News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Post Combine - Howard Vs Njoku (sp?)

Started by Philosophers, March 07, 2017, 10:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

If both are available who should we take?

MightyGiants

It's a virtual coin toss but if I had to pick I would take Howard as he is the better blocker.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MP21WAYS2PAY

To me it looks like post-combine, OJ Howard is the clear #1 TE.  He ran  a 4.51 which is astounding, while Njoku's best was 4.64, and is a better blocker.

I would say OJ Howard is the best offensive prospect in this draft.

Gmo11

Leonard Fournette might have something to say about that.  Dudes that big aren't supposed to be that fast.  If he can stay healthy, and that's a big if, he's Adrian Peterson...only BIGGER.

But to answer the question I've still got OJ Howard #1 as far as TEs go but it's pretty close and the Giants would be much improved with either one of them next season.

MightyGiants

Both of these guys will probably be gone by pick 23.  So you might want to also consider the round two options of

Evan Engram, South Alabama (a UKGiants favorite)

and

Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech

Failing those this old fashioned TE who can block should be available in rounds 3 or 4

Jeremy Sprinkles, Arkansaw
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MP21WAYS2PAY

Fournette is going to be a beast, and he may well have something to say about it! 

Just to point it out, OJ Howard had exactly the same 40 time as Fournette, at 6'6 250.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm no expert, but I'd take Howard over Njoku in a heartbeat. Howard is bigger, stronger, faster and comes from a program where winning is an attitude, not just a stat.

Regardless, it's a moot point as he is not going to be available at 23 unless the "gods of football" is looking down and is a Giants' fan.
I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy:

MightyGiants

At TE you need to look at more than the 40 time.  You need to consider height, weight and arm length (important for catching and blocking)

You need to consider the short shuttle and 3 cone (as a good indicator of being able to change direction)

You need to consider the bench press (a good indicator of strength)

The verticle leap and broad jump will show how explosive and lower body power the TE has

So with this in mind

Name   OJ Howard     David Njoku
Height   6' 5 6/8"         6' 4"
Arm      33 1/4"          35 1/4"
Weight   251                246
40       4.51                 4.64
SS      4.16                  4.34
3C     6.85                   6.97
Vert    30"                   37.5"
BJ    10' 1"                  11' 1"
Bench  22                     21
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

It would be an easy choice for me; IMO, Howard is more ready to contribute now and solid in more areas.

He blocks for the run better than about half of all current NFL offensive linemen (and about three-fourths of all NFL tight ends).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 07, 2017, 11:45:39 AM
Both of these guys will probably be gone by pick 23.  So you might want to also consider the round two options of

Evan Engram, South Alabama (a UKGiants favorite)

and

Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech

Failing those this old fashioned TE who can block should be available in rounds 3 or 4

Jeremy Sprinkles, Arkansaw

I think you can scratch Sprinkles from the Giants.  He was arrested in 2014 and again during the 2016 Belk Bowl for shoplifting.

Both Engram and Hodges are converted WRs into TEs.  Both of them have limited experience in the blocking department with neither of them having the lower body power base to ever be effective blockers.  My theory is that the Giants have had enough of TEs who cannot block, so I would be surprised if they pulled the trigger on either of those.  But you never know!

MightyGiants

Quote from: todge on March 07, 2017, 03:09:35 PM
I think you can scratch Sprinkles from the Giants.  He was arrested in 2014 and again during the 2016 Belk Bowl for shoplifting.

Both Engram and Hodges are converted WRs into TEs.  Both of them have limited experience in the blocking department with neither of them having the lower body power base to ever be effective blockers.  My theory is that the Giants have had enough of TEs who cannot block, so I would be surprised if they pulled the trigger on either of those.  But you never know!

Ted,

I can find nothing on a 2014 arrest.   What was that about?   The shoplifting thing was minor thing and involved some sort of contest/promotion.

As for the other options, no doubt about it blocking would be something they would need to learn almost from scratch.  However, both of these players would offer Eli a nice big target over the middle.  Something Eli hasn't enjoyed since Ballard got hurt. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bamagiantfan

Give me Jordan Leggett from Clemson later in the draft.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Jaime

To me it's the Player or the Athelete?
One has a credible resume, and the other is based largely on upside.
I chose Howard.

MightyGiants

Quote from: bamagiantfan on March 07, 2017, 03:24:31 PM
Give me Jordan Leggett from Clemson later in the draft.

He's another intriguing prospect who may have gotten lost in the Combine hype due to not running the 40
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Cid in Dupont

Personally neither. I hope that we can sign Fassano as a FA.  He's young, great blocker, and already an NFL starter.

I really think that it is truly a crap shoot with anyone other than Howard at the TE spot.  We can't afford crap shoots right now.  Eli only has a couple of decent years left.

IMHO...Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.