Author Topic: oroville dam spillway  (Read 83 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 956
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
oroville dam spillway
« on: March 02, 2017, 04:07:36 PM »
Really interesting stuff

https://imgur.com/gallery/mpUge

Be sure to click on the more images at the bottom of the pictures

"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

gregf

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 32
    • View Profile
Re: oroville dam spillway
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »
Gonna be quite a rebuild. I've gone boating there in the past , I think it's the tallest  damn in the country, beautiful lake. After 7 years of drought, California reservoirs are topped off. Last year, the lake I have my houseboat on was so low, I couldn't pull it out for a repair I  needed to do.  I literally had to manage a slow leak all winter by bilge pumps. This year it went up 40 feet in 8 weeks!  Here's a picture of lake beryessa glory hole overflow 

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

tucker115

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 183
    • View Profile
Re: oroville dam spillway
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »
50,000 cubic feet per second is just incomprehensible. As a fly fisherman, there are rivers in Ohio I will not even try to fish at 400 cubic feet per second. It's just too dangerous. I have been almost been knocked on my a** by 300 cfs!!! The extent of the damage is not that surprising given the force of the water. I am certainly not a water expert, but I imagine 50,000 cfs, being funneled through a relatively narrow area based on the volume of water, could toss a fleet of bulldozers around like they were plastic toys.