperienced, or just lousy feet. I don't believe our solution is there with them.