News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

With the 23rd pick in the 2017 draft the Giants take OT/OG Dion Dawkins

Started by MightyGiants, March 11, 2017, 09:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiderblue43

Great thread. I would love McCaffrey's versatility..he will be a star..a Frank Gifford type...do anything. Dawkins is very intriguing but I want juice added to Eli's arsenal.

President Rick

this year's mocks are all over the place and I see no way to predict who'll be there for us at #23.   however, it does seem that some [and an increasing number] of the potential draftees are already situational players  [read alabama's ER named williams] making it even harder to judge where they will fit in an nfl style O or esp. on the D.  As for the O linemen, that often means a ? as to whether he's G or T, pass or run blocker or both.   For the TE, blocker, receiver, both??  And for the RB's, for whom I'd not want to use a first round pick - except once in a decade when a zeke elliott comes along if I had the chance - ???'s about can he pass block, catch the ball, etc.  All these IMO result from the changes in the college game, incl. the spread O and the rise of situational players.  These college rosters are 95 strong so it's easy to see how college coaches can move to the situational format [rotate and rest with your situational guys].  So if we take a D. Dawkins, it may be because he is the BPA left to us at 23 , when most of the "sure things" are gone and some of the remaining players are situational guys [like williams] or simply untried at some of the nfl skills we want to see.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

XNYrnLA

As far as Reach picks goes Lamp is not only a better prospect in my opinion, he is rated much higher than Dawkins... he looks much better on tape. I also like Robinson's aggressive and quickness on tape.
If we dont go Oline in the 1st then Feeney in the 2nd followed by Dawkins are not bad picks.
"" This team is now 3 players away from being a winning playoff team ""

MightyGiants

Quote from: XNYrnLA on March 13, 2017, 12:56:36 PM
As far as Reach picks goes Lamp is not only a better prospect in my opinion, he is rated much higher than Dawkins... he looks much better on tape. I also like Robinson's aggressive and quickness on tape.
If we dont go Oline in the 1st then Feeney in the 2nd followed by Dawkins are not bad picks.

Lamp does look like a very solid prospect, but I just don't see that there is any way he stays out OT.  He is a G/C prospect and a good one at that.   What I like about Dawkins is that with his extra height (compared to Lamp) and his 3 inch longer arms he has the ability to stay outside at OT.   As for Cam Robinson when I looked at the tape I thought I was watching some old Ereck Flowers film.  Robinson is another big man with zero technique.   

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jerseyguy

Quote from: President Rick on March 13, 2017, 10:33:19 AM
this year's mocks are all over the place and I see no way to predict who'll be there for us at #23.   however, it does seem that some [and an increasing number] of the potential draftees are already situational players  [read alabama's ER named williams] making it even harder to judge where they will fit in an nfl style O or esp. on the D.  As for the O linemen, that often means a ? as to whether he's G or T, pass or run blocker or both.   For the TE, blocker, receiver, both??  And for the RB's, for whom I'd not want to use a first round pick - except once in a decade when a zeke elliott comes along if I had the chance - ???'s about can he pass block, catch the ball, etc.  All these IMO result from the changes in the college game, incl. the spread O and the rise of situational players.  These college rosters are 95 strong so it's easy to see how college coaches can move to the situational format [rotate and rest with your situational guys].  So if we take a D. Dawkins, it may be because he is the BPA left to us at 23 , when most of the "sure things" are gone and some of the remaining players are situational guys [like williams] or simply untried at some of the nfl skills we want to see.
this is just a question because I don't know but what kind of a blocker is Ezekiel Elliot or is he just a very good runner..