News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Post-Combine Mock Drafts

Started by Bob In PA, March 08, 2017, 05:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Now that the combines are over, here are the players some "experts" are projecting to the Giants, either at pick 23 or (in the case of Casserly) after a trade up to pick 18:

Charley Casserly, NFL.com - Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin (Projected trade up with Titans to No. 18 pick)
Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com - Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange - Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
Emily Kaplan, MMQB - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
Peter Prisco, CBS Sports - Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple
Will Brinson, CBS Sports - Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State
Bucky Brooks, NFL.com - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

(1) Assuming all of the above players are available at pick 23, who is your first choice?
(2) Assuming the Giants don't trade up and Ramczyk is gone, now who is your first choice?
(3) Which player do you think THE GIANTS will actually take? (could be anyone one, whether or not he's on the list)
(4) Which player, if taken by the Giants, would cause you to throw the remote at your TV set?

Bob

PS. My answers: (1) Ramczyk; (2) McCaffrey (sorry, he's too perfect a fit to pass up); (3) McCaffrey (the Giants love "legacy" picks; his dad was a Giant); (4) none would bother me, assuming they can't re-sign Hankins.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Assuming all of those guys were available at 23, I'd be hard pressed to choose between OJ Howard and McCaffrey with maybe a slight edge to McCaffrey. I don't think OJ will make it past 15 or 16 on day one, but stranger things have happened on draft day
I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy:

Jaime

QB Watson - I don't believe he's got the football IQ to excel at the next level.

DT McDowell - thinking we're overdrafting a bit with him at number 23 overall.

LB Reddick - not sold on the hype, a bit of a workout Warrior. We have bigger needs.

TE Howard - right in our wheelhouse. Proven Player, mis-match nitemare. Strong position of  need.

RB McCaffery - Frank Gifford Lite. At 197 lbs. Don't think heither is  built for the long haul.

OT Bolles - 2nd Rd. Talent that's getting kicked up the food chain because of a shallow OL pool.

OT Ramczyk - small body of work. Babywhales has dah Skinney on this Prospect.

My two cents...

Shoelessjoe

Howard first then McCaffery and Peppers who can play anywhere on the field including offense, defense and special teams.  If all 3 are available then I don't think that we could go wrong with either of them.

madbadger

Quote from: Jaime on March 08, 2017, 08:15:30 PM
QB Watson - I don't believe he's got the football IQ to excel at the next level.

LB Reddick - not sold on the hype, a bit of a workout Warrior. We have bigger needs.

TE Howard - right in our wheelhouse. Proven Player, mis-match nitemare. Strong position of  need.

RB McCaffery - Frank Gifford Lite. At 197 lbs. Don't think heither is  built for the long haul.

OT Bolles - 2nd Rd. Talent that's getting kicked up the food chain because of a shallow OL pool.

My two cents...

Coming out of UVA Tiki Barber was 195 pounds, Warwick Dunn was 185 and Jamal Charles was under 200 as well. If you're really fast it isn't an issue.  I don't see him as an every down back, but you can use him in that role on a limited basis. You can also use him on third down, in the slot, and returning punts and kickoffs. Versatility makes him valuable at that spot IMHO.

Philosophers

Didnt they say the same thing anout Marshawn Lynch when he came out of Cal that he'd never be an everyday back in the NFL due to his size?  Well we know how that story ended.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 08, 2017, 05:20:59 PM
Now that the combines are over, here are the players some "experts" are projecting to the Giants, either at pick 23 or (in the case of Casserly) after a trade up to pick 18:

Charley Casserly, NFL.com - Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin (Projected trade up with Titans to No. 18 pick)
Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com - Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange - Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
Emily Kaplan, MMQB - O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
Peter Prisco, CBS Sports - Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple
Will Brinson, CBS Sports - Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State
Bucky Brooks, NFL.com - Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

(1) Assuming all of the above players are available at pick 23, who is your first choice?
(2) Assuming the Giants don't trade up and Ramczyk is gone, now who is your first choice?
(3) Which player do you think THE GIANTS will actually take? (could be anyone one, whether or not he's on the list)
(4) Which player, if taken by the Giants, would cause you to throw the remote at your TV set?

Bob

PS. My answers: (1) Ramczyk; (2) McCaffrey (sorry, he's too perfect a fit to pass up); (3) McCaffrey (the Giants love "legacy" picks; his dad was a Giant); (4) none would bother me, assuming they can't re-sign Hankins.

My order of preference:

1)  OJ Howard
2) Ramczyk
3) McCaffrey
4) Bolles
5) Reddick
6) McDowell
7) Watson
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jaime on March 08, 2017, 08:15:30 PM

My two cents...

I mostly agree with this with only a couple of slight changes (just my opinions)

I think you are right about Watson. Very talented athlete, but question his ability to become a cerebral QB instead of an athletic QB....and the cerebral part is what separates the men from the boys in the long haul. I'd take Davis Webb over Watson who I believe has the highest upside of all the QB's, but will need a couple years of NFL mentoring and physical development.

I also think McCaffrey is also right in our wheel house the way OJ Howard is, but do not see his weight as a problem. He would be a dangerous weapon to add to our arsenal and personally, I think he'd become Eli's go-to guy the way Romo always went to Witten when he absolutely needed to move the ball downfield. Witten made Romo in my ever so humble opinion, as he bailed him out over and over and over.

I also think Bolles is 1st round material. I'm just not sold that we should burn our no.1 on an offensive lineman that probably won't be NFL ready for a couple years. I would like the pick to go to a player that will be used extensively from day 1. It's exceedingly rare for an offensive lineman to come out of college and be able to take the next step into the NFL without a ton of work first. The trenches are filled with real men, not just athletes who are used to using their quickness and size advantage during college to over match an opponent. In the trenches, there are almost no over matches....(see Flowers)
I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy: