News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

With the 23rd pick in the 2017 draft the Giants take OT/OG Dion Dawkins

Started by MightyGiants, March 11, 2017, 09:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

todge

If Dawkins is the highest rated player on your Board - and it is time to make your selection- and you have spent considerable time scouting, interviewing and working out Dawkins- then why would you give up the selection?

Moving down is always embraced by fans. But there is a reason why the Giants have not moved down in 10 years and aren't likely to do it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 11, 2017, 12:27:55 PM
Exactly!

Some will argue you trade down.  Former front office guy and coach is very fond of reminding fans that you trade down when you multiple targets and you don't if you are targeting one player.  It takes only one team that feels like you do, for the trade down to turn into a disaster

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On the money Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

londonblue

I think we're taking a DL in round one. Just my gut feel that they will value interior pass rush or a hybrid DE/DT option higher than a top TE or the late first round tackle options (as all have issues). Despite our relative depth WR or CB is always a possibility with Reese.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

It's funny, I just got back from my walk.   2 things, it's fricken cold outside here in NJ, especially for March.  The second thing is that I was listening to the Big Blue Kickoff Live podcast and they were talking about Forest Lamp being the Giants first round pick.

My thought is this:  Why take a small school G/C prospect who's arms are too short to play tackle (and he is slighly smaller with much shorter arms) when you can draft a small school G/T prospect who you can put at LT? 

Lamp may have a slightly higher floor but Dawkins has a much higher ceiling.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jerseyguy

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 11, 2017, 10:28:17 AM
Guys,

I can understand and appreciate the assertion that McCaffrey would be a better player.  However, I subscribe to the school of thought that you need to build your line before you add skill players (with the exception of franchise QB).   The team can realistically get a starting caliber RG in round 2 and maybe three, they are not going to find any starting caliber OTs after they pick at 23.   

Drafting McCaffrey would be too similar to drafting David Wilson to run behind a poor line.  Zeke looked like such a great pick for the Cowboys because they had a great line to block for him.
if we really draft by BPA then McCaffrey has to be a better choice  talent wise than a bottom of the barrel lineman

gregf

Great thread Mighty, thanks. On draft day I'll be watching the three tackkes, Bolles, Ramcyzk, Robinson, and now Dawkins. I also have Lamp on my list as well. Mcaffry and the 2 tight ends would be tempting too. But we have to fix the line.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Hadron

Guys,

I can understand and appreciate the assertion that McCaffrey would be a better player.  However, I subscribe to the school of thought that you need to build your line before you add skill players (with the exception of franchise QB).   The team can realistically get a starting caliber RG in round 2 and maybe three, they are not going to find any starting caliber OTs after they pick at 23.   

Drafting McCaffrey would be too similar to drafting David Wilson to run behind a poor line.  Zeke looked like such a great pick for the Cowboys because they had a great line to block for him.

Wait...you mean picking David Wilson no o-line in front of him was a bad idea?

jerseyguy

Guys,

nobody would disagree with you about building the line first but my reason for taking McCaffrey in round one is adding more talent to the offense because of time constraints with Eli's window starting to close...

UKGiantsFan

I guess I won't be winning a prize for guessing who Rich's draft crush is this year!!  ;)

If we take Dawkins hopefully it works out better than the last time a Rich favourite was tabbed. That was DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa and right now we should be drafting to replace him :P

FWIW I wouldn't rule out Lamp as our 1st round pick. He proved capable of handling Alabama's best players one on one, is very strong, super athletic and his arms are longer than those of perennial Pro Bowler Joe Thomas. Will he pass the Giants filters at Tackle? Possibly not but I get the feeling someone will give him a shot to play there.

MightyGiants

Here is an example of quick athletic "LT Feet".   Against Penn State Dakins takes on and successfully blocks a corner blitzer (they show it in slow motion after the play).   I doubt Flowers could have done that even today.

https://youtu.be/EDVU7XeJSSU?t=431

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on March 12, 2017, 06:45:25 AM
I guess I won't be winning a prize for guessing who Rich's draft crush is this year!!  ;)

If we take Dawkins hopefully it works out better than the last time a Rich favourite was tabbed. That was DE Owamagbe Odighizuwa and right now we should be drafting to replace him :P

FWIW I wouldn't rule out Lamp as our 1st round pick. He proved capable of handling Alabama's best players one on one, is very strong, super athletic and his arms are longer than those of perennial Pro Bowler Joe Thomas. Will he pass the Giants filters at Tackle? Possibly not but I get the feeling someone will give him a shot to play there.

I've thought the same thing about Lamp. There aren't a ton of gems to be had in this draft for the offensive line - Lamp is one of them IMO.

Not a sleeper by any means, but probably a guy who could be had at the back end of the draft is offensive tackle Dan Skipper. He's friggin huge! 6'10" 310 lbs and has potential. He would need to be coached up to play at the NFL level, but that pretty much defines every OT prospect. He would not be a huge risk and possibly end up being a steal in the 5th or 6th round. Like every prospect - no one knows for sure if they will pan out and after the first two or three picks, you take risks and hope they pan out.

Regardless, I kinda like the thought of Skipper on the team.

I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 12, 2017, 08:51:32 AM
I've thought the same thing about Lamp. There aren't a ton of gems to be had in this draft for the offensive line - Lamp is one of them IMO.

Not a sleeper by any means, but probably a guy who could be had at the back end of the draft is offensive tackle Dan Skipper. He's friggin huge! 6'10" 310 lbs and has potential. He would need to be coached up to play at the NFL level, but that pretty much defines every OT prospect. He would not be a huge risk and possibly end up being a steal in the 5th or 6th round. Like every prospect - no one knows for sure if they will pan out and after the first two or three picks, you take risks and hope they pan out.

Regardless, I kinda like the thought of Skipper on the team.

JBG,

Greg Gabriel taught me there is such a thing as too tall when it comes to OTs.    They get that tall and they simply are unable to get their pads low enough to win the leverage battles. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I agree with being "too tall" and that is the reason he will be on the board later in the draft, but I also think it has a lot to do with a player's frame. A player built like the "Hulk" is better than a player built like Kareem Abdul Jabar. It's all about proportional distribution in both frame and mass. Staying low with good knee bend is essential whether a person is 6' or 6'10". It might be easier for short guys to stay low, but they bring other issues to the table. If Skipper was 3 inches shorter, he'd be in the talks for going in the front half of the draft. Basically, the length of an average pinky finger.

Regardless, some analysts are very high on him and as we all know, there are no "sure things" in the draft except for a handful of studs that will be off the board on day one - and even many of those will not pan out to be what the team that drafted them hoped for. At the end of the draft, you reach....and if lucky, a few good ones fall through the cracks. I like Skipper, but would not want to see a high draft pick burned on him.
I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy:

MightyGiants

Quote from: jerseyguy on March 11, 2017, 05:25:49 PM
nobody would disagree with you about building the line first but my reason for taking McCaffrey in round one is adding more talent to the offense because of time constraints with Eli's window starting to close...

The idea of drafting a RB to fix the offensive line problems was tried when the drafted David Wilson and it did not work.   Granted Wilson's career was cut short but prior to that Wilson struggled trying to rush behind an aging inadequate line. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I dont want the word "lazy" associated with our pick at 23.  Had too much of that