News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Post Combine - Howard Vs Njoku (sp?)

Started by Philosophers, March 07, 2017, 10:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Cid in Dupont on March 07, 2017, 03:54:31 PM
Personally neither. I hope that we can sign Fassano as a FA.  He's young, great blocker, and already an NFL starter.

I really think that it is truly a crap shoot with anyone other than Howard at the TE spot.  We can't afford crap shoots right now.  Eli only has a couple of decent years left.

IMHO...Cid

Funny, rumor has it the Giants have interest in TE Anthony Fasano

I think there could be room to still draft a TE (especially as Fasano is up there in years).  I wouldn't shed a tear of Will Tye loses his roster spot
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 07, 2017, 11:45:39 AM
Both of these guys will probably be gone by pick 23.  So you might want to also consider the round two options of

Evan Engram, South Alabama (a UKGiants favorite)

and

Bucky Hodges, Virginia Tech

What makes you think Engram would be available in R2, especially as late as 55? Before the Combine I had him in my top 35.

As for Hodges let me be kind and describe myself as 'not a fan'. His worst traits are a cross between those of Donnell and Tye...

Quote from: todge on March 07, 2017, 03:09:35 PM
Both Engram and Hodges are converted WRs into TEs.  Both of them have limited experience in the blocking department with neither of them having the lower body power base to ever be effective blockers.

Hodges, agreed. Engram? Nope. He doesn't need to block like Howard Cross to be effective. He sticks to his guy pretty good. Plenty of film showing that

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 07, 2017, 04:03:29 PM
Funny, rumor has it the Giants have interest in TE Anthony Fasano

And suddenly Engram at #23 becomes realistic. Put him Fasano, OBJ & Shepard on the field together and '12' personnel becomes '11' (or vice versa) very swiftly. Mismatches everywhere!!

todge

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on March 07, 2017, 04:39:52 PM
What makes you think Engram would be available in R2, especially as late as 55? Before the Combine I had him in my top 35.

As for Hodges let me be kind and describe myself as 'not a fan'. His worst traits are a cross between those of Donnell and Tye...

Hodges, agreed. Engram? Nope. He doesn't need to block like Howard Cross to be effective. He sticks to his guy pretty good. Plenty of film showing that

And suddenly Engram at #23 becomes realistic. Put him Fasano, OBJ & Shepard on the field together and '12' personnel becomes '11' (or vice versa) very swiftly. Mismatches everywhere!!

OK thanks for info Ceri!  I certainly put more credence in your scouting reports than others.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: Cid in Dupont on March 07, 2017, 03:54:31 PM
Personally neither. I hope that we can sign Fassano as a FA.  He's young, great blocker, and already an NFL starter.

I really think that it is truly a crap shoot with anyone other than Howard at the TE spot.  We can't afford crap shoots right now.  Eli only has a couple of decent years left.

IMHO...Cid
That's an incredibly sober and reasonable position Cid. I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants do not draft a TE at all.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on March 07, 2017, 04:39:52 PM

Ceri,

I am not seeing the love for Engram that you have among others in the draft community.   I think his relatively short stature of 6' 3 3/8" may lower his draft stock a bit.  I think many (myself included) prefer TEs to be 6' 5" or bigger.

I think Hodges is a bit of a project.  He's a converted QB with only 3 seasons as a TE/WR.   The tools are there and as a former QB his Football smarts are there.   The team would just need to be patient with him in terms of learning how to block and refining his route running.   I will say I am not happy with the drops that Hodges has. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I agree 100%. TE's should be at least 6'5", preferably in the 6'6"-6'7" range with a big bone build carrying 255 lbs or more without any fat.

Engram (6'3 1/4" - 234 lbs - 4.42:40yd with a 36" vertical) would be a steal if he was drafted strictly as a WR and would create nightmares for the defense in the red zone. He has the speed / height combo to make mismatches on the outside and can also be a massive target coming across the slot. He's never going to be big enough to be a good blocker so I don't know why he is even listed as a TE.

I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy:

MightyGiants

I watched a game and a half of Engram and I saw nearly a mirror image of Hodges.  They both were used as TE/WR hybrids.   Neither can block very well and they almost never lined up tight.  Engram was used more as an oversized slot receiver while Hodges also lined up outside as well as slot.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Does the acquisition of Marshall lean us a little more on the blocking side for a TE?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: COGiantFan on March 08, 2017, 02:25:50 PM
Does the acquisition of Marshall lean us a little more on the blocking side for a TE?

Quite probably. I'd also go so far as to say it rules out the acquisition of a top receiving TE. Period. We'll be playing just as much '11' personnel as last year. Just with a top blocking WR and a TE who won't get rag-dolled on every play.

MightyGiants

Quote from: COGiantFan on March 08, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Ideally, the team gets a blocking TE who in a couple of years can be developed into a receiving threat (the time Marshall's contract runs out)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DanUK

If we pick a TE in a defensive draft and JPP on a Franchise tag paying $16m and the O-Line we have then you had better damn well make sure we get an elite level player.